The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by nukethemaly
It's not that bad at all, lots of repeats of your basic AS stuff, like coordinate geometry, binomials, and trapezium rule. Mostly focused around differentiation and integration. If you're doing well with AS, you shouldn't struggle.

Really? All these stuff people have posted are like Arabic to me D:
Original post by nukethemaly
My average friend wishes you luck. And yes it is! What's yours?

tell her i said thank you (oo this is proper ridiculous, how did this start haha!) well who would of thought my name is Mustafa Aly haha :eek:
Original post by Jkizer
Really? All these stuff people have posted are like Arabic to me D:

arabic is easy !! :biggrin:
Reply 643
Original post by masryboy94
ok let me rephrase that :P for someone AVERAGE in A2 maths, he isn't omg amazing and isn't oo your crap, just normal, would he find it hard especially at first? and how many 'weeks' would it take to get a good grip of this chapter, in the sense that when this person does a soloman paper, the integration section is pretty straightforward? :P

It's not about the difficulty of the Material, I only realised that's not what C3 or C4 is about. You can only get an A* if you know how to approach each problem in a Very Systematic Way.

I still have a Number of Past Papers to do but so far I have learnt alot from Marking my own Papers:

Here is what I do, when I see Integration questions - sounds long but it makes things sooooo much easier. Pre-Exam Tip I think as well - Simplify algebra as MUCH as possible, take out Constants always.

1. Can I solve this via simple methods - Recognition, or Very Basic Substituion. YES, Solve NO move on. (Normally 3-5 Mark Questions Simplest form)

2. Can I express everything in terms of the Parameter i.e. in just t instead of x,y and change limits? YES, Attempt to Solve, NO move on. (Normally Definite Integrals, 7-10 Marks, depending on how awkward the algebra/identities are)

3. If that didn't work and there are a Bunch of Trigonometric Identities then refer to C3 Method - how to approach Trigonometry Questions.
a. What is the basic C2 Identity I know? How can I derive anything, Look at my Datasheet for Ideas, of what each term can be expressed as.
b. C4 Differentials, and Integrals given to you, do they fit anywhere here?

Then attempt to solve. Practice is the only way you can see the easiest way to solve something.

But when I do this style of Approaching Questions I rarely get things wrong when it comes to method. The only things that DUMBFOUND me are things you are supposed to remember from C1/C2.

It's not about the material, its all about How to Systematically Tackle each type of question.

Had I known this earlier I would have found Mathematics so easy. Then again I still have like 12 Past Papers to go for D1, C3 and C4.
(edited 11 years ago)
hey guys, does anyone know where i can get delphis papers for C3 and C4 from? If so, please quote me
Thanks
Reply 645
Original post by tiny hobbit
Either direction is fine, or , for that matter, 2 (B-A) or 0.5 (B-A). You must put "r =" at the front though so that it is a line equation

Ah thanks again Tiny Hobbit! Always to the rescue at the perfect time.
Reply 646
Original post by sechdent8
hey guys, does anyone know where i can get delphis papers for C3 and C4 from? If so, please quote me
Thanks

I could only find one lol: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=192165
Reply 647
i got 92/100 ums in jan for C3, im looking to get an A*, anyone any tips please, and is c4 much harder, i mean do people always usually get lower on C4 than C3 :smile:
Anyone have the Jan 2013 paper for C4?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 649
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anyone have the Jan 2013 paper for C4?

you're having trouble because you need Winrar to extract the files. Here's a link to Winrar: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (select the correct link for your Operating system to download). Then, click on this link to download january 2013 papers: http://www.mediafire.com/?7276q53giku5zd2
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zzzyax
i got 92/100 ums in jan for C3, im looking to get an A*, anyone any tips please, and is c4 much harder, i mean do people always usually get lower on C4 than C3 :smile:

I'd say practice more difficult questions than those in the past papers. Solomon/Elmwood papers should do, I wouldn't go as far as STEP just for C4 practice. The reason for this is that, as of late, Edexcel have been including at least one relatively tricky question in their exam papers. If you're already used to doing slightly more difficult questions, these shouldn't be a problem for you. Plus all the normal questions will seem like a piece of cake after that!
Can someone PLEASE attach the mark scheme and paper.
nm, did what you said and nothing... DX
Reply 652
Original post by justinawe
I'd say practice more difficult questions than those in the past papers. Solomon/Elmwood papers should do, I wouldn't go as far as STEP just for C4 practice. The reason for this is that, as of late, Edexcel have been including at least one relatively tricky question in their exam papers. If you're already used to doing slightly more difficult questions, these shouldn't be a problem for you. Plus all the normal questions will seem like a piece of cake after that!

Thanks for this, yeah everyone who gets great marks in Maths seems to be saying this.

Cheers again for re-enforcing it, I feel like I am going on the right path.
Original post by nm786
that's strange it should've worked. Anyway, see attached for C4 paper and mark scheme.

Thank you SO MUCH. Free reps!
Reply 654
Original post by Scienceisgood
Thank you SO MUCH. Free reps!

No problem. :biggrin:
Reply 655
Original post by justinawe

Thanks, so is it good idea to go through step papers and look for hard c4 questions?:smile:
Original post by Zzzyax
Thanks, so is it good idea to go through step papers and look for hard c4 questions?:smile:

He said he wouldnt go that far. Just stick to Solomon and Elmwood papers.
Reply 657
Quick Question just for understanding sakes.

I know the fact that the closet distance from lets say Line L to point P, would be the perpendicular distance, but WHY is this?

Can anyone care to explain or provide a link. I know it's applicable in C4 Vectors, but it just came up in a Physics 5 Question I did and I realized I don't understand the logic behind why it is that way.

THANK YOU
Reply 658
Original post by Better
Quick Question just for understanding sakes.

I know the fact that the closet distance from lets say Line L to point P, would be the perpendicular distance, but WHY is this?

Can anyone care to explain or provide a link. I know it's applicable in C4 Vectors, but it just came up in a Physics 5 Question I did and I realized I don't understand the logic behind why it is that way.

THANK YOU

Dunno if this'll help, but referring to the following diagram, you can see that any line other than the perpendicular is longer, so perpendicular distance is the shortest :smile: image002.gif
Reply 659
Original post by Lilmzbest
Dunno if this'll help, but referring to the following diagram, you can see that any line other than the perpendicular is longer, so perpendicular distance is the shortest :smile: image002.gif

Oh I get you so if I was to "rotate" if I can call it that the green line, I can see its longer.

So in essence its just like a Mathematical truth or something? like Pythagoras?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending