The Student Room Group

TSR Entrepreneurs Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How many of you use Twitter / LinkedIn? And what do you normally use it for?

Found this pretty neat one-page CV creator. Worth checking out: http://enthuse.me :smile:
Original post by Vulpes

Found this pretty neat one-page CV creator. Worth checking out: http://enthuse.me :smile:

I use twitter and I have a page on LinkedIn but I don't use it.

I have all of my social media pages on private because I had been applying for some jobs lately, and I didn't want the employers taking a look :wink:

I like the idea of LinkedIn, and I will start using it (properly) soon.
Reply 22
Original post by Runninground
I use twitter and I have a page on LinkedIn but I don't use it.

I have all of my social media pages on private because I had been applying for some jobs lately, and I didn't want the employers taking a look :wink:

Ah I see.

Recently I've started posting more serious content on Twitter, such as articles that interest me and basically trying to build up a more professional image of myself there.

Only thing I dislike about Linkedin is that it allows people to see if you've looked at their profile. It makes sense, but does get a little annoying when you're trying to find out more about a person before hiring them without giving off the impression that you're interested in working with them by having your name show up in their Viewed Profile Notifications.
Original post by Vulpes

Only thing I dislike about Linkedin is that it allows people to see if you've looked at their profile. It makes sense, but does get a little annoying when you're trying to find out more about a person before hiring them without giving off the impression that you're interested in working with them by having your name show up in their Viewed Profile Notifications.

Really??

I looked up the person who was interviewing me about 10 times :colondollar: Does it still show up, even if your profile is 'private'? (I privatised (?) my profile on Linkedin as I didn't want it showing just yet)
Reply 24
Really??

I looked up the person who was interviewing me about 10 times :colondollar: Does it still show up, even if your profile is 'private'? (I privatised (?) my profile on Linkedin as I didn't want it showing just yet)

Yea. At the very least, it will say "Someone from <Your previous workplace / location> has seen your profile."

I've heard that some companies look through their list of interviewees to check whether or not they've looked at the company Linkedin page before the interview. Shows that they've put in the effort to look for more information about the company.
Original post by Vulpes

I use Twitter. In fact, I started following you a few weeks ago and you follow me, I think. I don't really post a whole lot on there. If I wanted to present a more professional image I'd probably delete most of my current tweets or create a completely new profile. Never used LinkedIn.
Reply 26
Original post by TheMagicRat
I use Twitter. In fact, I started following you a few weeks ago and you follow me, I think. I don't really post a whole lot on there. If I wanted to present a more professional image I'd probably delete most of my current tweets or create a completely new profile. Never used LinkedIn.

Ah yep you did, and likewise. :yep:

I went over all my tweets a few days ago after reading this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22083032

Not the first time something similar has happened, but it does serve as a reminder that you should be careful about posting anything online, especially on places such as social networks. *cough* TSR *cough* :tongue:
I've read stories of times when people have had interviews and the interviewer has suddenly started using the computer and typing a lot. Once the interviewee gets the job they ask why they suddenly started using the computer, and it ends up that the interviewer has been googling them during the interview to check whether what they are telling them is true!
Reply 28
Great idea for a thread, vulpes. I'll be around :smile:
Reply 29
What do you guys think of a paid beta? http://bryanhelmig.com/bootstrapping-an-idea-the-paid-beta/

The mechanics are incredibly simple:

- You mock out a simple product or even just a promise.
- You let people make small, flat payments (think $1 to $5) for access and in return you continue building out core product features.
- Over time, the product will grow under the proper evolutionary pressure of what users will pay for.

I find this idea quite intriguing, something I might actually test out over the summer. :holmes:
Unsure if this goes down as being an "entrepreneur", but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I have a website (www.richlandf1.com) which has been going for just over one year now. It's been doing well, good stats and achieving some good feats. However, I was wondering if any of you have any advice about making money from websites and web-based ventures?
Great thread ! Are any of you budding entrepreneurs been able to find capital to start your a proper venture ... It's almost impossible for young entrepreneurs to gain finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by MrLuketastic
Unsure if this goes down as being an "entrepreneur", but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I have a website (www.richlandf1.com) which has been going for just over one year now. It's been doing well, good stats and achieving some good feats. However, I was wondering if any of you have any advice about making money from websites and web-based ventures?

Hmm... I'm into web based ventures myself. What kind of stats are you talking about here? :holmes:

Your site seems to be going well. Though perhaps the design can be updated a little, in my opinion (lose the borders and make it slightly more minimalistic). I noticed that none of your ads seem to have tracking links tagged onto them. Are you actually getting any money from those ads? cause if not, they really shouldn't be there.
Reply 33
Original post by CameronLee
Great thread ! Are any of you budding entrepreneurs been able to find capital to start your a proper venture ... It's almost impossible for young entrepreneurs to gain finance

My university (sheffield) offers funding of up to £1000 for startups. It really isn't much so I didn't apply for it. I know that other universities occasionally organise meetings with VCs and have pitching events. Startup weekends and accelerators are really good too.

I'm just trying to get into as many networking events as possible, build connections and hopefully get to meet some people interested in my idea. :smile:

Yourself?
Original post by Vulpes
My university (sheffield) offers funding of up to £1000 for startups. It really isn't much so I didn't apply for it. I know that other universities occasionally organise meetings with VCs and have pitching events. Startup weekends and accelerators are really good too.

I'm just trying to get into as many networking events as possible, build connections and hopefully get to meet some people interested in my idea. :smile:

Yourself?

Well it's not really as business as such - I'm trading currencies. However I have spotted a gap in the market for beginners to learn to trade, and hope to develop a mobile / ipad app to help people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by CameronLee
Well it's not really as business as such - I'm trading currencies. However I have spotted a gap in the market for beginners to learn to trade, and hope to develop a mobile / ipad app to help people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a mac? :curious:
Original post by Vulpes
Do you have a mac? :curious:

I have both windows and mac :smile: mainly because a programme I use called esignal is not compatible with mac

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vulpes
Hmm... I'm into web based ventures myself. What kind of stats are you talking about here? :holmes:

Your site seems to be going well. Though perhaps the design can be updated a little, in my opinion (lose the borders and make it slightly more minimalistic). I noticed that none of your ads seem to have tracking links tagged onto them. Are you actually getting any money from those ads? cause if not, they really shouldn't be there.

:holmes:

Yeah, I need to play around with the design a bit, so will look into that. The ads are with partners. So with the watch company, they've given us £300 worth of watches; we do competitions and link ups with the merchandise company; the #F1POTD one promotes our work. I'm certainly looking into making them more profitable though.

Is there a "right way" to attract potential advertisers? And is there a "going rate"? Any advice would be appreciated!
I think the most important thing in starting a business is having the confidence to do it. That's where my downfall is. Having the initial confidence to tell people about it, start the ball rolling. You can do as much preparation as you like but you won't get anywhere without confidence.

And the only way you know if you have the confidence is when the time comes- when you've done everything you possible can to prepare and the next step is to send out the leaflets, tell your family/ friends or spend money on it. I thought I had the confidence to do it, but when I came to that point I worried about what people might think of it, what if it fails etc...

But I still think you can do anything if you put your mind to it, you just have to push yourself through the tough and challenging parts.

This is so true! :h:

The hardest part is definitely the changover from preparation to going out there and seeing if it actually takes off. It's just a fear of failure, and it's the same reason we don't chat up everyone we want to.

I do consultancy, and I have to literally cold approach people in their businesses seeing as I'm so young and working alone. Rejections are useful, you learn something every time, and after 10 rejections you're guaranteed to get your first piece of work if you've got something good. I think I got turned down at my first 7 places and nearly didn't even go into the 8th - which is where it all took off from.

Anyway this is a fun idea for a society and will subscribe. I've been self earning for a while now but it's actually starting to wear thin for me, too sporadic in the current state of things and a stable work place would actually be quite nice. I just can't handle getting paid so low if I did go back into part time work :lol:
Reply 39
Good idea, joining this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending