The Student Room Group
Reply 1

As far as I am aware, shells are split into sub-shells, these being 5s and 5p sub shells. As the 5p subshell has a slightly higher energy level it is the most outward SUB-shell.

My logic, I am not too sure what OCR are looking for, but it seems logical that they want the sub-shell that is furthest away from the nucleus.

Hope that helps...
Reply 2
Original post by Booyah
As far as I am aware, shells are split into sub-shells, these being 5s and 5p sub shells. As the 5p subshell has a slightly higher energy level it is the most outward SUB-shell.

My logic, I am not too sure what OCR are looking for, but it seems logical that they want the sub-shell that is furthest away from the nucleus.

Hope that helps...

But surely they mean by outer sub shell structure the sub shell structure in shell 5 since the 5th shell is the most outward shell.
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP
But surely they mean by outer sub shell structure the sub shell structure in shell 5 since the 5th shell is the most outward shell.

The subshells are filled as follows:

1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d 4p 5s 4d 5p

(Correct me if I am wrong)

The subshell to have electrons removed first wouldd be the one with the highest energy being the 5p orbital. Take the ionisation of Bromine. If you ionised it it would have its electron removed from the 3p subshell, not the 3s subshell.
Reply 4
Original post by Booyah
The subshells are filled as follows:

1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d 4p 5s 4d 5p

(Correct me if I am wrong)

The subshell to have electrons removed first wouldd be the one with the highest energy being the 5p orbital. Take the ionisation of Bromine. If you ionised it it would have its electron removed from the 3p subshell, not the 3s subshell.

So say if I said 5s2, 5p6, would this be wrong? Would I get the 2 marks or not??

Reply 5
Original post by krisshP
So say if I said 5s2, 5p6, would this be wrong? Would I get the 2 marks or not??

Looking at the markscheme it says to ignore inner sub shells so I suppose you would get both marks

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest