The Student Room Group

Minutes silence for Thatcher

Scroll to see replies

Ah.
Original post by King Hotpie
A minutes silence at Anfield? Good luck is all I'll say.

No. It is at the Madjeski.

Hence why John Madjeski (the Reading chairman) is mentioned in the opening post.
Original post by Wilfred Little
No. It is at the Madjeski.

Hence why John Madjeski (the Reading chairman) is mentioned in the opening post.

To combine the silence of Hilslborough with Thatcher would quite frankly be a disgrace and a dishonor to the 96 who were killed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
To combine the silence of Hilslborough with Thatcher would quite frankly be a disgrace and a dishonor to the 96 who were killed.

A "disgrace" :biggrin:

It doesn't matter, the scousers will disrupt the silence thanks to their hate for Thatcher and the relatives of the Hillsbrough victims will understand why.

It's not a disgrace or dishonour at all, this silence is for Thatcher despite what Madjeski says, it has nothing to do with the 96 dead, that is just a smokescreen to confuse the Liverpool fans so they observe the silence.

There shouldn't be a silence for Hillsbrough by other clubs anyway, and Liverpool had theirs last week.
Original post by Wilfred Little
A "disgrace" :biggrin:

It doesn't matter, the scousers will disrupt the silence thanks to their hate for Thatcher and the relatives of the Hillsbrough victims will understand why.

It's not a disgrace or dishonour at all, this silence is for Thatcher despite what Madjeski says, it has nothing to do with the 96 dead, that is just a smokescreen to confuse the Liverpool fans so they observe the silence.

There shouldn't be a silence for Hillsbrough by other clubs anyway, and Liverpool had theirs last week.

Thatcher blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough, so it would be a dishonor.
Funny how it's a millionaire pushing for it eh.
A minutes silence, so close to the anniversary of Hillsborough, which she helped cover up and changed football for ever more?

Anyone who doesn't boo during it is a bit disrespectful to be honest.

Tying this to football is just being done deliberately to try and garner up more martyr worship for her so the tories can scrounge some much needed sympathy votes. If one person Boos it will be seen as a disgrace, what has the world come to etc etc. If everyone boos they wont get away with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thatcher blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough, so it would be a dishonor.
Funny how it's a millionaire pushing for it eh.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why this is inappropriate but let's not overreact, eh?

And to be fair mate they were partly to blame. This was the 80's, when jibbing, turning up pissed and generally just being a nuisance was rife. They weren't solely to blame, and probably weren't any more boisterous than most clubs would have been in their position (FA Cup semi, limited ticket supply) but yes jibbing the game and arriving without tickets did not help.

A number of factors all contributed together that day that resulted in 96 people dying (police negligence, stadium structure etc) and one of them was people without tickets turning up to the game and getting in without tickets.

Like I say it wasn't exclusive to Liverpool as a club but it winds me up when people act like they had absolutely nothing to do with it. You still jibbing happening now.
Reply 27
Why should people be forced to respect her? Many people detest her. Those who want a minutes silence can hold their own. We can not enforce politics in sport.

No-one is being forced to, they're being expected to out of straightforward decency. Again, as my previous post pointed out, this is not a political issue at all, it's a civic one.
Original post by L i b
No-one is being forced to, they're being expected to out of straightforward decency. Again, as my previous post pointed out, this is not a political issue at all, it's a civic one.

they shouldn't be expeted to respect someone who'm they may have despised.
Original post by L i b

Utter poppycock, you shouldn't be expected to respect someone who does not deserve respect, it's not a case of straightforward decency, it's a case of people going on with the pathetic notion of venerating the dead no matter what they got up to in life.

Even if you ignore the divisive issue of her policies, by authorising the hillsborough cover-up she put 96 families through utter hell and in essence told them that their loved ones were criminals. No one who would do such a thing to protect the police deserves any respect.
Original post by danny111
Not really.

A minute of silence is often done to remember a person that was important to the club holding. And given that Thatcher was a great (note great not good, i.e. says nothing about your politica views of her) British leader of recent times I actually think it's appropriate for Premier League games to have one for her.

Why? She hated football fans and football in general. Why should football be respectful to her, when she had no respect for us?
Original post by ed-
She was far too divisive too unite 40,000 football fans in complete silence...

Agreed. You just know someones going to burst into a beautiful drunk rendition of this:

Reply 32
Original post by The Mad Dog
Agreed. You just know someones going to burst into a beautiful drunk rendition of this:

And what a **** they'll look.
Reply 33
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Utter poppycock, you shouldn't be expected to respect someone who does not deserve respect, it's not a case of straightforward decency, it's a case of people going on with the pathetic notion of venerating the dead no matter what they got up to in life.

Fine. I'm calling for the veneration of someone who gave a decade of their life - more in fact - in service to this country and who worked incredibly hard to improve it.

Even if you ignore the divisive issue of her policies, by authorising the hillsborough cover-up she put 96 families through utter hell and in essence told them that their loved ones were criminals. No one who would do such a thing to protect the police deserves any respect.

Yes, I'm sure that was Margaret Thatcher's doing...:rolleyes:
Reply 34
they shouldn't be expeted to respect someone who'm they may have despised.

Why on earth would anyone be stupid enough to "despise" someone simply because they disagreed with their politics? I appreciate there's a lot of weirdos, nutcases and ********s out there, but I don't see why they should be defended on here.
That minutes "silence" will be deafening.
Original post by L i b
Fine. I'm calling for the veneration of someone who gave a decade of their life - more in fact - in service to this country and who worked incredibly hard to improve it.

Shall hold a minute silence for civil servants who gave decades of their life to improve this country. She was doing her job.
Reply 37
Football as a whole needs to **** the minutes silence and/or applause off for any reason not directly related to the club or something that effects football as a whole.
Original post by L i b

The reports went as high as here - the police may have selected the cover-up, but she permitted it to happen and made sure the truth was hidden away.
Reply 39
Original post by The Mad Dog
Shall hold a minute silence for civil servants who gave decades of their life to improve this country. She was doing her job.

For people so keen to blame Margaret Thatcher for any shortcomings under her government, it seems odd that you apparently cannot recognise the heirarchical relationship of our civic structures and the responsibility that brings. She was quite different to a civil servant.

Quick Reply