The Student Room Group

Can you get fired for not doing overtime?

I feel like I need to get this off my chest so sorry in advance if I sound like im ranting..

I work weekends (sat and sun) and Im also a student at uni, mon-fri but I get every second friday off. So basically Im pretty busy all the time! My dad was also recently in an accident so cant drive so I'm his "taxi driver" so to speak and help him out. Basically my problem is that whenever I go into work at the weekends, Im always asked "can you do any overtime?" by my bosses and every weekend my answer is the same, no. I work backshifts, 4-8, so if I were to do overtime after uni id be going straight from it (on days that I actually finish before 4..) and then coming home to go straight to bed, as id be up early the next day, meaning I wouldnt have any time to get any work done. I keep telling them no and they give me an attitude about it in response.. they always say things like "do you not get any days off at that college youre at?" and Im like no, my timetable is really busy. Its getting to that point where its becoming really annoying because I partly feel guilty for saying no (im a massive people pleaser) and because I know theyre going to ask and its really annoying having to say why I cant every single weekend. Its like, my situation isnt going to change, Im not going to be off uni until the summer, so why keep asking every single weekend? And apart from asking that they dont ever say anything else to me anyway. If I did do overtime theyd chat away to me and actually acknowledge my existence, whereas if you dont do it youre ignored or made to feel like youre the worse employee ever.

Ive been at this job for almost 2 years now, and the pay is amazing for the few hours I do and the staff I work with are great and make me feel better, but its coming to the point where its so repetitive (which i know I cant complain about because the majority of low-skilled jobs arent going to involve anything different) and I feel undervalued, I know this is just a job to get by and have money for uni, but whenever Ive had those meetings where they ask if youd want any new training or where you see yourself in a year, the only new training they offer me is to be doing almost the same thing as i am now but just extra things which dont appeal to me (I clean, a step 'up' would be dishing up food) and I feel like they arent prepared to acknowledge my skills and abilities and take me on to do anything else. I know there arent a lot of opportunities these days with the economy and the job situation so I am grateful for having a job, but sometimes I wonder if being unhappy is really worth it? Ill be at uni for another 3 years after this year, so if I stay at my job thatll be almost 5 years ill have been there, doing the exact same thing and being asked every weekend the exact same thing. I suppose ive deviated from my original question but Im just wondering if how pissed off they act about me saying no means that me not doing any overtime is bad and could maybe lead to them just firing me and finding someone else whos not a student who can do extra hours? I know the obvious answer might be no but just the vibe I get off them makes me nervous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, your contract states how many hours you are required to do. As long as you are fulfilling this obligation you should be fine
Original post by heirloom
No, your contract states how many hours you are required to do. As long as you are fulfilling this obligation you should be fine

Thats fine then :smile: any advice on how to get my bosses to back off? or is this just something I have to deal with and try to not let it bother me so much?
Reply 3
Original post by Chocolatesoup
Thats fine then :smile: any advice on how to get my bosses to back off? or is this just something I have to deal with and try to not let it bother me so much?

I think you just have to deal with it. Although, have you told them about your situation? Maybe it would stop them asking as much. Anyway just try not to let it bother you, there is nothing they can do if you don't want to do overtime
I think you just have to deal with it. Although, have you told them about your situation? Maybe it would stop them asking as much. Anyway just try not to let it bother you, there is nothing they can do if you don't want to do overtime

I havent, but I do say that I dont get any days off uni (I know I do get a friday off every 2 weeks but if I tell them this they would have me working it, despite that meaning I wouldnt have a day off ever) plus I feel like if I did tell them about my dads accident it wouldnt even matter to them, they wouldnt put it into consideration and would still ask :/ or theyd think i was making it up. My mum is mentally unwell and this sometimes causes problems and once I had put down for overtime and then had to cancel it and the boss I told said it was fine and that they didnt need to know why, but another boss sitting nearby shouting out "why cant you do it?" and I said my mum isnt very well. she didnt say anything (i wasnt expecting any concern of sympathy) but it just feels like theyre really nosy and if something really bad happened in your life they wouldnt care but would make you feel guilty for not being able to do things for them.
Reply 5
x

They may try to make you feel guilty but there is no need for you to feel it. Think about it this way, you would feel more guilty if you were too busy to help your dad out. Just remember you cant be fired for it. Plus you are off to uni so it is unlikely that you will stay in this job forever. I know you say that you want to progress in the job, but is there any point if you don't see yourself staying in this sector long term?
They may try to make you feel guilty but there is no need for you to feel it. Think about it this way, you would feel more guilty if you were too busy to help your dad out. Just remember you cant be fired for it. Plus you are off to uni so it is unlikely that you will stay in this job forever. I know you say that you want to progress in the job, but is there any point if you don't see yourself staying in this sector long term?

I think I feel guilty because when they ask and I say no their response isnt "okay its fine", theyll sigh or shake their head or give each other looks to say "tut tut" and Im like jesus! its not the end of the world. Its weird as well because I think they always ask me because they know when I do come in I get the job done, whereas a lot of people are lazy and skive or dont bother. So really youd think theyd be a lot nicer to me to encourage me to want to come in if theyre relying on me (and a lot of other people who work hard too) picking up the slack the lazy people have left behind.

Its not that I want to progress, more that if while Im at uni there were any prospects of me doing something else in the meantime thats maybe related to my degree or just involves a higher level of skill it would be better as Id feel less like I was doing a job where my real potential isnt being expressed. Ive tried looking for other jobs or traineeships related to my degree but there isnt anything or its all full time :/ I save up a lot of wages for the future so i feel like if I quit id be happier cos Id be able to do a lot more uni work at the weekends, but then id also have no income coming in which seems like a waste when I could stay and have money for the future. Are you a student who works also?
Reply 7
If you have been there for less than two years, you can be fired for whatever reason they choose, save certain protected reasons not limited to equality, whistleblowing, working time directive.

It is trivial for them to say 'Sorry, it's not working out, we are going to have to let you go' and then make up a reason for that, even if the real reason is you won't do overtime for them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I know this feeling - the trouble is employees in general only care about the business they manage. Your manager could be the loveliest person, but as long as you work for them then work comes before anything else. I know people from when I used to work that were doing 40+ hour weeks at work alongside their degrees because the management just didn't care/understand. Might have been because the managers there had no qualifications so had never been in the situation!

Anyway, I would be firm with them and stick your ground as much as possible. You don't need to go into detail about when you get days off - you are probably right in saying they would make you work on them! Do the hours you are supposed to do and they cannot fire you. It is frustrating when they keep asking, but you just need to be firm (not rude!) and say there is no way you would be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HmMusic
I know this feeling - the trouble is employees in general only care about the business they manage. Your manager could be the loveliest person, but as long as you work for them then work comes before anything else. I know people from when I used to work that were doing 40+ hour weeks at work alongside their degrees because the management just didn't care/understand. Might have been because the managers there had no qualifications so had never been in the situation!

Anyway, I would be firm with them and stick your ground as much as possible. You don't need to go into detail about when you get days off - you are probably right in saying they would make you work on them! Do the hours you are supposed to do and they cannot fire you. It is frustrating when they keep asking, but you just need to be firm (not rude!) and say there is no way you would be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well its weird because I spoke to a woman once when I did do overtime who is also at uni but in Glasgow (thats about 30 miles away from our work) and she said that they understand that she's busy at uni so they work that around her shifts and get that she cant do overtime. So I dont get how they can be understanding towards her, but somehow expect me to come in when Im in the same position as her? I think it might partly be due to my age and that in the past Ive always been willing to do as many shifts as possible. They also know that Im at uni but for some reason they still ask about college, which I was at last year and was only in 3 days a week so worked my days off because that was manageable, so Im unsure as to what they are aware of, like maybe ive not made it clear that I am at uni now, as even when holidays come up for the schools or colleges which are different to my unis holidays, they always ask if I can work and when I say no they say "but arent you off?" and im not but they seem to think I am.. like when I told them I wasnt off they all laughed and said that I was going to turn up and be the only person there.. when I definitely wasnt off.

A lot of people who are at college do overtime during the week or their shifts are mon-fri and they have the weekends off, so maybe they expect me to be able to work during the week as well because other people do, but being honest I personally couldnt manage it, Id get stressed way too easily and my workload compared to people at college (no offense to them of course) is a lot heavier so its obvious why theyre able to balance it all. I dont want to sound like Im bragging or up myself or anything, but a lot of the young people at my work are either just working there full time or part time and doing overtime everyday, or are at college doing access courses, Im one of the only people in my age group at my work whos at uni and is trying to get somewhere, and sometimes it feels like my work would be really happy if i quit uni and worked there full time, in basically a dead end job. I wouldnt have any prospects of promotion either, as last year there was a position as a temp team leader and I knew even if Id applied I wouldnt have gotten it. its also quite hard when a lot of people hear youre at uni and they judge you for it.. its basically like being at high school again where im the 'nerd geek loser' and id be considered 'cool' if i was working all the time and not going anywhere in life. even when people ask me what im doing and i say im at uni i dont say it in a bragging way or anything, half the time they make me feel like i should be ashamed of it.
Reply 10
Does your contract state you have to do overtime? as I have seen jobs ad's stating overtime will be required

If it's not in your contract then unless it's somehow classed as gross misconduct which I can't see then it'll hard to get rid of you due to not doing it.
Original post by Smartcook
Does your contract state you have to do overtime? as I have seen jobs ad's stating overtime will be required

If it's not in your contract then unless it's somehow classed as gross misconduct which I can't see then it'll hard to get rid of you due to not doing it.

my contract just states: "you may be required to work overtime" and "Weekend working: you may be required to work either saturday or sunday or nights" which I already do anyway :/
No, you cannot. Those are extra hours, not part of your contract (however, sometimes they are part of the contract - e.g. "You may have to work extra hours on special holidays" etc). However, it may bode well to do extra hours (if you can and want to) just to get favourable reports from your employer/manager.
I havent, but I do say that I dont get any days off uni (I know I do get a friday off every 2 weeks but if I tell them this they would have me working it, despite that meaning I wouldnt have a day off ever) plus I feel like if I did tell them about my dads accident it wouldnt even matter to them, they wouldnt put it into consideration and would still ask :/ or theyd think i was making it up. My mum is mentally unwell and this sometimes causes problems and once I had put down for overtime and then had to cancel it and the boss I told said it was fine and that they didnt need to know why, but another boss sitting nearby shouting out "why cant you do it?" and I said my mum isnt very well. she didnt say anything (i wasnt expecting any concern of sympathy) but it just feels like theyre really nosy and if something really bad happened in your life they wouldnt care but would make you feel guilty for not being able to do things for them.

How could you know that? If you took a manager to the side and explained properly that you cannot do any overtime because you need to help your disabled parents in the small amount of time you get to yourself I find it hard to believe they'd ignore it.

Although you may, justifiably, think the details are none of their business, I'd wager vague references to an accident and your mum being ill just make them think you're making up excuses.

Though if all they do is sigh when you say no, it doesn't really seem worth making a big deal out of to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HumanSupremacist
No, you cannot. Those are extra hours, not part of your contract (however, sometimes they are part of the contract - e.g. "You may have to work extra hours on special holidays" etc). However, it may bode well to do extra hours (if you can and want to) just to get favourable reports from your employer/manager.

Yeah, I used to do overtime when I was at college because I was only in 3 days a week. I also work when its the holidays and some weekends they needed someone to stay on until midnight and I always volunteered to do that. So I think they maybe just assume Im always willing and arent used to me saying no
Yeah, I used to do overtime when I was at college because I was only in 3 days a week. I also work when its the holidays and some weekends they needed someone to stay on until midnight and I always volunteered to do that. So I think they maybe just assume Im always willing and arent used to me saying no

Good for you. :top:

But they do pay you for that, right?
Reply 16
I think it may help if you were to have a meeting with your supervisor. They are there to listen to whatever problems you may have...be it work related or personal issues. Discuss with them the way you are feeling and dont be afraid to advise them about your busy life outwith work. I know you feel under pressure because they keep asking you to work extra hours, but perhaps you should take that as a compliment, rather than becoming upset with this. You are under no obligation to work extra hours, and your bosses are well aware of this so don't worry so much.
Arrange a meeting (do you not get regular supervision sessions?) and let your line manager know about your feelings...he/she should then hopefully make sure that the other bosses stop giving you a hard time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum9999
How could you know that? If you took a manager to the side and explained properly that you cannot do any overtime because you need to help your disabled parents in the small amount of time you get to yourself I find it hard to believe they'd ignore it.

Although you may, justifiably, think the details are none of their business, I'd wager vague references to an accident and your mum being ill just make them think you're making up excuses.

Though if all they do is sigh when you say no, it doesn't really seem worth making a big deal out of to me.

I dont have just one boss, I hope it doesnt sound confusing but its like there are about 8-10 team leaders, and each shift therell be either 2 or 3 of them on, so each weekend itll be different ones, so if I were to tell them, I couldnt just tell one, Id have to tell them all, and theyd most likely forget anyway! And being honest I wouldnt feel comfortable telling them anything personal, especially about my mums mental illness, because they are very gossipy and bitchy, and this is the truth. The room we sign in in is very small and they will sit and talk about members of staff despite the fact that anyone of us coming in to sign in and get our stuff can hear them. Theyll also give people dirty looks behind their back etc. I try not to pay attention to any of this and dont care if theyre talking about me, because theyre just my bosses, their opinion is of no concern to me, but if I told them my mum is unwell i really do not think it would be something which would be dealt with professionally, and this isnt an exaggeration or anything. I remember one time I came into work they all openly started talking about my weight in front of other members of staff also, saying I was too skinny and offering me food saying I needed to beef up.. one member of staff stood there in shock but it didnt bother me. Also if I did tell them Id feel like theyd constantly ask about my situation when id much rather keep my private life private yknow? like once my mum phoned up the ward I work in and spoke to one of the nurses and it was really embarrassing and the nurse asked about my mum so I basically had to tell her my situation. After that she'd always ask but it didnt seem like she was concerned or worried about me, more like "I want the gossip" :/
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Good for you. :top:

But they do pay you for that, right?

yeah haha! thats the main reason I stayed on because you get nightshift pay! by volunteered I meant I was offering to do it because no one wouldve given up their saturday night to stay in at work in the darkness alone :tongue:
Original post by jimb76
I think it may help if you were to have a meeting with your supervisor. They are there to listen to whatever problems you may have...be it work related or personal issues. Discuss with them the way you are feeling and dont be afraid to advise them about your busy life outwith work. I know you feel under pressure because they keep asking you to work extra hours, but perhaps you should take that as a compliment, rather than becoming upset with this. You are under no obligation to work extra hours, and your bosses are well aware of this so don't worry so much.
Arrange a meeting (do you not get regular supervision sessions?) and let your line manager know about your feelings...he/she should then hopefully make sure that the other bosses stop giving you a hard time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well see as Ive said in a reply to someone else, we dont just have 1 team leader, there are several but one will be for you specifically, but because that one person wont be on your shift everytime, I think each person has about 3 people who are their boss, so that theres always going to be one of the three in when you are working, if that makes sense! and because they dont really communicate with each other (like say a person told one of their team leaders that they were needing to leave early the next day and they said it was fine, they wouldnt tell the person who was one the next day that they were doing this so theyd go mental at the person even though it was okayd by someone else) this makes things difficult. There are higher up people who I could speak to about it, but I think it would seem a bit cry-baby to be like they keep asking me to do overtime and its annoying me :/ yknow? like its not that bad a problem and there isnt much they could do about it other than tell them not to ask me, then theyd know id said something :tongue: plus its never been made clear how you would even get in touch with these people anyway, they mostly dont work weekends so I rarely see them, so id probably have to ask a team leader to give me their contact details or that Id like to meet with someone and they wouldnt be like 'okay cool no problem' theyd be all 'why do you want to meet with them like? what the problem? tell us everything' :tongue:

Quick Reply