The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Pretty cracking anyway; best for a while
Other Rose hint was the whole 'if the world ends in 1983 what happens to me'?
Original post by Dragonrage973
Yeah it was much much better and it had some really good suspense moments. Yet somehow there was something missing. The plot was slightly too predictable. It wasn't bad though.

It was an ok episode and was ruined by yet another terrible ending and this currently seems to be a big problem in Doctor Who.There were two problems in the ending:The Ice Warrior ship didn't attack the Submarine even though "Earth was declared as forfeit because they attacked an Ice Warrior", the Ice Warriors picking up Skaldak right at that moment was used too much to save the day and was too convenient and the nuclear missiles were disarmed by the Doctor far too easily.I would have wrote a much better ending with the Doctor sonicing the armour of Skaldak and then the Ice Warrior being beamed up then we would see the Ice Warrior ship and Skaldak informing them of how they attacked him and the Ice Warriors would prepare to fire on the submarine and declare war on Earth and fire a couple of shots but then the head Ice Warrior would realise that he had dishonored the Ice Warriors and stop the attack and blow up the Submarine after realising the humans were attacking an Ice Warrior who had dishonored them and then praise the humans, a much more exciting and better ending.
Hmmm, I quite enjoyed that, although I'm not sure about the end of the threat - what happened to the old Ice Warrior "harm one of us and you harm all of us, your life must be forfeit" stuff? Why did they show mercy?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Hmmm, I quite enjoyed that, although I'm not sure about the end of the threat - what happened to the old Ice Warrior "harm one of us and you harm all of us, your life must be forfeit" stuff? Why did they show mercy?

Maybe it was a random act of kindness?
There have been random acts of kindness throughout Doctor Who because I believe David Tennant said at one point to someone "Once in a while you let one go" or am I think of something else entirely?

EDIT:
Sorry, I just realised it was Christopher Eccleston who said that to that Slitheen woman!
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought that was one of the worst episodes for a while. There wasn't much to the storyline and the characters seemed really flat, particularly Clara. For the first time, she bored me.

Edit: Given some of the positive comments on this thread and the fact that I've been awake for over 40 hours, I may re-watch the episode tomorrow and hope to come to a better conclusion. ;-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Wasn't hugely keen on episode, seemed a bit re-hashed and done it all before.
Better episode but I wanted less rubbishiness from it. I'm pretty disappointed at the rather ridiculously kind naturedness of the Ice Warriors and also clara bragging about "We Saved the world, it's what we do." No, you didn't Clara if that ship hadn't turned up the world would've been blown up, you were unrealistically fortunate that the Ice Warriors ship arrived. However that isn't the worst of the ridiculously silly nature of the unrealism in this episode - the Ice Warrior who had declared this planet forfeit and the ice warrior code permitted him to blow up for attacking him suddenly decides for absolutely no reason except the doctor asking him to - I mean the Doctor is awesome but this is stretching is power to manipulate creatures to the point he might as well just feature in two minutes episodes featuring a monster and him going to "don't do that" and the monster going "Yeah, fine whatever you say doctor" - this is beyond believability. You may argue that everything in Doctor Who is beyond believability as it's fiction, you have a point if you're pretty thick. Everything in Doctor Who is unrealistic but explained within the Doctor Who universe and there's normally no stretching of believability. I forgave the TARDIS not translating the creatures last week s it could say something important about the tardis and Clara's relationship but this week it's letting her speak perfect Russian. Come on.
Original post by The Mad Dog
Better episode but I wanted less rubbishiness from it. I'm pretty disappointed at the rather ridiculously kind naturedness of the Ice Warriors and also clara bragging about "We Saved the world, it's what we do." No, you didn't Clara if that ship hadn't turned up the world would've been blown up, you were unrealistically fortunate that the Ice Warriors ship arrived. However that isn't the worst of the ridiculously silly nature of the unrealism in this episode - the Ice Warrior who had declared this planet forfeit and the ice warrior code permitted him to blow up for attacking him suddenly decides for absolutely no reason except the doctor asking him to - I mean the Doctor is awesome but this is stretching is power to manipulate creatures to the point he might as well just feature in two minutes episodes featuring a monster and him going to "don't do that" and the monster going "Yeah, fine whatever you say doctor" - this is beyond believability. You may argue that everything in Doctor Who is beyond believability as it's fiction, you have a point if you're pretty thick. Everything in Doctor Who is unrealistic but explained within the Doctor Who universe and there's normally no stretching of believability. I forgave the TARDIS not translating the creatures last week s it could say something important about the tardis and Clara's relationship but this week it's letting her speak perfect Russian. Come on.

I can't remember Skaldak giving into the Doctor's demands:confused:-he was slightly hesitant I'll give you that but he was going to blow up everyone with a nuclear missile if the Ice Warriors hadn't turned up and the Doctor had to deactivate the missile, which was far too easy to do.
Original post by YouGotSerbed
Was anyone else thinking "Why did Clara have to get a jacket after the opening scene?" :colonhash:

Glad I wasn't the only one! Feeling ashamed of myself! :colondollar:
Original post by FrogInABog
Glad I wasn't the only one! Feeling ashamed of myself! :colondollar:

You have no need to! I'm sure it was deliberately done.

I've noticed she tends to wear less revealing clothing than Amy Pond did, but maybe that was Jenna's request.
You dirty people, this is a family show! DX
I thought I'd been ever so clever in spotting the wolf thing :p:

I enjoyed that much more than I thought I was going to. The ending was flawed, but I thought it was much better put together than last week's, with more of a story line and much stronger characters. Clara isn't quite working for me yet - JLC doesn't seem quite comfortable in the character yet, or maybe it's to do with the whole 'Clara mystery'...
Original post by YouGotSerbed
You have no need to! I'm sure it was deliberately done.

I've noticed she tends to wear less revealing clothing than Amy Pond did, but maybe that was Jenna's request.

Spoil sport! :tongue:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2319693

Please offer your thoughts :smile:
Original post by Dragonrage973
Did anyone else pick up on the Rose hints? The song Hungry like the WOLF

This has made me so excited!
Wow that theory is amazing
Original post by Dalek1099
I can't remember Skaldak giving into the Doctor's demands:confused:-he was slightly hesitant I'll give you that but he was going to blow up everyone with a nuclear missile if the Ice Warriors hadn't turned up and the Doctor had to deactivate the missile, which was far too easy to do.

Unrealistically easy. So unrealistically easy I assumed it had been the doctor attempting to deactivate the missile but Skaldak stopping it from the line "Please Skaldak show some mercy" line before he started trying too deactivate it. I must of got completely the wrong end of the stick.
I thought this week's episode was ok, but it wasn't great. One of the (admittedly stupid) things that put me off was the accents of the crew. It's ridiculous because accents have never really thrown me when watching Doctor Who before (Cockney market trader in Pompeii anyone?), but why set it on a Soviet sub and have the crew speak with British accents?

Original post by greeneyedgirl
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/04/10/greatest-tv-couple-of-all-time-final/

Blaine and Kurt vs The Doctor and Rose, whose love in stronger...no contest I'm sure we'll all agree!

Klaine ftw. :ninja:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Other Rose hint was the whole 'if the world ends in 1983 what happens to me'?

I realized this because I was rolling my eyes thinking 'Hasn't this been explained before'. However I didn't pick up on the other hint.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest