The Student Room Group

Zoology Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wrnicholls
It's pretty incredible, I love the uni it looks amazing.

I had spotted the WildDocSoc actually, what's it like? My career aspirations are to become a natural history documentary presenter.

Sorry I replied in a reply not in a quote..so I thought I'd quote you just so you know I've replied :P Thestudentroom is a mystery to me!
Original post by LateNightSkies
Hey, honestly I'm in love with Exeter, Cornwall Campus/the CEC especially :P

We only became an official society in January and we're still in the process of getting the society established. We're still at the stage of applying for funding for equipment and things, but we've already had some AWESOME people come and chat to us (including Doug Anderson (Underwater Cameraman) and James Honeyborne (Africa series producer) and we've got some really great people lined up to come down and talk to us over Freshers (I won't spoil the surprises just yet, but it should be GOOD!).

Once we get hold of some equipment, we'll be looking to focus more on workshops designed to help increase the skillsets of people and give them role-specific experience (with members of the NHU etc invited down to help us run them) and practical filming projects which students can use to start building a portfolio etc. We hope that the society will allow students to gain contacts and show a real passion for wildlife filmmaking and commitment to a career in the industry.

So far, all the people we've spoken to within the industry seem really interested and keen to support what we're doing and we hope we can build some strong links with the relevant production companies etc to help facilitate people who want to get work experience placements etc. We're the one and only WildDocSoc in the country so at the moment its a unique and interesting thing to be part of and we hope we can continue to build on an encouraging initial year :smile:

P.S Nick Baker is an honourary lecturer at Exeter - so we're hoping we'll be able to persuade him to come and do a presenting workshop at some point in the future when he's not too busy! :smile:

This sounds fantastic! I will definitely be signing up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wrnicholls
This sounds fantastic! I will definitely be signing up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should ALL sign up! :smile: The more members we get, the more money we can spend on equipment and getting really awesome people to come and see us!

I don't know if this breaks rules..but here's a link to the WildDocSoc fb page http://www.facebook.com/WildDocSoc if anyone wants to keep up to date with what we've got planned for Freshers etc :smile:
Reply 383
Has everyone already chosen their firm and insurance choice? Feel like I'm leaving it a bit late :tongue:
I'm not a zoology applicant but I was wondering, did many of you need animal work experience to apply?
Reply 385
Original post by itsjordan
Has everyone already chosen their firm and insurance choice? Feel like I'm leaving it a bit late :tongue:

i had unconditionals from my unis and i chose manchester for sure firmed last week!
Reply 386
Original post by LittleOwl27
I'm not a zoology applicant but I was wondering, did many of you need animal work experience to apply?

i had 0 animal experience and got offers from all of my unis. it's only going to help your statement though.
Original post by Fleurie
i had 0 animal experience and got offers from all of my unis. it's only going to help your statement though.

Okay thanks, I suppose I might do some anyway to put in my statement, and it will help me decide whether I want to do zoology :smile:
Reply 388
Just applied for accomodation at Exeter CC :biggrin:
Reply 389
Original post by itsjordan
Just applied for accomodation at Exeter CC :biggrin:

I've just accepted Exeter as my firm and Bristol as my insurance...i'm going to apply for accommodation asap! :smile:
Just accepted Newcastle as my firm and Nottingham as my insurance. Scared now as need to get working hard to meet my offers!
I'm thinking about putting zoology as my backup next year and I was just wondering what sort of jobs can you do after the degree??
Reply 392
I firmed and insured Exeter CC a few weeks ago :biggrin:
Reply 393
Original post by DaniD
Hi everyone :smile:
is anyone here on an Access Course at the moment with offers for Zoology?
It would be great if you could tell me what your offers are?
Thank you :smile:

Hi DaniD,

Yes I am doing the HE Certificate in Life Sciences at Birkbeck University which I will be finishing in June. I have offers from my top two universities, UCL and QMUL. UCL ask for distinction (70%+) in each module (1, 2, 3) for both chemistry and biology, and QMUL ask for an overall distinction (70%+).

Are you doing an access course?
confirmed hull as my first choice doing zoology!!!!
Original post by mujuknight
confirmed hull as my first choice doing zoology!!!!

I've firmed Hull for Zoology as well! :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by Fleurie
i had unconditionals from my unis and i chose manchester for sure firmed last week!

Congrats on unconditionals, that's amazing! Firmed Manchester too, absolutely buzzing, I can't wait!! Just need to get the grades
Reply 397
Original post by Lgambo

Congrats on unconditionals, that's amazing! Firmed Manchester too, absolutely buzzing, I can't wait!! Just need to get the grades

Yay first Manchester person I've seen! Which halls did you go for? So excited! See you next year :wink:
Has anyone else firmed Bristol?
Anyone thinking of going to Leicester? I've got my place and accommodation sorted as I'm on my gap year atm. I haven't seen anyone else going to Leicester, hope I'm not the only one!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending