The Student Room Group

Security Council Elections

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dj_macky
Yes, you did but MUN is very different from the real-life UN and actual world issues it faces. The UN debates and acts, MUN only debates, so there's no need to copy everything from a UN perspective as it's not practical on TSR.

I think for the MUN like the MHoC, stimulating debates and active membership is more the priority which is a far different objective of the UN like fighting AIDS, distributing food, peace-keepers, etc.

So, there really is no need for permanent Security Council members, and elected members on TSR to be hell-bent on emulating every aspect of a model that clearly does not fit! That's why I didn't run.

My preference on the composition of the TSR's MUN Security Council is to have a seat allocated to each bloc/continent, and representatives of states in that continent need to contest regional elections to select a unified representative for a given term.

We all know that America is more powerful that Venezuela in real life. But not necessarily on TSR...no army, no money, no budget, no electorate, nothing to lose other than dedicated time on a PC.

So, please let's re-think the structure that works for us and facilitate debate rather than blindly copying an inspiring model that does not work for the TSR version.

...good luck to the candidates though!

Well, actually, yes necessarily. We play the role of a representative for our country, so our MUN country has exactly the same resources as our real-life counterparts.

I agree that there's no point having a closed Security Council like we do now in the MUN, because it blocks the rest of us off from (passively, at least) participating in SC debate.
Reply 21
Original post by Qwertish
We play the role of a representative for our country, so our MUN country has exactly the same resources as our real-life counterparts.

...if that's the case, I take it that you have the ability to impose sanctions, and provide real aid to other nations (not just 'make-believe' statements!).
Reply 22
...if that's the case, I take it that you have the ability to impose sanctions, and provide real aid to other nations (not just 'make-believe' statements!).

Well, it's make-believe, but it's a role play thing :tongue:. Like, I can have a resolution that says "Australia sends a **** tonne of aid to Nigeria", if I wanted to. Then we'd all debate the merits of sending a **** tonne of aid to Nigeria. It doesn't happen because it's boring :tongue:

What I meant by my post was; if America is more powerful than Venezuela IRL, it's more powerful in TSR-universe as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Well, actually, yes necessarily. We play the role of a representative for our country, so our MUN country has exactly the same resources as our real-life counterparts.

I agree that there's no point having a closed Security Council like we do now in the MUN, because it blocks the rest of us off from (passively, at least) participating in SC debate.

Dont worry bugger all goes on in the SC forum :wink:
Original post by Moleman1996
What do all of the candidates feel they bring to the SC that is unique? And I know its already been answered in part, but how exactly would they attempt to reorganise the SC? E.g. would African representative be permanent or replaced by another african nation after a period of time etc

The Swiss Confederation will bring a neutral voice to the SC. Currently, there is antagonism rightfully or wrongly between the members themselves and or between the General Assembly. By having a neutral voice, we will have the basis for increased relations for countries and greater problem solving for various nations.

The Swiss Confederation believes that new SC member states should stay permanently, if they make improvements that help their own people e.g.: Increasing LGBT rights. However, rotating between nations after a period of time is a viable option as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
To all candidates: how will you represent all the countries in your area, as there is undoubtedly a wide range of political views in each country, let alone across a group of countries?

For the Swiss Confederation, having Democracies at the forefront of Europe somewhat makes it easier to represent them. Nonetheless, having a neutral voice that allows our populace to act freely within the boundaries of our nation is sure to influence others. We shall represent our fellow nations by concentration of problem solving, hopefully as a market force, the Confederation can use that to influence on how countries can improve. Our influence is widespread, we hope to widen it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Vionar
To all candidates: how will you represent all the countries in your area, as there is undoubtedly a wide range of political views in each country, let alone across a group of countries?

Sorry, missed this!

Australia is one of the most influential states in Oceania. We have strong trading ties with all Oceanic countries, as well as many more in the western Pacific. It is in our own best interests that the needs of this area are met, and so we will strive to ensure that we represent everyone. We already hold weekly meetings with the ambassadors of our most important neighbours, and if we are elected to the Security Council we will host group sessions, with all representatives in one room together, to discuss important issues.
Reply 27
The poll is now up.

The two candidate nations with the highest votes will be elected. Feel free to keep asking questions as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by PierceBrosnan
For the Swiss Confederation, having Democracies at the forefront of Europe somewhat makes it easier to represent them. Nonetheless, having a neutral voice that allows our populace to act freely within the boundaries of our nation is sure to influence others. We shall represent our fellow nations by concentration of problem solving, hopefully as a market force, the Confederation can use that to influence on how countries can improve. Our influence is widespread, we hope to widen it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, missed this!

Australia is one of the most influential states in Oceania. We have strong trading ties with all Oceanic countries, as well as many more in the western Pacific. It is in our own best interests that the needs of this area are met, and so we will strive to ensure that we represent everyone. We already hold weekly meetings with the ambassadors of our most important neighbours, and if we are elected to the Security Council we will host group sessions, with all representatives in one room together, to discuss important issues.

Thanks both of you for the answers! I will definitely be taking these into consideration when voting.
Reply 29
Original post by Birchington
Fell free to keep asking questions as well.

Apologies in advance for being pretty damn pedantic but nations have gone to war due mis-communication! On that note, there's a huge difference between 'feel' and 'fell', even in our make-believe world!
Reply 30
Please unmask RON! I'd like to know who s/he represents!!!
Reply 31
Apologies in advance for being pretty damn pedantic but nations have gone to war due mis-communication! On that note, there's a huge difference between 'feel' and 'fell', even in our make-believe world!
Spelling mistakes occasionally happen, I'm only human :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by Birchington
Spelling mistakes occasionally happen, I'm only human :wink:

If you were a ROBOT, I would have voted for you as the Leader of the Free World!
Voted! I am considering running for this next time (when I haven't got the stress that is exams) :smile:. Interesting candidates, but whoever wins, I am sure that they will do an excellent job as a non-permanent member of the security council :biggrin:.
Reply 34
The UK has voted. Best of luck to all other candidates.
Birchington
QFA
Since i rep two countries does NZ get a vote or is my vote from the UK my only vote?
Reply 35
Good Luck
Reply 36
Austria is a strong ally of all three nations however Austria has chosen to vote for Italy in light of our support for them as fellow countrymen in the future Federation of Europe.
Original post by Morgsie
Thanks or the responses :smile:

Your right we need to come up with a model that is suitable for here. What do you think of term limits?

I second your question. There should be fixed term elections for permanent security council positions.
Reply 38
There are term limits for non-permanent members. Those elected here will serve for 3 months so we can rotate SC positions.
Voted. Good luck to all the candidates. You didn't make it easy with such good answers during the Q&A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending