The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Victoriapownall
It was basically explaining the pros and cons of wind turbines and biofuel and then deciding which one would be better to use on a farm to generate electricity factoring in the cost of each one !

THANK YOU! Do you remember other topics in the test that came up and some questions maybe?
Original post by LolaMac
THANK YOU! Do you remember other topics in the test that came up and some questions maybe?

Ok well for question 1 you add to add up the total energy that was transferred from a house to the sorroundings which was 5kw and then you had to convert it into kJ which was 5kj then for the second question you had to explain how cavity wall insulation reduces energy transfer by convention and the answer was it contains small pockets of air which prevents convention currents from being set up. Then there was a a question on calculating the useful energy using the total energy and the efficiency then you were given a graph that showed the temperature of a house during the day and you were asked whether the rate of energy transfer from the house to the sorroundings increased or decreased and the answer was increased as the temperature decreased during the day. Then there was a graph showing the angles of incidence and the angle of refraction and you had to explain the relationship between the two and I said that the angle of refraction increased as the angle of incidence increased and I said that the angle of refraction was always greater than the angle of incidence. Then there was a question where you had to calculate the frequency and you were given the wavelength and the speed of a wave but the speed was written as 3*10 to the power of 8 so you had to first change it to 300000000 m/s and then work it out. Then there was a 4 mark question explaining why the temperature of a liquid decreases as it evaporates and the answer was when a liquid evaporates the particles gain energy so they move around more the high energy particles escape from the surface of the liquid leaving the low energy particles remaining in the liquid,the lower the energy of the particles the lower the temperature of the liquid and so it cools as it evaporates. There was a question on the order of electromagnetic waves where you had to say which one had the highest frequency which is gamma and then explain the differences between infrared and visible(one has higher wavelength/lower frequency ect) there were a few brief questions on the red shift like how it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory (evidence that the universe is explaining outwards from an initial point) there was also a question where you were given information about this device that uses the sun to generate light and you had to say what the advantage of it was compared to using a normal light bulb and then say what the ethical implications of it would be. If you need any help revising then ill happily help you because I only did this test in January and got an a*
The only topics that didn't come up were sound waves the Doppler effect diffraction reflection of light I think
Remember the grade boundaries are always lower in June so you could get 20 marks wrong and still get a high a/a*
Reply 144
Original post by victoriapownall
remember the grade boundaries are always lower in june so you could get 20 marks wrong and still get a high a/a*

thankkkkk you ssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhh !!!!!!!!
I meant to go on here earlier but these are the topics that didn't come up
Doppler effect
diffraction
wave energy geothermal energy electrical appliances cost effectiveness of appliances fuel for electricity power from the sun eg solar cells the national grid nature of waves eg mechanical/electromagnetic reflection sounds and echoes communications eg optical fibres issues with microwaves from mobile phones light infared and radio waves
If you message me your email I can send you loads of aqa progress checks with the mark schemes to help with revision
Reply 146
I meant to go on here earlier but these are the topics that didn't come up
Doppler effect
diffraction
wave energy geothermal energy electrical appliances cost effectiveness of appliances fuel for electricity power from the sun eg solar cells the national grid nature of waves eg mechanical/electromagnetic reflection sounds and echoes communications eg optical fibres issues with microwaves from mobile phones light infared and radio waves
If you message me your email I can send you loads of aqa progress checks with the mark schemes to help with revision

What did you say for this?
A homeowner has part of the outside wall of her house removed and replaced with
double-glazed glass doors.
U-value of the wall = 0.3
U-value of glass doors = 1.8
Explain the effect of replacing part of the outside wall with glass doors on the rate of
energy transfer from the house.
Original post by LolaMac
Explain the effect of replacing part of the outside wall with glass doors on the rate of

I would say that replacing the wall with the doors would reduce the rate of energy transfer from the house as the glass doors have a lower u value than the walls meaning that they are a better insulator therefore less heat will be lost through them :smile:
Just state that its a better insulator for one mark then say that it reduces the rate of energy transfer for the other mark
Original post by LolaMac

Inbox me you email and I can email you loads of progress checks and past questions with answers :smile:
Wats you fb?
Reply 151
I would say that replacing the wall with the doors would reduce the rate of energy transfer from the house as the glass doors have a lower u value than the walls meaning that they are a better insulator therefore less heat will be lost through them :smile:

Wouldn't it increase the rate of energy transfer because it has a higher U-Value (door) than the wall. The lower the better?
Yeh it's weird but the lower the u-value the better the material is as an insulator don't get it the other way round !
Reply 153
Yeh it's weird but the lower the u-value the better the material is as an insulator don't get it the other way round !

The increasing use of energy resources to generate electricity within developed
countries has ethical implications.
Suggest one ethical implication.

Help* :smile:
This was the one question I missed out on the exam but ethical implications are to do with people so you could probably say something to do with people being paid hardly Amy money in order to generate electricity ...forced labour maybe erm taking advantage of poorer people using them something along those lines
People shouldn't be able to use other(poorer people's land) in order to generate electicitry maybe? Along as you mention people and how much they get paid something like people may be paid little money in order to generate energy maybe?
This was the one question I missed out on the exam but ethical implications are to do with people so you could probably say something to do with people being paid hardly Amy money in order to generate electricity ...forced labour maybe erm taking advantage of poorer people using them something along those lines
People shouldn't be able to use other(poorer people's land) in order to generate electicitry maybe? Along as you mention people and how much they get paid something like people may be paid little money in order for companies to generate electricity to sell?
Reply 157
And....
The size of the red-shift is not the same for all galaxies.
What information can scientists find out about a galaxy when they measure the size of
the red-shift the galaxy produces?
Original post by LolaMac
The increasing use of energy resources to generate electricity within developed
countries has ethical implications.
Suggest one ethical implication.

Help* :smile:

read my answer below
Reply 159
People shouldn't be able to use other(poorer people's land) in order to generate electicitry maybe? Along as you mention people and how much they get paid something like people may be paid little money in order for companies to generate electricity to sell?

And
The size of the red-shift is not the same for all galaxies.
What information can scientists find out about a galaxy when they measure the size of
the red-shift the galaxy produces?
...............................................................................................................................

Latest

Trending

Trending