The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by davidhoughton
whats the date of this exam?

Right now it's 19th June, but this date could change.
Reply 761
Original post by reneetaylor
How do photodegradeable polymers operate?

Photodegrable polymers are synthetic polymers and are resistant when exposed in sunlight for a pre-longed period of time. They contain a carbonyl group (functional group) within the backbone and they absorb light energy/sun light which results in the polymer being broken down into smaller fragments.
Original post by otrivine
Photodegrable polymers are synthetic polymers and are resistant when exposed in sunlight for a pre-longed period of time. They contain a carbonyl group (functional group) within the backbone and they absorb light energy/sun light which results in the polymer being broken down into smaller fragments.

Correct, nicely put :smile:
Reply 763
Correct, nicely put :smile:

thanks !

Describe what the peaks represent in a carbon-13 spectrum (1)
thanks !

Describe what the peaks represent in a carbon-13 spectrum (1)

A carbon environment. No. of peaks = no of different carbon environments.
Reply 765
Original post by Natalie21
A carbon environment. No. of peaks = no of different carbon environments.

yes correct.

my turn :smile:
I'm back now, can I join in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MasterYi
Can someone expalin to me the meaning of mobile phase and stationary phase. I 've seen a couple of vagues definitions and I'm not sure what to use as a go to definition.

The stationary phase is where molecules from the samples can adsorb to, it can be a solid or a liquid supported on a solid, silica gel is an example of a stationary phase.

The mobile phase is either a liquid or gas, which brings the samples with it as it travels up the stationary phase.
Reply 768
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm back now, can I join in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow!! you came :biggrin:

ask me
wow!! you came :biggrin:

ask me

Well I did say I would come back once I'm more confident with the content, so here I am and okay, start off easy then.

Show the mechanism of halogenation to the benzene ring in diagrams and explain why a halogen carrier is needed. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 770
Well I did say I would come back once I'm more confident with the content, so here I am and okay, start off easy then.

Show the mechanism of halogenation to the benzene ring in diagrams and explain why a halogen carrier is needed. (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you want me to draw it in paper?

Halogen carrier is needed because benzene is stable and has a lower pie electron density and therefore there is less polarisation of halogenation and therefore, a halogen carrier is needed.
Reply 771
The stationary phase is where molecules from the samples can adsorb to, it can be a solid or a liquid supported on a solid, silica gel is an example of a stationary phase.

The mobile phase is either a liquid or gas, which brings the samples with it as it travels up the stationary phase.

Thanks. :biggrin: Can't even give you a thumbs up because I've given too many to you already.
do you want me to draw it in paper?

Halogen carrier is needed because benzene is stable and has a lower pie electron density and therefore there is less polarisation of halogenation and therefore, a halogen carrier is needed.

Yeah if you wouldn't mind and that's correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. :biggrin: Can't even give you a thumbs up because I've given too many to you already.

Haha, thanks!
No problem, glad I helped :smile:
here, mechanism

Correct, now my turn :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 775
Correct, now my turn :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Describe in words the mechanism of Nucleophilic Addition (4)
Reply 776

Hi want to join :smile:
Describe in words the mechanism of Nucleophilic Addition (4)

Okay well it occurs in aldehydes and ketones when they react with sodium borohydride and okay the electron deficient carbon atom in the polar C=O bond is attacked by the OH-. The lone pair of electrons forms a bond with the carbon atom and at the same time the pi bond breaks to produce a negatively charged intermediate. This then donates an electron pair to a hydrogen atom from a water molecule to for a dative covalent bond and a OH- ion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 778
Okay well it occurs in aldehydes and ketones when they react with sodium borohydride and okay the electron deficient carbon atom in the polar C=O bond is attacked by the OH-. The lone pair of electrons forms a bond with the carbon atom and at the same time the pi bond breaks to produce a negatively charged intermediate. This then donates an electron pair to a hydrogen atom from a water molecule to for a dative covalent bond and a OH- ion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect!

my turn
Perfect!

my turn

Okay, explain how you'd be able to distinguish between a ketone, aldehyde and carboxylic acid (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending