The Student Room Group

Is Sharia Law vs British Law - Which is more moral?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steevee
But it's the rich that currently finance these, if it cost the rich more and were optional, they simply would not pay, making those services unviable or a lot more expensive to the common man :lolwut:
you have said that the rich already don't use services such as transports or the health care system because they prefer private solutions - so, nothing would be lost

however, the main point is that free public services encourage waste
Original post by malikabdullah96
Please read my other posts before coming into the convo. I cant be asked to explain this again.
I have read your posts

you are just restating a mix of leftist/anticapitalist/hizb-ut tahrir standard fare

as I say : nothing to write home about
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by mariachi
you have said that the rich already don't use services such as transports or the health care system because they prefer private solutions - so, nothing would be lost

however, the main point is that free public services encourage waste

You've misunderstood. Currently the rich fund these, and the poor recieve the benefit, allowing them to get to work etc. Were we to move to your model, the price of these services would sky-rocket to the benefit of noone, as the rich would no longer pay the majoritry of the fee.
Original post by Steevee
You've misunderstood. Currently the rich fund these, and the poor recieve the benefit, allowing them to get to work etc. Were we to move to your model, the price of these services would sky-rocket to the benefit of noone, as the rich would no longer pay the majoritry of the fee.
no

it all depends on how the rate system would be organized, at which level the prices would be set etc

there is a logic in having some services free for the poorest, but not for the better off

a bit like the University system in many countries
Reply 184
Original post by Perseveranze
Not even a competition, Shariah is based on objective morals, whereas British Law is something that is legislated by man, prone to continues change [every 10 years or so] based on social pressure and various other factors.

You don't get executed for simply being gay in Sharia either.

Like 99% of the people replying to this thread would never have picked up a book on Shariah.

"Objective" refering to those morals believed by people in the 7th century? Very easy to be objective when you have no concept of other cultures/beliefs.

"British Law" refering to the legal system that has filtered through a predominantly Christian society (arguably another source of 'objective' truths) and that has been tweaked and changed to best incorporate the beliefs, feelings and sociably acceptable behaviour of countries within an empire that spanned 1/3 of the globe? A legal system that is still seen fit for usage by a large number of highly developed countries - as opposed to the system prevalent in some of the worlds most volatile areas?

You don't really need to pick up a book on Sharia Law... common sense works just fine. :biggrin:
Reply 185
no

it all depends on how the rate system would be organized, at which level the prices would be set etc

there is a logic in having some services free for the poorest, but not for the better off

a bit like the University system in many countries

I'm a little confused. Would the rich still be funding these services through their much higher tax contributions, and then paying again on top of that?
shariah had stopped being implemented in the Ottoman Caliphate long before its abolition in 1924

the tanzimat reforms in the 19th century - starting from about 1830 - were an effort at modernizing the failing Caliphate (already in deep crisis since at least 100 years) in order to try and catch up with the "infidel" West.

The jizyah was abolished, elections were held, homosexuality was decriminalized, universal conscription was introduced, civil and penal codes were adopted etc eventually, even slavery was abolished... but reforms didn't stop the decay. If possible, the rate even accelerated.

By the time Ataturk abolished the Caliphate, it was just an empty shell - and, most surely, it hadn't been an "Islamic State" for quite some time.

I agree it did start to fail in the end and there were many reasons but mainly because the muslims became laid back. The reform that happened did make many non-islamic changes but the way we can see the shariah was implemented was through the court system and how the judges past down rulings, they did it through the shariah and to ensure it was done through shariah, during the reformation period they issued a magazine in 1868 called Al-Majjalah which was used by judges to know what the shariah rulings were as at that time as I said the muslims got laid back and therefore didn't know as much of the system as they should of. You can even find court records pre 1924 for Turkey and most of the rulings that were carried out were on a certain understanding of shariah, it was a weak understanding but a form of shariah no less.

But I do agree to the fact that during the reformation things got very bad.
Original post by DavidSB
"Objective" refering to those morals believed by people in the 7th century? Very easy to be objective when you have no concept of other cultures/beliefs.

"British Law" refering to the legal system that has filtered through a predominantly Christian society (arguably another source of 'objective' truths) and that has been tweaked and changed to best incorporate the beliefs, feelings and sociably acceptable behaviour of countries within an empire that spanned 1/3 of the globe? A legal system that is still seen fit for usage by a large number of highly developed countries - as opposed to the system prevalent in some of the worlds most volatile areas?

You don't really need to pick up a book on Sharia Law... common sense works just fine. :biggrin:

Oh is that why Greece failed? Was it not developed enough to have capitalism? And what about Britain, no money for NHS, benefit cuts resulting in people going homeless, yet 4 million being spent on the funeral of Thacher meaning more debt. Things are great aren't they!
I have read your posts

you are just restating a mix of leftist/anticapitalist/hizb-ut tahrir standard fare

as I say : nothing to write home about

Yh, I follow the view of Hizb Ut Tahrir but can you please argue the points I made rather than telling me the viewpoint behind those points.
Original post by RealRecReal
I'm sure most people have misconceptions about Sharia Law as we will probably see from some posts here. Did you know that under Sharia Law citizens are given free water,gas and electricity?

So we should trade our freedom for the physical succour of sharia? No thank you.

By the way, please provide a citation.
Reply 190
It scares me 20 percent actually want a barbaric ancient law. This demonstrates why something needs to be done about the rise of Islam in the U.K. Lets be honest we would not have western society functioning the way it does with sharia law; no homosexuals, no women right, no freedom. I will end with a quote from a speech that was used last time the west faced a fight against freedom.
Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Also to add, anyone that wants this custom, why not just move to a country that enforces this law. Why make another culture slave to your customs? This is the place we call home, and you guys wish to breach that, enforces foreign laws and customs. Well i say no more!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kurtis143
Also to add, anyone that wants this custom, why not just move to a country that enforces this law. Why make another culture slave to your customs? This is the place we call home, and you guys wish to breach that, enforces foreign laws and customs. Well i say no more!

Their excuse is that there is no other Sharia Law country (they love the freedom & democracy here in Britain really).
Original post by posthumus
Their excuse is that there is no other Sharia Law country (they love the freedom & democracy here in Britain really).

Yes, they always say there's no true Sharia jurisdiction in the world (not even Iran and Saudi Arabia).

Of course, instead of concluding that this is a good indication that it's a dangerous, utopian philosophy, they demand to introduce it here.

You just know that even on its introduction, they would split into factions claiming its not true sharia, etc.
Wow loving the leading answers on the poll!
Reply 195
Original post by JohnPaul_
Death for apostasy. Rape victims punished. Only an idiot would support sharia law. It would also make the system collapse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bring forth your evidence. Don't ignore this.
Reply 196
Many Muslim women support Shariah so please stop speaking on their behalf.
Original post by GPODT

Muslim women enjoy being looked down on, almost bullied by men and having no sense of fashion or makeup and going out in a burka, going to work in a burka, sleeping in a burka?

Cool, okay!

Posted from TSR iPad
Original post by GPODT

Maybe in most cases it's because it is better for them to support it than oppose it ?

Imagine if they opposed it, can't imagine what would happen to those poor women :frown:
Reply 199
Original post by anonymouse01
Muslim women enjoy being looked down on, almost bullied by men and having no sense of fashion or makeup and going out in a burka, going to work in a burka, sleeping in a burka?

Cool, okay!

Posted from TSR iPad

Visit the ISOC thread and ask the sisters if they support Shariah law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending