The Student Room Group

I dont know what to take I NEED HELP

These are the range of subjects I know I will choose from - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English literature and Religious studies. I don't really like any subject. However, i do find aspects of physics interesting.
I'm not really sure of what i wanna study, but for now I'm kind of interested in engineering and pharmacy.
I am also not really sure whether I should take maths or not because I am really scared I will fail, but that being said I will put in hard work when I do my a levels but I do have a tendency to be quite lazy.
My grades in these subjects so far are :
Maths - A (edexcel)
Chemistry - A (aqa triple science)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*
So to conclude my question is what should I take for a level? and do you think I should take maths?
Id like honest opinions please!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unique_freak
These are the range of subjects I know I will choose from - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English literature and Religious studies. I don't really like any subject. However, i do find aspects of physics interesting.
I'm not really sure of what i wanna study, but for now I'm kind of interested in engineering and pharmacy.
I am also not really sure whether I should take maths or not because I am really scared I will fail, but that being said I will put in hard work when I do my a levels but I do have a tendency to be quite lazy.
Maths - A (edexcel)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*
So to conclude my question is what should I take for a level? and do you think I should take maths?

I would say if you're undecided, out of all of these, you should take Maths. Maths will keep your options open as it is widely sought after. I'd personally advise chemistry and physics as well because they're awesome :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by SheldonWannabe
I would say if you're undecided, out of all of these, you should take Maths. Maths will keep your options open as it is widely sought after. I'd personally advise chemistry and physics as well because they're awesome :wink:

but the question is am i good enough to take a level maths???:confused::redface: Thats also what I need help with because im really scared I will struggle so badly and end up getting a E or something
but the question is am i good enough to take a level maths???:confused::redface: Thats also what I need help with because im really scared I will struggle so badly and end up getting a E or something

If you're getting A's at GCSE, you'll be fine.
I think if you're willing to put the effort in, A Level maths isn't all that difficult.
Reply 4
Original post by SheldonWannabe
If you're getting A's at GCSE, you'll be fine.
I think if you're willing to put the effort in, A Level maths isn't all that difficult.

still not sure, but thanks anyways
Maths - A (edexcel)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*

What subjects will you need to gain entry into engineering or pharmacology? What grades are expected, and are you confident you can achieve them? These are the questions I would ask in your shoes. If you are not confident about Maths (even though you got an A), don't do it unless it's essential to gain entry to a course you want to do.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Pastaferian
What subjects will you need to gain entry into engineering or pharmacology? What grades are expected, and are you confident you can achieve them? These are the questions I would ask in your shoes. If you are not confident about Maths (even though you got an A), don't do it unless it's essential to gain entry to a course you want to do.

Good luck!

To do pharmacy you need chemistry,biology and maths or physics. For engineering maths and physics are compulsory.
Im expexcted the same grades im at right now, but Im kinda confident I can get an A* in all of them as I dont really find any of them hard.
I am not sure I want to do pharmacy or engeneering, Im still partially considering law, just that the unemployment rate is quite daunting
To do pharmacy you need chemistry,biology and maths or physics. For engineering maths and physics are compulsory.
Im expexcted the same grades im at right now, but Im kinda confident I can get an A* in all of them as I dont really find any of them hard.
I am not sure I want to do pharmacy or engeneering, Im still partially considering law, just that the unemployment rate is quite daunting

OK, I'm a little confused now - you've gone from fear of failing maths to expecting an A*... perhaps this thread is boosting your confidence, lol :smile:

But seriously, you haven't made you mind up yet about A levels and beyond, and that's fine. If you do Chem, Phy, Biol and Maths at AS, you can drop one after Y12, focus on the other 3, and apply for pharmacology or engineering. I don't know the requirements for law either, but my impression is that they are more flexible about the AS/A2s they will accept. Just to add to your options, you have the right academic background for my own subject (medicine) - chemistry, either biology or maths and a third A2 would get you into most med schools, if you achieve AAA or better at A2.
Maths - A (edexcel)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*

Sciences and the mighty
Reply 9
Maths, Further maths, Additional further maths & Art
If you're taking physics take maths as well, they go so well together and if you're getting A/A* at GCSE you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 11
OK, I'm a little confused now - you've gone from fear of failing maths to expecting an A*... perhaps this thread is boosting your confidence, lol :smile:

But seriously, you haven't made you mind up yet about A levels and beyond, and that's fine. If you do Chem, Phy, Biol and Maths at AS, you can drop one after Y12, focus on the other 3, and apply for pharmacology or engineering. I don't know the requirements for law either, but my impression is that they are more flexible about the AS/A2s they will accept. Just to add to your options, you have the right academic background for my own subject (medicine) - chemistry, either biology or maths and a third A2 would get you into most med schools, if you achieve AAA or better at A2.
haha no confidence boost. I dont find gcse that hard, but everyone out the massive jump from gcse to a level and thats where i get scared & thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by Rob da Mop
If you're taking physics take maths as well, they go so well together and if you're getting A/A* at GCSE you'll be fine :smile:

okay thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone taking physics and/or maths and/or chemistry and/or biology could you tell me how hard it is please
Reply 14
Definitely maths, and then chem and phy would keep your doors open and then one more that you think you would enjoy the most
Reply 15
Anyone taking physics and/or maths and/or chemistry and/or biology could you tell me how hard it is please

If you have a mathematical brain then physics and maths are relatively easy. Biology is a lot of remembering so you need a good memory and cor me chemistry is really tricky. But it's soo subjective, its different for everyone. A lot of people think chemistry is the hardest and anyone who enjoys maths says it's easy but others will completely disagree
Reply 16
Original post by GoodDay
If you have a mathematical brain then physics and maths are relatively easy. Biology is a lot of remembering so you need a good memory and cor me chemistry is really tricky. But it's soo subjective, its different for everyone. A lot of people think chemistry is the hardest and anyone who enjoys maths says it's easy but others will completely disagree

not really sure if i have a mathmetical brain, im good at remembering stuff & what makes chemistry so hard

You're taking a step up from GCSE to AS/A2 - no doubt about that. But you have fewer subjects to focus on, and none of the distractions of other subjects which you may not have liked and/or may have struggled with. A level Maths is straightforwards if you were OK with GCSE Maths, Chemistry requires you to remember patterns and rules and apply them logically, and Biology requires you to understand systems and cycles (and remember lots of strange names).
Reply 18
You're taking a step up from GCSE to AS/A2 - no doubt about that. But you have fewer subjects to focus on, and none of the distractions of other subjects which you may not have liked and/or may have struggled with. A level Maths is straightforwards if you were OK with GCSE Maths, Chemistry requires you to remember patterns and rules and apply them logically, and Biology requires you to understand systems and cycles (and remember lots of strange names).

with a level maths I heard that if you are not a genius then dont take it , id like to get all a's in my a levels and but if i were to take maths would that be the case considering i am not a genius at it
with a level maths I heard that if you are not a genius then dont take it , id like to get all a's in my a levels and but if i were to take maths would that be the case considering i am not a genius at it

Did you hear that from mathematicians or from people who don't like maths? It's hard for me to answer based on my own experience... I got a GCSE A* and I'm expecting an A/A* at A2.

If you drop maths, you are ruling out uni courses and careers that you've expressed an interest in. If you do maths, you may not enjoy it, and you may struggle to get a good grade (i.e., good enough for a future uni course). That's a tough choice. You'll have to decide the weightings yourself, but I'd say you should drop maths if you are having serious doubts about it.

Quick Reply

Latest