The Student Room Group

Dropping Out Of University

I am a first year student doing an LLB. My exams are coming up soon and I doubt I will pass the modules. I have been having doubts about my degree subject and wish to change to English. But it is such a huge decision that I am scared to do it..

What is the procedure for withdrawing?
Is it too late to apply to start an English degree this September 2013?

Would you recommend it, seeing as I would be rushing from one degree to another? Instead, should I take a gap year and apply September 2014 to sort my head out? I can't bear the thought of wasting 2 years....

Please help someone
Talk to your academic advisor about swapping degrees - you may very well be able to start English at your current uni in September. You'll have to talk to them anyway about dropping out so you may as well ask about switching courses.

If you want to go to another uni in September then your choices are limited as the UCAS deadline has passed. You can see what courses are in Extra, or you can go into Clearing, or you can wait another year and reapply normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Talk to your academic advisor about swapping degrees - you may very well be able to start English at your current uni in September. You'll have to talk to them anyway about dropping out so you may as well ask about switching courses.

If you want to go to another uni in September then your choices are limited as the UCAS deadline has passed. You can see what courses are in Extra, or you can go into Clearing, or you can wait another year and reapply normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.
Yes, I would like to apply for a different course at a different university (current university doesn't offer English).

If I go into Extra or Clearing, is that with my existing UCAS application - the UCAS application I used when applying to Law?
Original post by Yazooo
Thanks so much for your helpful reply.
Yes, I would like to apply for a different course at a different university (current university doesn't offer English).

If I go into Extra or Clearing, is that with my existing UCAS application - the UCAS application I used when applying to Law?

It's a new application cycle so you'll have to start a new application from scratch I'm afraid, including paying the application fee over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's a new application cycle so you'll have to start a new application from scratch I'm afraid, including paying the application fee over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dropped out a couple of weeks ago and am switching courses. I actually went to university in the USA, so it was a huge decision to move back home again. I'm a first year too! I'm definitely a lot happier closer to home and just sent off my application a couple of days ago so fingers crossed. The thing I'm scared about is regretting it later, not liking this new course as well, and making friends (because I will be nearly 20 and with a bunch of young 18 year olds.) I dropped out mainly because I wasn't happy and I was homesick, but I have also applied for a different course. I'm scared I'll drop out again but I know that this was the right decision... Life's too short to do something that makes you unhappy... Good luck!
Reply 5
oops I didn't mean to quote you there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending