The Student Room Group

Hoovering up flys?

Poll

Will the flys be killed?

Hey. So, my flat is a tip. There's loads of bin bags and food about and there are lots of flys. One of the flat mates took one on her way out this evening. She won't be back until tomorrow and none of us want to get dressed and take the rest out.

We've hoovered up over 20 and there are some left. The question is, will the flys die because of heat and pressure etc, or will they fly back out? It is a standard Henry hoover. nothing fancy. It would be devastating if we got up and the kitchen was full of flys again, as it's actually quite a lot of effort running about with a hoover and very frustrating when they fly away. I've also worried the same when hoovering up spiders, but usually as only one or two are hoovered at a time, we haven't noticed.

Note: I am aware that we are disgusting and lazy. We're also quite disappointed that this is how we're spending our evening.
If there is rubbish about the flies will come back. You will only hoover up some flies, some of which will fly out. I know spiders and carpet beetles escape back out the hoover. Just do a super-M. Bison-style tidy up NOW. Get drunk if you must.
Reply 2
I mistook what you wrote as saying that your flat mate took one of the flies out with her and imagined the rest jealously flapping around waiting for you guys to get dressed...

ANYWAY. I have had this thought several times, when my brother goes bug-bustering with our henry, we cover the nozzle up with duct tape just in case. But after doing some googling I can promise you they're not going to be getting out, if the process of being sucked up doesn't kill them they suffocate in all the fuzzy hair/skin/food particles.
Reply 3
Empty the hoover outside then -_-

It's not rocket science.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
Empty the hoover outside then -_-

It's not rocket science.

If we went to the effort of empty the hoover out outside we'd just take the bins out :wink:
Original post by beckaroo7
Hey. So, my flat is a tip. There's loads of bin bags and food about and there are lots of flys. One of the flat mates took one on her way out this evening. She won't be back until tomorrow and none of us want to get dressed and take the rest out.

We've hoovered up over 20 and there are some left. The question is, will the flys die because of heat and pressure etc, or will they fly back out? It is a standard Henry hoover. nothing fancy. It would be devastating if we got up and the kitchen was full of flys again, as it's actually quite a lot of effort running about with a hoover and very frustrating when they fly away. I've also worried the same when hoovering up spiders, but usually as only one or two are hoovered at a time, we haven't noticed.

Note: I am aware that we are disgusting and lazy. We're also quite disappointed that this is how we're spending our evening.
Understatement. :dong:
I'm no 'Bugs have rights' kinda guy, but this was somehow one of the cruellest ideas I've ever seen on TSR.
:noway:

That is pretty gross, not gonna lie. But yes, hoovering them up will probably get rid of them. For now. Until the next lot smell the stench of your flat and make it their home once again. Not to mention if any of the flies have laid eggs anywhere. Nothing like an infestation of maggots. Lovely.

You're only going to get rid of the problem by being cleaner, God forbid taking out your rubbish and cleaning up your food. I thought my flatmates were pretty bad at being clean and tidy but I now have some faith in them. We've never had a fly enter our kitchen. I am counting my blessings.

:goodluck:
Reply 8
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm no 'Bugs have rights' kinda guy, but this was somehow one of the cruellest ideas I've ever seen on TSR.

Oh they're only flys :smile:

Update: My flat mate is now spraying them with flash. Cleaning and taking out the flies in one go.
Original post by beckaroo7
Oh they're only flys :smile:

Update: My flat mate is now spraying them with flash. Cleaning and taking out the flies in one go.

I can just hear them saying this :s-smilie:

Seriously you guys are a bit odd. Surely less effort to just bin bag it up?
Reply 10
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I can just hear them saying this :s-smilie:

Seriously you guys are a bit odd. Surely less effort to just bin bag it up?

This actually made me laugh out loud :smile: That really is what it feels like when they move at the last second once they're settled. Speedy little things they are
Clean up your life OP. Awful creature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending