The Student Room Group

Hi could someone do a mathematical calculation for me please?

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place but I would appreciate if someone could work out a percentage for me (law student, terrible at maths!).

If a dissertation is 1/3 of a final module score, and someone has achieved 67% in their dissertation, what do they require in the exam (that counts for the remaining 2/3) to get at least 60% overall in that module?

Thanks
Reply 1
56.5%
1.5(0.60.673)1.5 (0.6 - \frac{0.67}{3})
Original post by suffocation1992
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place but I would appreciate if someone could work out a percentage for me (law student, terrible at maths!).

If a dissertation is 1/3 of a final module score, and someone has achieved 67% in their dissertation, what do they require in the exam (that counts for the remaining 2/3) to get at least 60% overall in that module?

Thanks

Let's suppose the module is marked out of 100, so you need a total score of 60 to pass.

The dissertation is worth 33.3 marks (i.e., 1/3), and you scored 2/3 of that, so a score of 22.2.

The exam is worth 66.7 marks (i.e. 2/3), and you need to score 37.8 (60-22.2) on the exam to get a final module score of 60.
37.8/66.7 is 56.7%, which is your answer

Where do I send my invoice? :wink:
Original post by Pastaferian

To the Office of Sloppy Rounding?
Original post by Pastaferian
Let's suppose the module is marked out of 100, so you need a total score of 60 to pass.

The dissertation is worth 33.3 marks (i.e., 1/3), and you scored 2/3 of that, so a score of 22.2.

The exam is worth 66.7 marks (i.e. 2/3), and you need to score 37.8 (60-22.2) on the exam to get a final module score of 60.
37.8/66.7 is 56.7%, which is your answer

Fantastic! I don't know how you worked that out, but I suppose we all have our specialities! Umm I can rep you :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
1.5(0.60.673)1.5 (0.6 - \frac{0.67}{3})

Might have been better to give it as 150 rather than 1.5
Reply 7
Fantastic! I don't know how you worked that out, but I suppose we all have our specialities! Umm I can rep you :biggrin:

Post 2 and 3 gave the correct answer and are, therefore, more deserving of your rep
Original post by TenOfThem
Might have been better to give it as 150 rather than 1.5

I intended to multiply it all by x (where x = 100) but then decided to follow your advice from earlier and just throw x away.
Original post by the bear
56.5%

This is correct.

60/100 is 0.6.
300 by 0.6 is 180.
180-67 is 113.
Then 113/2= 56.5

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Mr M
I intended to multiply it all by x (where x = 100) but then decided to follow your advice from earlier and just throw x away.

I did not throw it away

I took it out and worked with the rest

grrrrrrrrrrr
Reply 12
Original post by TenOfThem
I did not throw it away

I took it out and worked with the rest

grrrrrrrrrrr

i did it in my head :borat:

Sorry we were being naughty and referencing another thread

Well .. MrM was being naughty as he brought the discussion here

Fab! You know how to halve 7 and subtract it from 60!
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M
Fab! You know how to halve 7 and subtract it from 60!

hehehe

Quick Reply