The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mladenov

Problem 45*

Let pp be a prime number, p>3p> 3. Given that the equation pk+pl+pm=n2p^{k}+p^{l}+p^{m}=n^{2} has an integer solution, then p1(mod8)p \equiv -1 \pmod 8.

Spoiler

Reply 281
Original post by Star-girl

Spoiler

Problem 48*

f:RRf:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} and w:RRw:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}. Prove that there exist no f,wf,w such that f(w(x))=x2f\big(w(x)\big)=x^2 and w(f(x))=x3,w\big(f(x)\big)=x^3, but that there exist f,wf,w
satisfying f(w(x))=x2f\big(w(x)\big)=x^2 and w(f(x))=x4w\big(f(x)\big)=x^4
Does wf(x)0 x0  wf(x)\leq 0 \ \forall x \leq 0 \ and
Unparseable latex formula:

\ fw(x) \greq 0 \ \forall x \greq 0 \

mean  f(x)0 x0\ f(x) \leq 0 \ \forall x \leq 0 ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mladenov

Spoiler

Thoughts so far:

Since p>2, then all of p^(k,l,m) are odd. Since odd + odd + odd = odd, n^2 must be odd, which means n must be odd. If n is odd it must be congruent to either 1,3,5 or 7 mod 8. 1^2 = 1, 3^2 = 9 , 5^2 =25, 7^2 =49. Hence n^2 is congruent to 1 mod 8.

p^(k,l,m) are all odd so are congruent to 1,3,5 or 7 mod 8. If any of k,l,m are even p^(k,l,m) will be congruent to 1 mod 8, by similar reasoning to above. For odd powers they will be congruent to 1,3,5 or 7 mod8. If p is congruent to 3 mod 8 for example, p to an odd power will also be congruent to 3 mod 8.

The congruencies must 'add up' to 1 mod 8, as n^2 is congruent to 1 mod 8. So:

if p is congruent to 1 mod 8:

1mod8 +1mod8 +1mod8 does not equal 1mod8 so this isn't possible.

p is congruent to 3 mod 8:

3mod8 + 3mod8 + 3mod8 = 9mod8 = 1mod 8 so this is possible.

p is congruent to 5 mod8 :

5mod8 + 5mod8 + 5mod8 = 15mod8 = 7mod 8 not required.

5mod8 + 5mod8 + 1mod8 = 11mod8 = 3mod8 not required.

5mod8 + 1mod8 + 1mod8 = 7mod8 not required.

1mod8 + 1mod8 + 1mod8 = 3mod8 not required, so p can't be congruent to 5mod8.

For p is congruent to 7mod8:

7mod8 + 1mod8 + 1mod8 = 9mod8 = 1mod8, hence it is possible.

So either:

p is congruent to 3 mod 8 or -1mod8.

However if we look back at our original condition:

pk+pl+pm=n2 p^k + p^l + p^m = n^2 we notice that for p>3 not all three powers can be equal as this would lead to, for example:

3pk 3p^k which can only be a perfect square when p=3, to make an even power on the 3 in its prime factorization. Any other value of p which is a multiple of 3 would not be both prime and square. Also we have shown above that either all three powers are odd, or two are even and one is odd. So we can say without loss of generality k<l,m k < l,m .
pk(1+plk+pmk)=n2 p^{k}(1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k}) = n^2

We know:

1+plk+pmk 1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k} is a perfect square if k is even, and must be odd as all three terms are odd. Hence it is congruent to 1mod8. So if p is congruent to 3mod8, we shown above that all powers must be even. This means l-k and m-k is even. This means that inside the bracket is congruent to 3 mod 8 which is irrelevant.

If we had p being congruent to -1mod8, then k is even and one of l and m is odd, the other even. This means within the bracket you have congruencies of 1mod8, -1mod8 and 1mod8 which add up to 1mod8.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by metaltron

p is congruent to 3 mod 8:

3mod8 + 3mod8 + 3mod8 = 9mod8 = 1mod 8 so this is possible.

However if we look back at our original condition:

pk+pl+pm=n2 p^k + p^l + p^m = n^2 we notice that for p>3 not all three powers can be equal as this would lead to, for example:

3pk 3p^k which can only be a perfect square when p=3, to make an even power on the 3 in its prime factorization. Any other value of p which is a multiple of 3 would not be both prime and square. Also we have shown above that either all three powers are even, or two are even and one is odd. So we can say without loss of generality k<l,m k < l,m with k even.

pk(1+plk+pmk)=n2 p^k(1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k}) = n^2

Surely you've shown that either all three powers are odd or two are even and one is odd, since p3 (mod8) and pa3 (mod8)a is odd, ap\equiv 3 \ (mod8) \ and \ p^a \equiv 3 \ (mod 8) \Rightarrow a \ is \ odd, \ \forall a (see bold).

Apart from this point I have the same proof as you but I've been trying to show that it must actually be the latter case that is true in order to complete the proof...
(edited 10 years ago)
Surely you've shown that either all three powers are odd or two are even and one is odd, since p3 (mod8) and pa3 (mod8)a is odd, ap\equiv 3 \ (mod8) \ and \ p^a \equiv 3 \ (mod 8) \Rightarrow a \ is \ odd, \ \forall a (see bold).

Apart from this point I have the same proof as you but I've been trying to show that it must actually be the latter case that is true in order to complete the proof...

Very true, don't know how that happened :s-smilie:
Reply 287

Spoiler

I'm wondering if you're having issues with the question because you haven't multiplied the integral by the Jacobian for the change to spherical polar coordinates.

So you should end up evaluating

I= r=01θ=0πϕ=02πcos(arcosθ) r2sinθ dϕdθdrI = \displaystyle\ \int_{r=0}^1 \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} \int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi} \cos(|\textbf{a}| r\cos\theta) \ r^2 \sin\theta \ \, \mathrm{d} \phi\,\mathrm{d} \theta\,\mathrm{d}r

What you should end up with is:

I=4πa3(sin(a)acos(a))I = \dfrac{4\pi}{|\textbf{a}|^3} \left(\sin(|\textbf{a}|) - |\textbf{a}|\cos(|\textbf{a}|) \right)

Hope this helps, if you need any help on the steps in-between let me know! :smile:
Reply 288
This is as far as I got when I tried it.

Spoiler

1+plk+pmk 1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k} is a perfect square if k is even, and must be odd as all three terms are odd. Hence it is congruent to 1mod8. So if p is congruent to 3mod8, we shown above that all powers must be odd. This means l-k and m-k is even. This means that inside the bracket is congruent to 3 mod 8 which is a contradiction.

Sorry if I'm being rather pedantic but the bit in bold is not necessarily true: since all 3 terms are odd, then

1+plk+pmk1,3,5,7 (mod 8) 1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k} \equiv 1,3,5,7 \ (mod \ 8) i.e. it is not restricted to being 1 (mod 8)1 \ (mod \ 8).
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry if I'm being rather pedantic but the bit in bold is not necessarily true: since all 3 terms are odd, then

1+plk+pmk1,3,5,7 (mod 8) 1 + p^{l-k} + p^{m-k} \equiv 1,3,5,7 \ (mod \ 8) it is not restricted to being 1 (mod 8)1 \ (mod \ 8).

If its a perfect square it will be 1mod8, I showed this above.
Original post by Noble.
I'm wondering if you're having issues with the question because you haven't multiplied the integral by the Jacobian for the change to spherical polar coordinates.

So you should end up evaluating

I= r=01θ=0πϕ=02πcos(arcosθ) r2sinθ dϕdθdrI = \displaystyle\ \int_{r=0}^1 \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} \int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi} \cos(|\textbf{a}| r\cos\theta) \ r^2 \sin\theta \ \, \mathrm{d} \phi\,\mathrm{d} \theta\,\mathrm{d}r

What you should end up with is:

I=4πa3(sin(a)acos(a))I = \dfrac{4\pi}{|\textbf{a}|^3} \left(\sin(|\textbf{a}|) - |\textbf{a}|\cos(|\textbf{a}|) \right)

Hope this helps, if you need any help on the steps in-between let me know! :smile:

I had multiplied the integral by the Jacobian, so I must have just made some errors along the way. Thanks - I'll try and see where I went astray. :smile:

Interestingly enough, I evaluated the integral in the opposite direction i.e. drdr first then dθ d\theta and finally dϕ d\phi ...

EDIT: In hindsight perhaps my direction of evaluation for the integral was not wise - I'd better reverse it as you intended.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 292

Using the difference of two squares would have simplified it immensely.
Original post by und
Using the difference of two squares would have simplified it immensely.

How did you show that it is not possible with p being congruent to 3mod8. This would mean the part inside the bracket is not a perfect square.

Yes, but my qualm is that you haven't actually shown that it must be a perfect square first...
Yes, but my qualm is that you haven't actually shown that it must be a perfect square first...

Yeah that's because the proof isn't complete yet.
Reply 296
How did you show that it is not possible with p being congruent to 3mod8. This would mean the part inside the bracket is not a perfect square.

It's clear that the RHS contains an even power of p if n is an integer, and therefore so does the LHS.
Yeah that's because the proof isn't complete yet.

Ah right - my bad. That's what I've been trying to show with little success. :tongue:
Reply 298
If I were to complete my proof it would involve showing by exhaustion that the only a<8:ab=1mod8a<8: a^b=-1 \mod 8 for some bb is a=7a=7.
Reply 299
Original post by und
If I were to complete my proof it would involve showing by exhaustion that the only a<8:ab=1mod8a<8: a^b=-1 \mod 8 for some bb is a=7a=7.

Can't you do that in about one step? 1^2=3^2=5^2=7^2=1mod8, so the only a s.t. a^k=7mod8 for some k is 7.

Quick Reply

Latest