The Student Room Group

Does Msc Economic Hisotry at LSE have good job prospects?

Hey Guys!!

I have an offer for the above mentioned programme however I am not sure about the job prospects of the degree.I also have an offer from exeter for msc Financial Economics.
I am an international student and got a first class Economics degree from Kingston in 2012,my quantitative skills are very good,I got very high grades in Econometrics,finance and maths modules at University.I am really confused if the Msc Economic History degree would be worth the time,effort and more importantly my father's money.
Kindly help.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Why do economic history as a masters? Why not do a masters in economics instead at LSE.
Reply 2
Original post by montyr
Why do economic history as a masters? Why not do a masters in economics instead at LSE.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply montyr,

Well, this was the dilemma I was facing while applying however after much thought , I chose Eco History as the course is more interesting than the Msc Economics.In addition if I am being brutally honest I did take into account the amount of competition for an Msc in Economics place at LSE.
I would have stood a very small chance despite a very good First class Economics degree from Kingston(because of Kingston's ranking for Eco).
So coming back to my question what would you reckon are the job prospects? LSE website says 91% of the postgrad leavers are in work,taking time out or completing further study just six months after the graduation.
Lse's brand name is very powerful around the globe but considering the current economic conditions in Britain would I stand a realistic chance of securing a job,and hence a work visa after a Masters in Eco History?
Reply 3
I would say it depends what job you want to do. If you want something quantitative I would chose straight economics, but I'd have aimed to do it at somewhere like LSE, UCL, Warwick etc. If I could afford it...

From personal experience, don't ever apply for a course/job because you think it's less competitive, that is pretty much how I ended up in accountancy and I now hate it and want to leave...

Also if you genuinely think economic history is more interesting than economics then why bother considering doing economics at a lesser uni? Sure you have a cracking chance of securing a good job through any degree at LSE, just avoid the big 4 :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending