The Student Room Group

Mathematics examination paper from 1970

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
A-Level Maths shouldn't be like this, otherwise it would: put a lot of people off taking the subject or convince people to drop the subject, and thus, they will only have an education of up to GCSE Maths for when they go to university. So the only people who will benefit are the elite mathematicians. Also note, the demand for A-Level Maths teachers will decline because less people are choosing to study it, hence less jobs for mathematics graduates.

However, for the elite, 'we' are already challenging ourselves with AEA/STEP/MAT and the paper provided by Mr M is no harder than AEA.

When 90% of an average year group can master STEP III, then it will be appropriate to increase the difficulty of the A-Level exams.

Students could handle this in the 1960s/70s and they haven't gotten stupider, so there is no reason why, once they get used to this level of difficulty, they couldn't handle it now.

Although I do agree with you that this level of difficulty would put a lot of people off, but I think A-Level was sat by very few people in the 60s and 70s, and S-Level was for a even smaller number of students(The best of the best basically). So the S-Level paper in the OP wasn't sat by the majority of candidates.

(Please correct me on this if I'm wrong).
Original post by Mr M
<snip>

This is a very old thread, but since its come up again, do you happen to have the A-Level Maths paper from 1975?
Reply 162
Original post by around
This isn't a-level standard, this is more comparable to STEP.

Exactly. Have you seen the STEP papers, they're horrendous and the mark schemes are really low. These papers are for cambridge/imperial/warwick applicants. Normal A level mathematicians wouldn't stand a chance 1970's or not.
Original post by ThatPerson
This is a very old thread, but since its come up again, do you happen to have the A-Level Maths paper from 1975?

Let me look under my sofa.

:tongue:

Nope!

There was more than one A Level paper in 1975 and no-one maintains a complete collection.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by Mr M
Let me look under my sofa.

:tongue:

Nope!

There was more than one A Level paper in 1975 and no-one maintains a complete collection.

Do you by any chance happen to have old A-Level syllabi?
Original post by shamika

I don't think so.
Reply 166
Original post by Mr M
I don't think so.

Worth a shot. Do the exam boards keep them? Shocked they don't have a full set of old past papers...
Original post by shamika
Worth a shot. Do the exam boards keep them? Shocked they don't have a full set of old past papers...

Examination paper nostalgia may be a relatively recent development.
Original post by Mr M
they were back then! but that isn't the approach expected ... i looked at gradients too

Would this work?

Prove that x + 1 is a tangent to e^x at (0, 1) by plugging in x = 0 and finding the gradient to be 1 at x = 0. Then plug in any other x value and show that x + 1 is less than e^x, and since x + 1 doesn't cross e^x again it is less than or equal to it.

EDIT: Just realised this is an old thread.
Reply 169
Original post by shamika

As MrM points out, there were several A Level (and for that matter O level) exam boards and syllabi at that time.

I too would be curious to see some of the papers I sat from the 1980s.

You may be interested to know that we studied a Modern Maths syllabus (moderated by the School Mathematics Project) at my school - for my O Level exam (not even A Level!) we had to learn:

matrices and vectors including multiplication of rectangular matrices of various sizes
determinants and matrix inverses of 2x2 inverses
use of matrices to represent 2D transformations - rotations, reflections and shear
modular arithmetic
groups - basic group tables and knowledge of the axioms
converting numbers between different number bases e.g. decimal and hexadecimal or base-5 to base-8
basic set notation - inclusion, is-an-element-of, subsets, empty set
basic topology - Euler's formula for polygons (and possibly polyhedra)
logarithms

I can also remember in class that we looked at the Fibonacci and Farey sequences, and tessellations of various shapes.

For the SMP A Level there was a strong focus on vector techniques in kinematics, and the standard A level syllabus included complex numbers.

I had a look at some Further Maths papers from a traditional syllabus at the time and they included questions on partial differentiation!

There's definitely an assumption now that teenage students are incapable of studying anything vaguely interesting or out of the ordinary :frown:
Original post by Mr M
Examination paper nostalgia may be a relatively recent development.

here are some more retro papers... O Level this time

http://bland.in/GCE/index.html

http://www.burtongrammar.co.uk/school-work

here are some O & A level papers:

http://www.mathapps.net/exams/aaaexams.htm
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by davros
As MrM points out, there were several A Level (and for that matter O level) exam boards and syllabi at that time.

You may be interested to know that we studied a Modern Maths syllabus (moderated by the School Mathematics Project) at my school - for my O Level exam (not even A Level!) we had to learn:

matrices and vectors including multiplication of rectangular matrices of various sizes
use of matrices to represent 2D transformations - rotations, reflections and shear
modular arithmetic
converting numbers between different number bases e.g. decimal and hexadecimal or base-5 to base-8
logarithms

I can also remember in class that we looked at the Fibonacci and Farey sequences, and tessellations of various shapes.

For the SMP A Level there was a strong focus on vector techniques in kinematics, and the standard A level syllabus included complex numbers.

I had a look at some Further Maths papers from a traditional syllabus at the time and they included questions on partial differentiation!

There's definitely an assumption now that teenage students are incapable of studying anything vaguely interesting or out of the ordinary :frown:

Well this is precisely the reason I want to see what was available - I took my A-Levels in the early 2000s, and apart from central forces in M6, they're pretty much the same as the A-Levels now. I would've paid a lot more attention if the A-Level syllabus was kept like it was around the 60's and 70's...
Original post by davros

modular arithmetic
logarithms

I think vector spaces were in some further maths syllabuses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shamika

Here you go ...

Here are the London (later to become Edexcel) syllabuses for O Level (GCSE equivalent) and A Level for 1952. The lack of detail compared to present-day specifications is notable.
Reply 174
Original post by Mr M
Here you go ...

Here are the London (later to become Edexcel) syllabuses for O Level (GCSE equivalent) and A Level for 1952. The lack of detail compared to present-day specifications is notable.

Thanks! Did further maths not exist back in 1952? (So you had to take all of today's equivalent of C1-C4, FP1-FP3 to get a single A-Level?).

Also: "The questions will be of a simple and straightforward character". Clearly dumbing down was an issue in the 1950s too :wink:

EDIT: The difference between O level maths and GCSE higher tier is just shocking. How can anyone with a straight face say that these are comparable qualifications? The A-Levels hold up far better than that.

The reason I was asking for the syllabi around 1970 is because I believe that's around the time when there is a proliferation of exam boards, and the introduction of a set theoretic approach to the A-Levels. I'm curious to see how much set theory / abstract algebra actually made it into the A-Levels, and whether its like the current MEI syllabus for FP3 (I.e. pretty useless)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by shamika
Thanks! Did further maths not exist back in 1952? (So you had to take all of today's equivalent of C1-C4, FP1-FP3 to get a single A-Level?).

Also: "The questions will be of a simple and straightforward character". Clearly dumbing down was an issue in the 1950s too :wink:

EDIT: The difference between O level maths and GCSE higher tier is just shocking. How can anyone with a straight face say that these are comparable qualifications? The A-Levels hold up far better than that.

The reason I was asking for the syllabi around 1970 is because I believe that's around the time when there is a proliferation of exam boards, and the introduction of a set theoretic approach to the A-Levels. I'm curious to see how much set theory / abstract algebra actually made it into the A-Levels, and whether its like the current MEI syllabus for FP3 (I.e. pretty useless)

MEI had a weird setup, at least for the 80s, in that partial diff was NOT in either the single or further syllabus yet it was for Single S-Level!

Kind of contradicts the notion that S-Level does NOT require knowledge of extra material!
Reply 176
Very interesting. Definitely more difficult than A level today, seems equivalent in difficulty to A2 further maths to me.
Unfortunately this was the standard right up until around the late 80's, when over the years the dumbing down of the complexity of the questions occurred.
Now I'd say Maths A level today is no more taxing than the old GCE OA level Additional Maths 30 years ago .. shocking!
Original post by twincamturbo
Now I'd say Maths A level today is no more taxing than the old GCE OA level Additional Maths 30 years ago .. shocking!

I took GCE OA Additional Maths 30 (to 1 s.f.) years ago and that is an exaggeration.
I know that this is an old thread, but it has made me realise the slash and burn job done on A level maths (maybe all A levels). I sat maths and further maths in 1991. I also did two STEP papers. The content of the current A level (for both maths and further maths) is much smaller. Even if you ignore the content, the depth isn't their either. It is a real loss for students who really enjoy mathematics and could really benefit from learning an area in depth. I don't know why this was done? If it was just to inflate the grades then we're all poorer for it. Maths is a beautiful subject and learning it at this level gives you a fantastic component of a great education. I would urge anyone who enjoys maths to get hold of an old syllabus, old exam papers, and a good quality 'old' text book. It is much harder than the current excuse, but you'll realise why you'll benefit very fast. I'm not trying to make some statement about how easy the A level is now. My statement is how talented students are missing out on a great opportunity. I was fortunate to find some musty old Schaum text books in my fathers box of papers. I learnt so much at A level just from these books.

Quick Reply

Latest