The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Msc Petroleum Engineering

Is there anyone who got an offer for 2013-2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup I've got my offer through and confirmed :smile:

Have you?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by LyndaN
Yup I've got my offer through and confirmed :smile:

Have you?

Congratulations!!!
I'm on waiting list and not in a good position.. 64.. :frown: And I don't know if there is any chance according to previous years' experience of getting in after the rejections of offers, and the withdrawal of other waiting list applicants... Anybody who has any idea about that?
Can you share your academic profile though? experience etc..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
My profile is:

I'm 23 years old, currently working offshore in drilling for Schlumberger, mainly on Shell projects, and have been for about 18 months now.
Before that I had a year placement with ExxonMobil just after I graduated, but it was in Public and Government Affairs.

I graduated from King's College London in 2010 with a 1:1 BEng in Mechanical Engineering and was very active in the extra curricular aspects of the uni.

I have no idea what my references were like as I never saw them, they were submitted directly to the university. My sister and boyfriend said my personal statement was good, but then again, they are my sister and my boyfriend, so they would be a bit bias! But I was very clear in my personal statement about exactly what position I wanted after the masters and why I was doing the masters and possibly leaving my current company, none of the faffing around.

The scholarship interviews are coming up in May 31 which I am very nervous about. Is anyone else attending?
Reply 4
Original post by renaki123
Congratulations!!!
I'm on waiting list and not in a good position.. 64.. :frown: And I don't know if there is any chance according to previous years' experience of getting in after the rejections of offers, and the withdrawal of other waiting list applicants... Anybody who has any idea about that?
Can you share your academic profile though? experience etc..

Why dont you email someone in the admissions team if you want some questions answered? I'm sure they can answer your questions better than anyone on these forums.
Reply 5
I have accepted my offer for this Msc too and they invited me to the scholarships interviews on the May 31 but I don't have an appointement yet, do you?
Reply 6
Original post by Spark54
I have accepted my offer for this Msc too and they invited me to the scholarships interviews on the May 31 but I don't have an appointement yet, do you?

Well, they said they would send out the agendas sometime this month, so they should be hitting our mailboxes sometimes soon. :smile:
Reply 7
Ok, because I accepted lately my offer so I just wanted to be sure they didn't forget me :smile: I asked an alumni about the scholarship, he told me it wasn't too hard to get, especially if you have worked in the Petroleum sector before (which is not my case...). Good luck with your interview!
Reply 8
Ok, well thats good to know! I'm sure you'll be fine in any case. As long as you can demonstrate a keen interest in the subject, I'm sure they'll be happy to sponsor you :smile:
Reply 9
I applied for the msc pet. geophysics course last year, I was offered a place and attended interview for a scholarship, although I was not successful. I assume the process is the same for the other courses.

The interview was carried out by the course director and representatives from several oil companies who fund the scholarships. The set up was a bit intimidating, you're at a table on your own and they are in a kind of horse shoe arrangement around you. They were very friendly though, there were no trick questions or anything so don't worry.

The questions were pretty standard fare - the first was "Why this subject?", then there were a few competency based questions, things like "tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict" etc. Read over your application since they have it in front of them - if you've mentioned a project or work experience you've done, they are likely to ask you something about it.

The final question was "you have 30 seconds to tell us why we should give the scholarship to you". If the format is the same this year, it would be a good idea to think about how you would answer this, imo it was the more important question - if you've been given an offer they are already happy with your academic performance, so motivation is a big part I think.

Show an interest in the industry - have a look at the Society of Petroleum engineers, membership is cheap or free for students, and you can mention that you are a member. They also offer separate funding that you can apply for in the event you don't get the Msc scholarship.
Reply 10
Original post by sudo_euclid
I applied for the msc pet. geophysics course last year, I was offered a place and attended interview for a scholarship, although I was not successful. I assume the process is the same for the other courses.

The interview was carried out by the course director and representatives from several oil companies who fund the scholarships. The set up was a bit intimidating, you're at a table on your own and they are in a kind of horse shoe arrangement around you. They were very friendly though, there were no trick questions or anything so don't worry.

The questions were pretty standard fare - the first was "Why this subject?", then there were a few competency based questions, things like "tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict" etc. Read over your application since they have it in front of them - if you've mentioned a project or work experience you've done, they are likely to ask you something about it.

The final question was "you have 30 seconds to tell us why we should give the scholarship to you". If the format is the same this year, it would be a good idea to think about how you would answer this, imo it was the more important question - if you've been given an offer they are already happy with your academic performance, so motivation is a big part I think.

Show an interest in the industry - have a look at the Society of Petroleum engineers, membership is cheap or free for students, and you can mention that you are a member. They also offer separate funding that you can apply for in the event you don't get the Msc scholarship.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah that definitely sounds like a question to prepare for!
Reply 11
Thanks a lot for your description of your interview! That's very helpful, I will do as you suggest, prepare the questions you had and subscribe to SPE. I hope I will get this scholarship!
Reply 12
I was invited to the interviews too!
Reply 13
Nicee work!! See you there :smile:
Reply 14
Hi everybody! I wonder whether you could solve some doubts I have about admission to the Imperial's MSc Petroleum Engineering (or any other MSc at this university) .I aimed to apply for admission for the 2014/2015 programme. I'm currently studying Civil Engineering (BEng-4 years) at a Spanish uni, and if everything goes as expected, next year will be the last one there. The problem is that I don't know if I could be admitted when I'm still attending last year classes (my final qualifications would be awarded by July 2014).
The same happens with the demanded English level (I will obtain it either in 2013 or at the beginning of 2014). I infer from the application guidance notes that I can skip this data in the application form just indicating the date when those results will be released.
However, I'm not sure about this at all. Do you know if I can apply for a master program while studying the last year of the BEng degree? Other than this, I suppose my lack of professional experience is not a plus point for my admission, although I have outstanding marks.
Thanks in advance! :tongue:
Reply 15
Hi,
No, being in the last year of your studies won't be a problem or not having your IELTS results. They will issue a conditional offer asking for the english requirement and the degree of your studies.
When I did my application for IC last January, I was just like you, and here I am holding an offer for this Msc.
Good luck!!
Reply 16
Thanks! :smile: By the way, do you know the maximum numberof students that can be admitted to this MSc? I suppose it's important to applywell in advance before the process closes in March. If the selection is made inorder of application, delaying it could be disastrous. As admission is openedin mid-november, wouldn’t be the best option to
send everything within the firs two or three months?

Apart fromthis renaki123, you said you took the IELTS. Here in Spain the most famousenglish exams are Cambridge ESOL. This year I got Advanced grade C, and IC asksfor Proficiency grade B, which is not feasible for me by the moment (if it wasa C… but a B!!...). My teacherrecommended me to sit for the TOEFL, ´cos said that it was easier… What do youthink the best option is, IELTS, TOEFL or Profic.(almost discarded)?
Sorry forall these questions, but I haven’t got a clue about some issues…:frown:
Reply 17
Original post by alvimore92
Thanks! :smile: By the way, do you know the maximum numberof students that can be admitted to this MSc? I suppose it's important to applywell in advance before the process closes in March. If the selection is made inorder of application, delaying it could be disastrous. As admission is openedin mid-november, wouldn’t be the best option to
send everything within the firs two or three months?

Apart fromthis renaki123, you said you took the IELTS. Here in Spain the most famousenglish exams are Cambridge ESOL. This year I got Advanced grade C, and IC asksfor Proficiency grade B, which is not feasible for me by the moment (if it wasa C… but a B!!...). My teacherrecommended me to sit for the TOEFL, ´cos said that it was easier… What do youthink the best option is, IELTS, TOEFL or Profic.(almost discarded)?
Sorry forall these questions, but I haven’t got a clue about some issues…:frown:

I think that around 60 students are in Pet. Eng. every year, I don't know an exact number.
They do some offers before they deadline, if someone has very special qualifications, but mainly, they gather all the applications that cover the minimum requirements (if they see by your so far grades for example that it is not feasible to get a first class, they reject you right away, long before the deadline) and they send the majority of the offers in the first 10 days of April, and they keep some people in the waiting list. It is important to do your application early, but not so crucial.
I think that IELTS and TOEFL are both quite easy. With a cambridge advanced C, i think you can score a band 7 in IELTS, or 100 in TOEFL.
Reply 18
Thank you again! really helpful.
Reply 19
Hi! i made a facebook group with the name Imperial Petroleum Engineering 2013-2014.. Everybody who got accepted, become members!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending