The Student Room Group

Chemistry Degree Questions

Hi, I was wondering what careers pathways you could go into with a chemistry degree?
I am looking into doing a chemistry degree as the career prospects well paid or would a chemical engineering degree or biochemistry be a better option?

The a-levels I am defiantly doing are maths, chemistry & biology so have a fourth to play with

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Peace&Love
Hi, I was wondering what careers pathways you could go into with a chemistry degree?
I am looking into doing a chemistry degree as the career prospects well paid or would a chemical engineering degree or biochemistry be a better option?

The a-levels I am defiantly doing are maths, chemistry & biology so have a fourth to play with

Thanks

The transferable skills you learn by doing a chemistry degree will be useful for many careers. Most graduate schemes simply ask for a 2.1 or higher in any degree so there will be many options open to you with a chemistry degree :smile:

That said, you should still choose the subject you prefer and think you would do best in. People who choose a subject they enjoy as opposed to one they think will get them a good job will perform much better and will be more likely to get a better grade :biggrin:

So, in short choose the subject you think you would prefer, not the one you think would have better career prospects :biggrin:
Reply 2
Just out of interest, are you or any of your friends looking to do a masters in Intellectual Property Law?

Regards,
Chohan
Reply 3
There are lots of different routes, in the science industry such as working for Defence Science and Technology labs, Unilever etc; graduate schemes for general jobs look highly at science graduates; teaching; further education such as medicine or law conversions - again science graduates are always looked at highly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ah :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking to do in terms of jobs?
Reply 5
Original post by edchem
There are lots of different routes, in the science industry such as working for Defence Science and Technology labs, Unilever etc; graduate schemes for general jobs look highly at science graduates; teaching; further education such as medicine or law conversions - again science graduates are always looked at highly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed,

I'm assuming you are studying or have studied Chemistry at university? How was it and what was included? Where did you study it?

I am interested in possibly pursuing one and would just like some background knowledge from people who have had first hand experience :smile:

Regards,
Chohan
Reply 6
Currently studying a chemistry degree at University of Birmingham - Absolutely love it, and find it very interesting. Planning on doing teaching afterwards. My course is 1/4-1/3 labs and the rest clearly pure elements of chemistry alongside some optionally modules. I hope that answered all your questions. I can understand thinking about whether to do chem or chemeng, and I think it depends entirely on your own thoughts, I'd say for my uni the courses are very separate but other unis (such as aston) the courses overlap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Where do you have an offer? Hoe much experience did you get in a school prior to applying and was it difficult to get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ah sounds good!

If I was to do Chemistry, I would probably go onto doing a MSc in Petroleum Engineering or a Masters in Intellectual Property Law :smile:

Good luck with whatever you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending