The Student Room Group

GCSE exams in May/June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
How are you guys revising?

Are you remembering the key points then doing a lot of past papers.

Any other useful tips

Many thanks
Reply 301
Original post by Flo_97
How are you guys revising?

Are you remembering the key points then doing a lot of past papers.

Any other useful tips

Many thanks

For Maths I've looked at every past paper there's been for the last few years and printed off each question that I didn't understand or know how to answer (tended to be the last few pages in each past paper) and then just taught myself how to answer it.

For the other subjects I've just learned key points and vocab by repeatedly writing things out, making flash cards, saying it to myself, look write cover check etc.
(The whole "revising by making posters in bright colours" just does not work for me)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 302
Original post by seannn
For Maths I've looked at every past paper there's been for the last few years and printed off each question that I didn't understand or know how to answer (tended to be the last few pages in each past paper) and then just taught myself how to answer it.

For the other subjects I've just learned key points and vocab by repeatedly writing things out, making flash cards, saying it to myself, look write cover check etc.
(The whole "revising by making posters in bright colours" just does not work for me)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but are you doing Business Studies unit 2.

If you are how are you going to revising for that?
Reply 303
Anyone know how to revise Business studies Unit 2
Original post by ThatPerson
I am.

How you finding it?
Have you got any resources to help with this qualification?
I got 20 Exams.... :/
I'm reading CGP for Sciences, and when Study Leave starts (3rd May) I will do a past paper in each every day.
For Maths, its purely past papers but I don't do them regularly because Core 1 is easy-ish
For English, I guess I'll just take the A (advice anyone?)
Everything else is learning books....
I found a site which has all of the past paper for Edexcel GCSE Maths Linear including the March 2013 with mark schemes and with higher and foundation papers:

http://www.edexcelmathspapers.tk/
Reply 307
I have lots of exams
-3 English exams
-2 Maths exams (depending on my results which I get in a week)
-6 Science exams
-2 French exams (listening&reading)
-2 History exams (USA & Britain)
-2 Textiles exams
-1 ICT exam
-1 RE exam
-1 Islamic studies exam
-1 FSMQ Maths exam

21 exams :frown:
Reply 308
Original post by Ecialetak
Heya well I'm doing lots of past papers and seeing how they work so in the exam you can actually answer the longer questions well and get full marks.
You know that there are now 6 mark questions in science yepieeeeeee ahaha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you OCR gateway b?

I am using the CGP additional science book

Is there any tips on how to revise from it to get an A*

This is the book I am using

Many thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 309
Religious Studies
Chemistry Unit 2
Physics Unit 2
English x2
Physics unit 1 (retake)
Maths x2
Biology unit 1 (retake)

OMG!!! this is killing me!!!!
Reply 310
Any tips on how to revise for religious studies??? 4 units to learn!! Revising atm but think i need a better method on learning the stuff...... PLEASE HELP!!
Reply 311
Around 16 exams. I really cba to make an estimate, it'll be around that.
Reply 312
Original post by ahmed1997
Any tips on how to revise for religious studies??? 4 units to learn!! Revising atm but think i need a better method on learning the stuff...... PLEASE HELP!!

Just write out the stories as many times as it takes before they stick (this was a lot for me..maybe 7/8times) Read the text book in bed etc.. repetition is the key IMO

Then pastpapers

In the actual exam write down ANYTHING that you think might get you the mark as you don't get marked down for contradiction/ saying something wrong..

I did this and I got an A* In the real GCSE after getting an E in my mock about 4 months before. :smile:
Reply 313
Original post by madfish
Just write out the stories as many times as it takes before they stick (this was a lot for me..maybe 7/8times) Read the text book in bed etc.. repetition is the key IMO

Then pastpapers

In the actual exam write down ANYTHING that you think might get you the mark as you don't get marked down for contradiction/ saying something wrong..

I did this and I got an A* In the real GCSE after getting an E in my mock about 4 months before. :smile:

Hi thanks for the tip but dont have a text book i only have 4 booklets for each unit, which totals to 4 units. They contain past paper question for each topic which i do but i feel like the information is not sticking to my head:mad:
Reply 314
Hi thanks for the tip but dont have a text book i only have 4 booklets for each unit, which totals to 4 units. They contain past paper question for each topic which i do but i feel like the information is not sticking to my head:mad:

I always find that, the information takes ages to stick but after a few times it will "click"

It just requires repetition, it will click

I am revising for my Alevels at the minute and I don't remember much but I know it will "click" before my exams so I am not worried!
Hello...

I have: Biology 3, Chemistry 3, Physics 3, English Literature, Religious studies, History paper 2 (source skills).

The best way for me to revise is to learn and make notes. Make sure you do re-revise everything because you don't want to forget.

Good luck everyone!! :smile:
12 exams, 2 of which are science retakes :frown: Although the amount of exams I have is tiny in comparison to others!

Biology Unit 3

Spanish listening

Spanish reading

English Literature (modern texts)

Chemistry Unit 3

Physics Unit 3

English Literature (poetry)

History (International relations)

Biology Unit 1 (retake)

History (The USA)

Chemistry Unit 1 (retake)

Maths Unit 3

Reply 317
Original post by madfish
I always find that, the information takes ages to stick but after a few times it will "click"

It just requires repetition, it will click

I am revising for my Alevels at the minute and I don't remember much but I know it will "click" before my exams so I am not worried!

Thanx anyways :biggrin: what did u get in your GCSE science?
Reply 318
Original post by laylarose
12 exams, 2 of which are science retakes :frown: Although the amount of exams I have is tiny in comparison to others!

Biology Unit 3

Spanish listening

Spanish reading

English Literature (modern texts)

Chemistry Unit 3

Physics Unit 3

English Literature (poetry)

History (International relations)

Biology Unit 1 (retake)

History (The USA)

Chemistry Unit 1 (retake)

Maths Unit 3

Hi iam also resitting biology unit 1 pretty sad about it becoz i thought and ended up with 47 UMS!! :eek: Iam also resitting Physics unit 1 which ima not suprised about coz i hate Physics but i got a better UMS score than biology which was 52 but passed Chemistry Unit 1 with 60 UMS
Reply 319
Thanx anyways :biggrin: what did u get in your GCSE science?

I did Double Award and got A*A*

I now do 3 sciences at Alevel if you need any help though:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest