The Student Room Group

Vodafone student discount?

I saw a killer deal on the s4 from dialaphone, Now just wondering that is the vodafone students deal is still applicable or if i want the 10% off, i need to buy from vodafone itself ?

The difference between the vodafone and dialaphone is that dialaphone gives 85 quid worth of accessories for free.
Killer deal and Vodafone will never be in the same sentence????

But no, you have to purchase via Vodafone online/telesales/retail.

You cannot purchase from a third party
You cannot purchase via a cashback site (TCB/Quidco)
It must be 1 connection per person
Have to be in Uni and in an eligible Uni. (need to have an ac.uk email)
Have to purchase a full price plan/phone.

What's the deal? I find it hard to believe Vodafone (even through a third party) offer something that can't be beaten.
Reply 2
Original post by Sum Gai
Killer deal and Vodafone will never be in the same sentence????

But no, you have to purchase via Vodafone online/telesales/retail.

You cannot purchase from a third party
You cannot purchase via a cashback site (TCB/Quidco)
It must be 1 connection per person
Have to be in Uni and in an eligible Uni. (need to have an ac.uk email)
Have to purchase a full price plan/phone.

What's the deal? I find it hard to believe Vodafone (even through a third party) offer something that can't be beaten.

Same deal except the 3rd parties are offering me these:
Samsung Protective Case
Screen Protector
32GB Micro SD Card
Micro USB In-Car Charger
Micro USB Data Cable

Anyway,
Phone cost unlocked - about 550.

My sim only plan is currently - 20.5 a month, = 246.

So total cost for me is 304. After a year i may sell, I should get at least around 350 or 300 at most. Even if i don't sell, i recently discovered a new option which is giffgaff sim cards which is around 15 quid a month.

Just worked it out, TCB seems better then 10%discount

300mins, Unlimited texts, 250mb internet-------> £647 - £101 TCB = £546
600mins, Unlimited texts, 500mb internet-------> £655 - £101 TCB = £554
Unlimited mins, Unlimited texts, 1gb internet--> £663 - £101 TCB = £562
Unlimited mins, Unlimited texts, 2gb internet--> £683 - £101 TCB = £582
Original post by Xamanus
Same deal except the 3rd parties are offering me these:
Samsung Protective Case
Screen Protector
32GB Micro SD Card
Micro USB In-Car Charger
Micro USB Data Cable

Anyway,
Phone cost unlocked - about 550.

My sim only plan is currently - 20.5 a month, = 246.

So total cost for me is 304. After a year i may sell, I should get at least around 350 or 300 at most. Even if i don't sell, i recently discovered a new option which is giffgaff sim cards which is around 15 quid a month.

Just worked it out, TCB seems better then 10%discount

300mins, Unlimited texts, 250mb internet-------> £647 - £101 TCB = £546
600mins, Unlimited texts, 500mb internet-------> £655 - £101 TCB = £554
Unlimited mins, Unlimited texts, 1gb internet--> £663 - £101 TCB = £562
Unlimited mins, Unlimited texts, 2gb internet--> £683 - £101 TCB = £582

Oh you're looking at 12 month contracts? Then vodafone is your only choice. TCB will work out better than vodafones deal. BUT only if it pays out.

It might be cheaper to look at a 24 month deal and sell the handset after 12 months.

T-Mobile for example are doing 500 mins/unl texts and unl data for £26pm + £99 upfront = £723 (£683 after cashback) so works out much better over a 24 month period.

Or if you want a 4G contract go with Three who are offering £35pm and a free phone with unlimited 4G data and £85 cashback via TCB.

T-Mobile and Three have better networks than vodafone. And are much better than the overrated giff gaff network.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sum Gai
Oh you're looking at 12 month contracts? Then vodafone is your only choice. TCB will work out better than vodafones deal. BUT only if it pays out.

It might be cheaper to look at a 24 month deal and sell the handset after 12 months.

T-Mobile for example are doing 500 mins/unl texts and unl data for £26pm + £99 upfront = £723 (£683 after cashback) so works out much better over a 24 month period.

Or if you want a 4G contract go with Three who are offering £35pm and a free phone with unlimited 4G data and £85 cashback via TCB.

T-Mobile and Three have better networks than vodafone. And are much better than the overrated giff gaff network.

Wow the deal of Three is super hot if it allows tethering. Unlimted 4g, 100% value for money compared to other deals. Sadly im leaving UK by end of June next year, so a 12 month contract is only what I need. Just wondering does vodafone have 4g?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xamanus
Just wondering does vodafone have 4g?

vodafone gets 4g in the summer.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
vodafone gets 4g in the summer.

True but it'll be in the form of a bolt on so you may have to pay £5pm (for example) more just to get access to 4G.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sum Gai
True but it'll be in the form of a bolt on so you may have to pay £5pm (for example) more just to get access to 4G.

Didn't know that - thanks for the info. Will be interesting to know competitive they will be with their pricing.

Currently on a Vodafone 18 month contract ending this July sometime, was thinking of quitting as the 3G speeds are rubbish where I live. This morning I do a speed-test, and get my best ever record anywhere in the country yet - 6.9mbps. Made me wonder if this was due to any recent upgrades in my area, possibly due to the pending 4G roll-out.

Made me rethink leaving - hopefully I will be able to snag a good retention deal and stay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Didn't know that - thanks for the info. Will be interesting to know competitive they will be with their pricing.

Currently on a Vodafone 18 month contract ending this July sometime, was thinking of quitting as the 3G speeds are rubbish where I live. This morning I do a speed-test, and get my best ever record anywhere in the country yet - 6.9mbps. Made me wonder if this was due to any recent upgrades in my area, possibly due to the pending 4G roll-out.

Made me rethink leaving - hopefully I will be able to snag a good retention deal and stay.

Vodafone can be quite good at retention deals so it might be worth seeing what they can do.

But in terms of new customer/standard price deals, vodafone cannot compete. With 4G they will charge a bolt on yet other networks like Three will not. O2 are yet to announce their plans but i'm guessing they'll be similar to Vodafone as they have confirmed 4G will be a premium.

Voda's 3G network isn't the best even with the cornerstone project between O2/Voda. The best network at the moment is the EE/Three consolidated network run by MBNL. They have 85% DC-HSPA+ coverage at the moment with speeds up to 42Mbps. This is set to increase very soon. Also EE already have 4G and Three won't be charging for 4G. So if you're a data user it's worth considering them. Especially when you can already get speeds like this on 3G-

It's worth noting that Vodafone do not use the version of DC-HSPA+ that MBNL use so users on Voda will see slower speeds and higher pings due to lack of technology, poor backhaul and lack of optimisation.

So I think that for "next gen 4G", Three are the winners with unlimited data/tethering on high speed 3G/4G, with current gen 3G belonging to T-Mobile and their full monty plans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sum Gai
Vodafone can be quite good at retention deals so it might be worth seeing what they can do.

That's good to hear. Ready to ring up a few times anyway, never give up on the first. :wink:

Original post by Sum Gai
But in terms of new customer/standard price deals, vodafone cannot compete. With 4G they will charge a bolt on yet other networks like Three will not. O2 are yet to announce their plans but i'm guessing they'll be similar to Vodafone as they have confirmed 4G will be a premium.

True, their prices in that aspect suck. But one thing about Vodafone appeals to me - their Eurotraveller feature. Just love not having to worry about roaming charges, and yet being able to go nuts with consumption is heavenly when travelling.

AFAIK I don't know of any other networks that have a similar feature, although I could easily be wrong as I haven't really checked...

Original post by Sum Gai
The best network at the moment is the EE/Three consolidated network run by MBNL. They have 85% DC-HSPA+ coverage at the moment with speeds up to 42Mbps. This is set to increase very soon. Also EE already have 4G and Three won't be charging for 4G. So if you're a data user it's worth considering them. Especially when you can already get speeds like this on 3G-

That is quite damn good.

If I do quit VF, I was thinking of moving over to Virgin mobile (being a VMedia customer helps somewhat??), as they use the EE network, as they apparently have better 3G speeds. But will miss the eurotraveller thing.

I won't be getting 4G for a while anyway - as I have a still half-decent android 3G phone. My next phone will be when this one is quite outdated, and that will be a 4G phone.

Until then, I will use my current phone - happy enough with DECENT 3G speeds, as long as I have enough of it. (i.e unlimited lol)

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy grammar and everything, falling asleep in front of the PC right now lol :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
That's good to hear. Ready to ring up a few times anyway, never give up on the first. :wink:

True, their prices in that aspect suck. But one thing about Vodafone appeals to me - their Eurotraveller feature. Just love not having to worry about roaming charges, and yet being able to go nuts with consumption is heavenly when travelling.

AFAIK I don't know of any other networks that have a similar feature, although I could easily be wrong as I haven't really checked...

That is quite damn good.

If I do quit VF, I was thinking of moving over to Virgin mobile (being a VMedia customer helps somewhat??), as they use the EE network, as they apparently have better 3G speeds. But will miss the eurotraveller thing.

I won't be getting 4G for a while anyway - as I have a still half-decent android 3G phone. My next phone will be when this one is quite outdated, and that will be a 4G phone.

Until then, I will use my current phone - happy enough with DECENT 3G speeds, as long as I have enough of it. (i.e unlimited lol)

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy grammar and everything, falling asleep in front of the PC right now lol :biggrin:

Because Vodafone own a lot (and i mean a lot) they can strike up various deals with EU roaming partners and that's allowed them to pretty much kill off any other competitor with their roaming packs. It really is a great deal there and no one other than EE4G (but it's expensive) and their roaming tariffs.

Virgin is a very good choice as a budget provider. Being a MVNO they can move on price and their retention deals are ace. I know people who after three months rang Virgin and negotiated sim only deals with 1000 mins+ and unl data for less than £7pm.

But it is worth baring in mind that Virgin don't offer truly unlimited data. There is a cap of 3.5GB (but it's better than Voda's offering) and they don't officially allow tethering.
Original post by Sum Gai
Because Vodafone own a lot (and i mean a lot) they can strike up various deals with EU roaming partners and that's allowed them to pretty much kill off any other competitor with their roaming packs. It really is a great deal there and no one other than EE4G (but it's expensive) and their roaming tariffs.

Virgin is a very good choice as a budget provider. Being a MVNO they can move on price and their retention deals are ace. I know people who after three months rang Virgin and negotiated sim only deals with 1000 mins+ and unl data for less than £7pm.

But it is worth baring in mind that Virgin don't offer truly unlimited data. There is a cap of 3.5GB (but it's better than Voda's offering) and they don't officially allow tethering.

Yeah, shame about the other networks not having such an arrangement - wish EE had it - then I most probably would move over. Would also be great if Turkey was included in Eurotraveller somehow - regularly travel there too.

The most I data I have ever used in a month was when I went over to a friends house with no internet - ended up using 2.5GB data in 2 days over Vodafone, while tethered. Shhhh! :wink: (BTW data test drive is good, if you know how to keep getting it over and over lol)

3.5GB is plenty, no problem with me. As I said, will probably try and stay with VF; but if they are hell bent on not giving me any half decent deals, will probably move to Virgin. And as you said, I can expect much better data speeds at least??

Thanks for your help, you are quite knowledgeable about this stuff. :smile:
Yeah, shame about the other networks not having such an arrangement - wish EE had it - then I most probably would move over. Would also be great if Turkey was included in Eurotraveller somehow - regularly travel there too.

The most I data I have ever used in a month was when I went over to a friends house with no internet - ended up using 2.5GB data in 2 days over Vodafone, while tethered. Shhhh! :wink: (BTW data test drive is good, if you know how to keep getting it over and over lol)

3.5GB is plenty, no problem with me. As I said, will probably try and stay with VF; but if they are hell bent on not giving me any half decent deals, will probably move to Virgin. And as you said, I can expect much better data speeds at least??

Thanks for your help, you are quite knowledgeable about this stuff. :smile:

Yep, data speeds will be similar to what EE/Three get. What's great about Virgin is that their prices are low, tariffs are great, and you're only tied in for one month.

How do you get test drive every month? I want to know the secret :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending