The Student Room Group

How can I juggle a return to Uni?

Hi all,

Im a 28 year old male, currently in a job I do not want to be doing in the near future.

Going forward, I have been researching about becoming a Occupational Therapist, and have arranged for some good work experience in the coming months, which I would need for my application and is a good idea anyway.

If I got a place on the course, this would mean not starting until Sept 2014, in which ill be 29, nearly 30 :frown:

The age thing is a little concern for me, but realise its not really an issue, as in the long term it will all be worth it im sure.

Im just trying to get my head round how I would cope financially really. I currently rent a appartment with my partner, have the usual outgoings really, no debts 2bh. The course is funded by the NHS, so dont think I can get any more help as a mature student, or maybe I could?

Are any other grants / funding available that you do not have to pay back?

Any feedback would be appreciated on this...

Many thanks

J
Reply 1
30's not old, I'm going back to University in September, I'll be 36 by then.

You should look into NHS bursaries, not sure how they work for Occupational therapy but no harm looking into it. I'm not aware of any extra help that is just for mature students. You may have to consider a part time job to get you through.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

Just had a quick glance into the Bursaries, then with the grant & bursary, could be entitled to about £4 k, which obviously is a big help, even if that paid for the rent during that period.

I currently work for my fathers business, so im sure I could do some admin work during term time, then admin and manual stuff during summer holidays etc.

Can you be employed part time still as a student? Just thinking of the tax side of things if you are working legitimately etc
Reply 3
Original post by jfromnorfolk
Thanks for your reply.

Just had a quick glance into the Bursaries, then with the grant & bursary, could be entitled to about £4 k, which obviously is a big help, even if that paid for the rent during that period.

I currently work for my fathers business, so im sure I could do some admin work during term time, then admin and manual stuff during summer holidays etc.

Can you be employed part time still as a student? Just thinking of the tax side of things if you are working legitimately etc

Yes you can work while you are a student. It is perfectly legal as long as you declare your earnings and pay an tax that would be due. Bear in mind you are unlikely to have to pay much tax if at all when you take into account your tax free allowance. I am planning to stay in my current job to help support us while I am studying.
Reply 4
Hi all,

Im a 28 year old male, currently in a job I do not want to be doing in the near future.

Going forward, I have been researching about becoming a Occupational Therapist, and have arranged for some good work experience in the coming months, which I would need for my application and is a good idea anyway.

If I got a place on the course, this would mean not starting until Sept 2014, in which ill be 29, nearly 30 :frown:

The age thing is a little concern for me, but realise its not really an issue, as in the long term it will all be worth it im sure.

Im just trying to get my head round how I would cope financially really. I currently rent a appartment with my partner, have the usual outgoings really, no debts 2bh. The course is funded by the NHS, so dont think I can get any more help as a mature student, or maybe I could?

Are any other grants / funding available that you do not have to pay back?

Any feedback would be appreciated on this...

Many thanks

J

Hi,

Please, please, please do not ever think you are too old to change career! I'm just waiting for a decision on whether I've been accepted for OT at Derby and I'm 41!!! If anything, it can be an advantage depending on what life experiences you have! Am I correct in saying that as you would be a full time student you would pay no council tax and your partner would therefore get single occupancy reductions? Your student allowances would also depend on whether you do a Bsc or Msc. On the Bsc you would be entitled to a grant and maintenance loan depending on your joint income...would it be so bad if you had student loans? These do not need paying back until you are earning £20000 and the repayments are pretty low! It would be worth it for sure!!

In my opinion, you should go for it!!!!

Debx
Reply 5
Thanks alot for your feedback Deb.

Did you have to do a open uni course initially before applying?

What is your background if you dont mind me asking? Have you done any voluntary work exp with any OTs?

I would be doing the BSC OT degree.

I think I read on the .GOV.UK site about NHS bursaries, id be entitled to a £1000 grant, and also a means tested bursary, £3-3K, neither of which need to be paid back, is that right?

Yeh I know of the student loans, and is a good option, If I can cope without though id rather use the grants wisely, and do some part time work to see me through.

Jamie x
Reply 6
Thanks for your reply SHONAT,

What course are you looking to study then? What work would you be doing alongside it?

Cheers

J x
Reply 7
Jamie,

I'd be taking everything you are entitled to. Student loans will never count against you when applying for mortgages or other finance and do not take much out of you wages once you have graduated either, win / win situation, really. :smile:

As for going back to university - do it! Whatever you do, don't think you are too old, it is better to regret the things you have done than the things you haven't. :smile:
Reply 8
Whilst in an unrelated field, I went back to uni at the ripe old age of 44 - it's definitely never too late At 49, I'm still there and now starting a PhD (although I'm unlikely to finish it as I run out of money). I've loved it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Reply 9
Thanks for your reply SHONAT,

What course are you looking to study then? What work would you be doing alongside it?

Cheers

J x

I'm going to do MSc nursing with registration. I already work with the OOH service so will continue with that.
Reply 10
Hi Jamie,

I am practically in the exact same boat as you, except I have a lot more debt. I am returning to do an access course in September so I can start OT in September 2014 hopefully, I will be 28 then too.

I did apply to go back this year however was told that becuase I had over 5 years break from study, I could not be considered.

You are right in the finance available, plus there is a Reduced Rate Maintenance loan of £2324 per year available from Student Finance. The total for the year works out approximately £5900 per year, which is £500 per month, not really that bad. Plus you can work part-time to make that up to the standard £1000 after tax that many people survive on every day. So definitely do not be put off by finances.

I had a mini breakdown a few months ago and started panicking thinking I was too old, but then someone reminded me that I had been working 10 years full time, after I qualify I could expect to work another 30 years, so definitely not too old. Plus I would do anything to be able to get up in the morning to go to a job I would love doing.

I hope this helps / makes you feel more at ease, knowing there is someone else in the exact same situation

Michael
Reply 11
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your input into this thread.

It is quite reassuring other people like yourself, and im sure there are many 1000's in the same boat in terms of worrying about there futures. A bit of a mid to late 20's crisis if you like.

What will you accommodation situation be when you return to study?

What are you looking to study / enter what field of work?

Im hoping to get by with the NHS grant & bursary that I wouldn't have to pay back, and working as much as I can for my dads business.

J
Reply 12
Im hoping to get by with the NHS grant & bursary that I wouldn't have to pay back, and working as much as I can for my dads business.J

You apply/re-apply for Student Finance each year, so if things don't work out financially in your first year, you'll still be able to apply later in your course. You at least have that safety net, even if you don't plan to use it at the moment.

Good luck!
Reply 13
Hi Michael,

It is quite reassuring other people like yourself, and im sure there are many 1000's in the same boat in terms of worrying about there futures. A bit of a mid to late 20's crisis if you like.

Im hoping to get by with the NHS grant & bursary that I wouldn't have to pay back, and working as much as I can for my dads business.

J

Work wise, I would take into account the fact that you will be on placement for some of the year. During this time its unlikely that you'll be able to work, unless it is on weekends. You could also be placed far away from your home and be forced to move for the duration of your placement. Just saying so you can take this into consideration and save up as much as possible before you start.
Source - Housemate is currently studying OT.
Reply 14
Hi Michael,

J

I currently rent privately so if I get into the 1 Uni in Northern Ireland that offers my course, then I will just continue to rent privately.

I am planning to study Occupational Therapy also, its is my dream, I have had a lot of tragedy in my family life recently and it just gave me that push to pursue my dream, life is far too short.

I dont think I could survive on bursary alone, but I do intend to work as much as possible as long as my study isnt jeaprodised.

If I dont get into University of Ulster then things get a lot tougher trying to relocate to England and find accomodation, and work, and make new friends.

Where abouts do you intend to study?
Reply 15
Thanks alot for your feedback Deb.

Did you have to do a open uni course initially before applying?

What is your background if you dont mind me asking? Have you done any voluntary work exp with any OTs?

I would be doing the BSC OT degree.

I think I read on the .GOV.UK site about NHS bursaries, id be entitled to a £1000 grant, and also a means tested bursary, £3-3K, neither of which need to be paid back, is that right?

Yeh I know of the student loans, and is a good option, If I can cope without though id rather use the grants wisely, and do some part time work to see me through.

Jamie x

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for not replying sooner...I only just saw your post!

Have you made any decisions yet on what you are going to do?

Since my last post to you I have been accepted onto the MSc OT course at Derby so you see it doesn't matter what age you are, anything is possible :biggrin:.

My background is a real mixed bag consisting of a BTEC Business studies course straight from school, working in an office for 7 years, training to be a beauty therapist, a variety of restaurant jobs, moving and working in Spain etc etc lol...it wasn't until I had my daughter that I realised I had more potential and suddenly gained more confidence to better myself. She was definately the inspiration to spur me on :smile:

In 2007 I decided to do an Access to HE course part time over 2 years as I'd been out of education for a while and also needed to retake my maths as I only got an E at school :eek:. This was an access to nursing (healthcare) course which I highly recommend. It definately set me up for writing essays, referencing etc and was a good intro to uni. I then went on to study a BSc (Hons) Exercise, Nutrition, Health degree which was fab...I graduated in July last year. The degree is very related to OT as we learnt about the aetiology and management of disease including mental health, psychology, health promotion, health assessments etc. I have also done some voluntary work including health promotion with my local city council, befriending families in need, and I also worked on a weight loss programme with kids.

I also went along to an info session about OT at a local hospital where 4 different OTs talked about their roles etc. That was very helpful!

If you're going to do the BSc and haven't already got a degree, I think you have to apply for all the money being offered to you. Yes, at the moment that includes a £1000 grant, your fees being paid, a living allowance bursary, and a maintenance loan. Grants and burseries do not have to be paid back or do your fees. You would only owe back the maintenance loan! Remember though that these amounts are all subject to change each year.

In agreement with another poster, I'd think hard about relying on P/T work during your degree. I think some people do it but the more out of uni study you can do the better, and you have 1000 hrs placements to think about which are usually full time from 8-4 or 9-5.

Sorry this post was long winded, but I really wanted you to get a good idea from my perspective being I am that 'little' bit older (but not necessarily wiser :wink:)

Give me a shout if you have any more questions and good luck!

Debx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
hi, I'm in the same situation but just a bit older... having a major mid life career change ( i'm an architect at the moment) and hoping to apply to start physio in September 2014. I need to do an open uni human biology module over the next year, and have started working as a physio assistant at the local ms and stroke therapy centre which I love! I do go through mood swings of thinking i'm too old, i'll just get into a heap of more debt, can I cope with the studying, but as someone has posted already, I want to get up on a Monday morning looking forward to the week ahead at work and not being in tears by 9.15 because I hate it so much!!I just wish I could start tomorrow...
Reply 17
Original post by deedee24
hi, I'm in the same situation but just a bit older... having a major mid life career change ( i'm an architect at the moment) and hoping to apply to start physio in September 2014. I need to do an open uni human biology module over the next year, and have started working as a physio assistant at the local ms and stroke therapy centre which I love! I do go through mood swings of thinking i'm too old, i'll just get into a heap of more debt, can I cope with the studying, but as someone has posted already, I want to get up on a Monday morning looking forward to the week ahead at work and not being in tears by 9.15 because I hate it so much!!I just wish I could start tomorrow...

Hi Deedee,

The good thing is, it isnt that much debt, comparibly. I am so glad to see others on here going through similar experiences. I wish I could get a job as an OT assistant or similar, but the best I can hope for is some care work. I am currently working for Student Loans and its great getting a lot of info and speaking with students every day, just cant wait to be at the other side of the phone. Dont know if I should try to get a care based job now or while I study my Access course or continue with my current stress free job until Uni.
Do what you want which will make you happy in work. It's what am doing, am off to uni in September to study sport and physical education. With aim of becoming a PE teacher. As i known I will really enjoy it. Where as it's a real struggle to get out of bed in morning for current job. I decided that I had to do something end of last year. So I took steps, am 24, will be 25 within month of starting. By time am qualified after PGCE I'll be 29.

But am glad am doing this, as I feel it's my chance to make something of myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending