The Student Room Group

Gap year or university?

In a nutshell, I'm having a bit of a mental debate with myself other whether I should take a gap year and travel, or go to university? I've had offers and I also have savings so I have the means for both options. But I kind of feel that if I go to university, as soon as I come out and get a job ill have to start paying off debts, so I won't have the finance to travel, so now seems like the best option. Then again I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to go to uni. Agh, what to do, anyone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Personally I took a gap year and went to France, Spain and Turkey with two other friends. It was a great experience and to be honest i felt more mature starting my first year. Personally I also did some research into the subjects I would be doing in the next year so I found the course to be fine but you might feel alienated being out of education for a whole year.
I would recommend it. You've been in school continuously for the past 13 years :tongue: Take a year off and travel, get a job, read books you won't ever have time to read etc.

I wish I took a gap year before university.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice guys, ill see how I feel in August when I get my results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calb94
In a nutshell, I'm having a bit of a mental debate with myself other whether I should take a gap year and travel, or go to university? I've had offers and I also have savings so I have the means for both options. But I kind of feel that if I go to university, as soon as I come out and get a job ill have to start paying off debts, so I won't have the finance to travel, so now seems like the best option. Then again I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to go to uni. Agh, what to do, anyone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had a similar issue and ended up rejecting all my offers on Wednesday! I'd say work out what you would do on a gap year, and whether you could realistically do it - that was the decider for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest