The Student Room Group

How can I help my friend?

My friend who's 17 used to be very intelligent, sensible and great to hang around with. She broke up with her boyfriend of a year a few months ago, and since then it's all gone downhill for her. We started college last year and she's begun to dress a lot more revealingly and inappropriately. She wears crop tops, skirts, dresses and skin tight jeans all the time. During winter she dressed like it was summer. She has a stunning body (she's a dancer) and she looks pretty so she's getting plenty of male attention (just to spite her ex, who she still has feelings for). She's also giving up on her education basically; she's really intelligent but she's simply not trying anymore in maths because it requires effort, and she always moans that she's going to fail. She's turned into someone completely different, and recently told me that she was going to make a thing of leading guys on then sacking them off for, and I quote, 'banter init'. What can I do to help her? I don't know how to make her see how ridiculous she is being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
You can't help her. Trust me. That happened to my after I broke up with my gf. I only just realised after I got into university. And how I got into university is still a mystery considering the fact that I couldn't bother studying at all. Its just a phase. It will pass. How long it will last? I dunno. It lasted me about two years. It could be less for your friend.
Reply 2
Original post by JodieW
My friend who's 17 used to be very intelligent, sensible and great to hang around with. She broke up with her boyfriend of a year a few months ago, and since then it's all gone downhill for her. We started college last year and she's begun to dress a lot more revealingly and inappropriately. She wears crop tops, skirts, dresses and skin tight jeans all the time. During winter she dressed like it was summer. She has a stunning body (she's a dancer) and she looks pretty so she's getting plenty of male attention (just to spite her ex, who she still has feelings for). She's also giving up on her education basically; she's really intelligent but she's simply not trying anymore in maths because it requires effort, and she always moans that she's going to fail. She's turned into someone completely different, and recently told me that she was going to make a thing of leading guys on then sacking them off for, and I quote, 'banter init'. What can I do to help her? I don't know how to make her see how ridiculous she is being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes it's virtually impossible to make anyone see sense, no matter how clear it is. I have (had?) a friend who degenerated, I.e. started putting on this act of being a rich, smart Chelsea boy even though he's nothing like it (he comes from a humble background - and he's not what you'd call bright) - I've tried time and time again to make him see sense but he's completely stubborn. He goes on a spending spree, and on two occasions, impulse bought a Gucci wallet and a Mont Blanc pen, no word of a lie.

Sounds like you're in the same boat with your friend...and why don't you speak to her parents, or head of year if she's close to you? It's easier to deal with if people like them are actively involved.

But sometimes you'll have to let them do what they want to do, as much as you don't want to see them end up in **** later on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending