The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by green.tea
Complex obstacles doesnt necessarily mean terrain. The Americans aren't so good at using the complexity of an overall situation be it terrain or other complexities that require adaptive thinking.

False. During an occupation they sometimes lack nuance.

During an invasion and attack they get the job done at an unbelievable rate of knots.
Original post by Drewski
False. During an occupation they sometimes lack nuance.

During an invasion and attack they get the job done at an unbelievable rate of knots.

Your just playing with words. The Taliban prefer to let the Americans advance into their country so that they can use their limited weaponry to best effect but then it's not a war anymore so doesnt count? They invade effectively because trying to stop them at that point would be the most idiotic tactic ever. Your basically saying that America is great at wars against people who stand there while the Americans run them over with tanks. Anyone who gets out of the way is an asymmetric gurilla in an occupation and not a war.
Reply 662
Original post by green.tea
Your just playing with words. The Taliban prefer to let the Americans advance into their country so that they can use their limited weaponry to best effect but then it's not a war anymore so doesnt count? They invade effectively because trying to stop them at that point would be the most idiotic tactic ever. Your basically saying that America is great at wars against people who stand there while the Americans run them over with tanks. Anyone who gets out of the way is an asymmetric gurilla in an occupation and not a war.

No. I'm trying to help you understand that there are 2 distinct phases of fighting and that you're making a lack of flexibility with one of them mean an ineptitude at the other. That's simply not the case.

America is superb - and superbly equipped - for wars against countries. It is not so well trained and mentally prepared for fighting against, essentially, gangs.

If (and it is a big 'if') Korea goes hot then it will be a war against a country with a formed Army, not small bands of gangs roving the wild. In that particular style of engagement they are unbeaten.
Original post by Drewski
No. I'm trying to help you understand that there are 2 distinct phases of fighting and that you're making a lack of flexibility with one of them mean an ineptitude at the other. That's simply not the case.

America is superb - and superbly equipped - for wars against countries. It is not so well trained and mentally prepared for fighting against, essentially, gangs.

If (and it is a big 'if') Korea goes hot then it will be a war against a country with a formed Army, not small bands of gangs roving the wild. In that particular style of engagement they are unbeaten.

Vietnam War? WW1?
Reply 664
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Vietnam War? WW1?

In Vietnam they won just about every battle they engaged in. That war was lost at a political level and not due to any significant flaw on the ground.
The only major criticism about them in WW1 is only deciding to turn up 3/4 of the way through... (they've got new watches since, however).
It seems to have gone very quiet on the North Korean front. Have they said much in the past few days, any reaction to Kerrys address yesterday?
A Japanese official has made quite a funny blunder (in a dark humour sort of way) by accidently sending out an alert saying North Korea has launched a missile instead of sending out an alert to announce that Kobe has been struck by magnitude 6.3 earthquake.

http://news.sky.com/story/1077637/north-korea-missile-alert-after-japan-blunder

Suppose it isn't totally relevant to what North Korea is doing, but still...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AgentSushi
It seems to have gone very quiet on the North Korean front. Have they said much in the past few days, any reaction to Kerrys address yesterday?

There was only a scare in Japan when an official accidentally announced the launch of a North Korean missile instead of sending an alert about a strong earthquake.

Apart from that, John Kerry's only spoken to the Chinese President urging China to help end the North Korean crisis.

No response from North Korea yet.
Original post by Razzamoly
A Japanese official has made quite a funny blunder (in a dark humour sort of way) by accidently sending out an alert saying North Korea has launched a missile instead of sending out an alert to announce that Kobe has been struck by magnitude 6.3 earthquake.

http://news.sky.com/story/1077637/north-korea-missile-alert-after-japan-blunder

It only takes one silly mistake....
Original post by HumanSupremacist
It only takes one silly mistake....

North Korean officials have apologised for launching their Musodong missile at downtown Tokyo... apparently they misheard Mr Kim say

"It is time for lunch"
I find it questionable (rude?) that a Secretary of State is meeting the President of China - surely, the POTUS should be meeting the Chinese President? :confused:
Original post by the bear
North Korean officials have apologised for launching their Musodong missile at downtown Tokyo... apparently they misheard Mr Kim say

"It is time for lunch"

:lol:
Reply 672
I find it questionable (rude?) that a Secretary of State is meeting the President of China - surely, the POTUS should be meeting the Chinese President? :confused:

I think because he visited him it tends to make it alright. Had the president of China gone to the States and not been met by Obama you might have issues. Clearly China is fine with it though or they would not have allowed the meeting
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
I think because she visited him it tends to make it alright. Had the president of China gone to the States and not been met by Obama you might have issues. Clearly China is fine with it though or they would not have allowed the meeting

I think you meant he? :wink: :tongue:

I just think that it should be more about projecting an image rather than being pedantic - i.e. some would feel like the POTUS isn't taking things seriously. Or maybe they don't NK is much of a threat?
Reply 674

I just think that it should be more about projecting an image rather than being pedantic - i.e. some would feel like the POTUS isn't taking things seriously. Or maybe they don't NK is much of a threat?

Nothing more than standard practise. When Leaders go over it becomes a State visit and basically just tourism, when Secretaries of State/Foreign Secretaries/whatever their title go over it's more about the issues. We do exactly the same thing and have done for a long time. Nothing to see here, move on.
Original post by Drewski
Nothing more than standard practise. When Leaders go over it becomes a State visit and basically just tourism, when Secretaries of State/Foreign Secretaries/whatever their title go over it's more about the issues. We do exactly the same thing and have done for a long time. Nothing to see here, move on.

I'm just saying... :colondollar:

It's akin to a division manager of one company meeting the CEO of another, whilst the CEO of the former company stays at home and....plays golf? :lol:
Reply 676

A state visit to China by Obama would have been a hell of a lot of hassle for both sides though. And yeah I'm still thinking it's clinton not Kerry :colondollar:
When and how do you think North Korea will be liberated? Do you think anytime soon or will it take many of years?
Original post by luckylaurax
When and how do you think North Korea will be liberated? Do you think anytime soon or will it take many of years?

If China or the United States do not put extreme pressure on North Korea (possibly even through military means) or seek to solve this maturely, then NK will continue in the same vein it has been in and will also be potentially more dangerous and powerful (especially when it is a full nuclear power). North Korea, when it is a full nuclear power, may in the future even seek to use its improved nuclear weapons as a deterrent against the US or South Korea to invade SK (if SK hasn't gotten nukes by then).
If China or the United States do not put extreme pressure on North Korea (possibly even through military means) or seek to solve this maturely, then NK will continue in the same vein it has been in and will also be potentially more dangerous and powerful (especially when it is a full nuclear power). North Korea, when it is a full nuclear power, may in the future even seek to use its improved nuclear weapons as a deterrent against the US or South Korea to invade SK (if SK hasn't gotten nukes by then).

The United States and Russia didn't go through the whole Cold War without developing anti nuclear technology you know. They would need a very large amount of nuclear missiles to hit the US or Japan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending