The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma.b
It sucks more than that...it's awful having to ask potential suitors what religion they are so that I know I could tell the family or I should possibly smuggle him into the house and hide his Celtic top....

That's religion though - it makes barriers! I don't think I will ever get married, I reckon I'm passing my sell-by date soon! Haha!

But thanks dear! I just have more open thoughts than others, which I guess could be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: that does suck indeed... What would they do if you did bring a catholic/Sikh/Muslim home?:tongue:

Hmmm... If only everyone agreed on one religion or lack of :redface:

Yeah :smile:

We get the slipper :mmm:
Reply 3001
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:frown: that does suck indeed... What would they do if you did bring a catholic/Sikh/Muslim home?:tongue:

Hmmm... If only everyone agreed on one religion or lack of :redface:

Yeah :smile:

I don't think they would mind too much, just the expectations would be mucked up! They'd rather me marry a Sikh/Muslim than a Roman Catholic, but that's only because of my family history and Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland.
Like, I have no problems with Catholics! My step-mum is Catholic (my mum and step dad are the strict ones), and I love her! Some of my best friends are also Catholics, however I just think they don't want me to be 'tainted'.
Welcome to the wacky world of Northern Ireland Religious Debate and Politics!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning everyone :smile:
Original post by emma.b
I don't think they would mind too much, just the expectations would be mucked up! They'd rather me marry a Sikh/Muslim than a Roman Catholic, but that's only because of my family history and Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland.
Like, I have no problems with Catholics! My step-mum is Catholic (my mum and step dad are the strict ones), and I love her! Some of my best friends are also Catholics, however I just think they don't want me to be 'tainted'.
Welcome to the wacky world of Northern Ireland Religious Debate and Politics!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha, wow!!! Don't we all believe in the same god :frown: move to the other side of the sea :bigsmile:

Next year, apply to Oxford's UNIQ scheme gor experimental psychology!:biggrin: :yy: there's a chance you'll meet one of us there (although everyone'd probably be on different courses)

Original post by Elm Tree

Heey
Reply 3004
Hahahaha, wow!!! Don't we all believe in the same god :frown: move to the other side of the sea :bigsmile:

Next year, apply to Oxford's UNIQ scheme gor experimental psychology!:biggrin: :yy: there's a chance you'll meet one of us there (although everyone'd probably be on different courses)

Heey

We do, we just have different ways of showing it!:smile: Oh I'm planning on getting out of this hell-hole ASAP, don't worry...

Let's be serious now, there is no way I'm getting into Oxford! :frown: I'd love to but....I barely think I can get into Queens after Sixth Form!:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3005
Original post by Elm Tree

Morning!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm... My mum once threw a stool at me... :lol:

Original post by emma.b
We do, we just have different ways of showing it!:smile: Oh I'm planning on getting out of this hell-hole ASAP, don't worry...

Let's be serious now, there is no way I'm getting into Oxford! :frown: I'd love to but....I barely think I can get into Queens after Sixth Form!:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should different ways of showing it matter?:redface:

Hahaha, soon my friend :')

It's a summer school next year! So it'd be great! You can always try!!! :biggrin: your grades are good enough (after I'm finished with you and maths they'll be great!)
Reply 3007
Haha, sorry, sorry! Your impressions are spot on!

I just hope I manage them. I can't sleep at night knowing I may only get a C in my GCSE maths ahah;')
Oh no that doesn't sound good at all!:/ I'd tell my mother and step father to take a run and jump if they ever tried anything like that on me...between my sister and I, I am the disobedient, devil child!:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3008
Hmmm... My mum once threw a stool at me... :lol:

Why should different ways of showing it matter?:redface:

Hahaha, soon my friend :')

It's a summer school next year! So it'd be great! You can always try!!! :biggrin: your grades are good enough (after I'm finished with you and maths they'll be great!)

I guess from our point of view it doesn't, but when in Northern Ireland a common way of showing religion is to blow up police cars or maybe threaten families or beat up people...religion can get tricky!:L

I may just do that...We'll see! And the maths...oh dear I did a past paper and oh dear...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

See I go into a maths exam having revised the things I'm not good at, such a Surds or maybe Loci and Constructions. Then I sit down and realise not only am I bad at Surds and Loci and Constructions, I am also bad at inequalities, and probability, and estimation, and recurring decimals, and volumes and the list goes on and on.
Like really, how hard can it be?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd love a meet up, but chemistry is the one for next year at least :lol: would they be the same week do you think?

Original post by emma.b
I guess from our point of view it doesn't, but when in Northern Ireland a common way of showing religion is to blow up police cars or maybe threaten families or beat up people...religion can get tricky!:L

I may just do that...We'll see! And the maths...oh dear I did a past paper and oh dear...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

See I go into a maths exam having revised the things I'm not good at, such a Surds or maybe Loci and Constructions. Then I sit down and realise not only am I bad at Surds and Loci and Constructions, I am also bad at inequalities, and probability, and estimation, and recurring decimals, and volumes and the list goes on and on.
Like really, how hard can it be?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely God wouldn't want that though, see this is what I hate. Violence.

You should! Aurorae has the link above! :biggrin:

Right... We'll go through it... We'll start with surds:

Do you know how to simplify:
8\sqrt8 and 63\sqrt63
Reply 3010

Surely God wouldn't want that though, see this is what I hate. Violence.

You should! Aurorae has the link above! :biggrin:

Right... We'll go through it... We'll start with surds:

Do you know how to simplify:
8\sqrt8 and 63\sqrt63

I hate it too, you aren't alone! Yeah I bookmarked it for some reading later!
Oh dear Surds.
Urm, well, this is the thing....no.

I had a question that was rationalising denominators and it involved multiplying out two sets of brackets and it was easy, I just can't do simple things...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those are right :tongue:

My aim is to get everyone here an A or higher (if they ask for help)

Today. I'll do:
Surds Rules (addition/subtraction etc)
Simplifying Surds
Rationalising Surds
Reply 3012
LOOKING AT YOUR SPOILER I UNDERSTAND NOW! That doesn't seem too hard at all!

I think I over complicate things...
Yes maths, I need to revise maths badly!:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.b
I hate it too, you aren't alone! Yeah I bookmarked it for some reading later!
Oh dear Surds.
Urm, well, this is the thing....no.

I had a question that was rationalising denominators and it involved multiplying out two sets of brackets and it was easy, I just can't do simple things...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, we'll start off with basic rules:

a×bab\sqrt{a} \times \sqrt{b} \equiv \sqrt{ab} the three lines means equivalent.

abab\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}} \equiv \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}

ma+na(m+n)am \sqrt{a} + n \sqrt{a} \equiv (m+n)\sqrt{a}

Same with subtraction.

Now to simplify a surd, we look for two numbers that multiply to make the number in the bracket. We want a square number and a non square number.

84×24×2=22\sqrt{8} \equiv \sqrt{4 \times 2} \equiv \sqrt{4} \times \sqrt{2} = 2\sqrt{2} get it?

Your turn:
48\sqrt{48}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Confucian
Hey I remember you said there were many FSMQ past papers online? I've tried looking for some older ones and I've find all of them from 2003-onwards - do you know of places where you can find papers earlier than that?

I don't think there are any before 2003. Aren't 10 years worth of past papers enough for you?

Original post by emma.b
And yeah Bude, what does make a good girl?
Guys, do you reckon race or skin colour or religion would come into it, or would that just be 'preferable'?

Haha, this varies from guy to guy but what I think is:

Patient
Humble
Kind hearted
Hard working
(Awesome accent :tongue:)

Nope, tbh race or skin colour or religion doesn't really bother me, if I like them then I like them!

Btw, my Maths notes are amazing, if you'd like me to type them up then let me know (I can revise them on the way :tongue:)

"SHE WANTS THE D?! YOU NEED GIRL WHO WANTS A!"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3016
I'm scared of maths - therefore it is my weakest and least practiced subject! I feel like a ****** (excuse the language) compared to all of you!

My mum has realised a pass at higher tier is a struggle for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.b
I think that's right...

It can't just be me, but your handwriting somehow reflects your accent! :teehee:

And yeah, that's right :smile:

So basically my list :pierre:
Reply 3018
Original post by Bude8

Haha, this varies from guy to guy but what I think is:

Patient
Humble
Kind hearted
Hard working
(Awesome accent :tongue:)

Nope, tbh race or skin colour or religion doesn't really bother me, if I like them then I like them!

Btw, my Maths notes are amazing, if you'd like me to type them up then let me know (I can revise them on the way :tongue:)

"SHE WANTS THE D?! YOU NEED GIRL WHO WANTS A!"

See that's all well and good, but my accent is terrible!:wink:
That's the same with me! I guess it doesn't matter!:smile:
Thanks for the offer...I'm going to need some form of help in the next two months and that would be helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3019
Wooooooooooooooow! Yes, result!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest