The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
I tend to avoid second order differential equations because they can become quite nasty. In this case solving the first order DE was somewhat neater and very STEP-like with the discriminant. Energies is nice too, although it's usually the last thing I think of.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und
Solution 50

Using uu as the initial velocity.

Since the function of vv is continuous, if v0+v \to 0^{+} for some xx, then at that instant the frictional force must be greater than the weight, thus the rope will remain stationery. It remains to find a range of values of u u for which vv will become 0 0 .

Creating and solving the differential equation, we obtain v2=g(μ+1)x2l2μgx+u2v^2=\frac{g(\mu +1)x^2}{l}-2\mu g x+u^2, so if vv is to be 0 0 for some positive xx, then there must exist a positive root x=μl±(μgl)2u2gl(μ+1)g(μ+1)x=\frac{\mu l \pm \sqrt{(\mu gl)^2-u^{2}gl(\mu +1)}}{g(\mu +1)}, so a necessary and sufficient condition (assuming all the constant terms are positive) is u2μ2gl(μ+1)u^2 \leq \frac{{\mu}^{2}gl}{(\mu +1)} as required.

If the rope has mass mm, then the impulse applied to accelerate the rope to a speed uu is given by the change of momentum mumu. Hence Impulse2m2μ2glμ+1\text{Impulse}^2 \leq \frac{{m^{2}\mu}^{2}gl}{\mu +1}, giving the maximum impulse as mμglμ+1m\mu \sqrt{\frac{gl}{\mu+1}}.

I think this is the most natural solution to the question. But it is very STEP-esque to have multiple possible solutions.
Original post by und
Sorry to be blunt but this is all rather unconvincing. Consider what happens if we decide to make theta smaller. We can then increase ab.

I said that if you increase the side length of 3, then the other side can becomes at most 3. This means that you have this new side of length 3 and the old one of length 2. If you increase the one of length 2 the other side must become at most 2, hence you still have sides of at most length 3 and 2. If you increase both then you have sides lengths of at most 2, just over 3 and just over 3. But you can have side lengths of 2 and 3 and one larger so this still gives the most area as the area depends only on the two sides 2 and 3 and the angle between them.

If it wasn't clear enough in my original post I am editing it now.

Edit: I'll admit that my original post didn't have the best explanation, but the idea was there that you couldn't get longer shortest side lengths than of 2 and 3.
(edited 11 years ago)
Problem 56 **/***

Evaluate

02π1cosx+5 dx\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \dfrac{1}{\cos x + 5} \ dx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 404
Original post by metaltron
I said that if you increase the side length of 3, then the other side can becomes at most 3. This means that you have this new side of length 3 and the old one of length 2. If you increase the one of length 2 the other side must become at most 2, hence you still have sides of at most length 3 and 2. If you increase both then you have sides lengths of at most 2, just over 3 and just over 3. But you can have side lengths of 2 and 3 and one larger so this still gives the most area as the area depends only on the two sides 2 and 3 and the angle between them.

If it wasn't clear enough in my original post I am editing it now.

Edit: I'll admit that my original post didn't have the best explanation, but the idea was there that you couldn't get longer shortest side lengths than of 2 and 3.

I see what you mean, but it could have been explained better in the solution. So your argument is as follows if I understood correctly.

Spoiler

I'm very disappointed I never gave this question greater thought in the actual exam. This is a nice solution.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 405
Original post by Indeterminate
Problem 56 ***

Evaluate

02π1cosx+5 dx\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \dfrac{1}{\cos x + 5} \ dx

Isn't there a really easy way of doing this, only needing A-Level knowledge? (Don't read the spoiler if you want to do the question)

Spoiler

Original post by und
I see what you mean, but it could have been explained better in the solution. So your argument is as follows if I understood correctly.

Spoiler

I'm very disappointed I never gave this question greater thought in the actual exam. This is a nice solution.

Yeah that's it! It's a really easy question if you can word your answer right, but for some reason in that exam I had so many mental blocks. Was pretty upset after that paper, especially since it was the easiest in ages. Anyway, bring on next year's!
Reply 407
Original post by und

Spoiler

The better way of explaining this I think is once you get to the formula for the area, to say something like:

"We cannot use a side of length 4 as one of the legs of the triangle, as the hypotenuse would be larger than 4, which isn't allowed. Thus take the legs of the triangle to be 2 and 3; by Pythagoras, the hypotenuse is 3^2 + 2^2 = 13 < 4^2 (so satisfies the restrictions). Hence the maximum area of the triangle is (1/2)*2*3=3."

(This is obviously the same as what you've written, except I think you should make the point about the a leg of length 4 explicit.)

Are all BMO1 problems this short?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 408
Original post by shamika
The better way of explaining this I think is once you get to the formula for the area, to say something like:

"We cannot use a side of length 4 as one of the legs of the triangle, as the hypotenuse would be larger than 4, which isn't allowed. Thus take the legs of the triangle to be 2 and 3; by Pythagoras, the hypotenuse is 3^2 + 2^2 = 13 < 4^2 (so satisfies the restrictions). Hence the maximum area of the triangle is (1/2)*2*3=3."

Isn't it OK simply to consider the two shorter sides which are less than 2 and 3 respectively?

This year the paper was much easier than usual. The only reasonably difficult question was Q6 - I wasted a lot of time trying to solve that one without any success.
Reply 409
Problem 57 *

find

111+x4tan(x)1+x2 dx\displaystyle\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{1+x^4 tan(x)}{1+x^2}\ dx
Original post by shamika

(This is obviously the same as what you've written, except I think you should make the point about the a leg of length 4 explicit.)

The completing the square one was even shorter surely?
Reply 411
Original post by shamika
Isn't there a really easy way of doing this, only needing A-Level knowledge? (Don't read the spoiler if you want to do the question)

Spoiler

Spoiler

(Almost complete) Solution 27

I=x2+y2+z21cos(ax+by+cz) dxdydzI = \displaystyle\quad \iiint\limits_{x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq 1} \cos(ax+by+cz) \ \, \mathrm{d} x\,\mathrm{d} y\,\mathrm{d}z

This representation is all well and good, but as noted by my earlier attempts, any attempt to evaluate II in any coordinate system with the integrand in this form leads to a very cumbersome/impossible integral. The aim is thus to represent it in an equivalent form that will make the integration easier.

Notice that if a, r\textbf{a} ,\ \textbf{r} are the vectors such that a=(abc), r=(xyz)\textbf{a} = \begin{pmatrix} a & b & c \end{pmatrix} ,\ \textbf{r} = \begin{pmatrix} x & y & z \\ \end{pmatrix} , then:

ar=(abc)(xyz)=ax+by+cz\textbf{a} \cdot \textbf{r} = \begin{pmatrix} a & b & c \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} x & y & z \end{pmatrix} = ax+by+cz

If we take the unit vector in the direction of a\textbf{a} and call it e3\textbf{e}_3 , then

e3=aa\textbf{e}_3 = \dfrac{\textbf{a}}{|\textbf{a}|} . In order to be able to express any point in R3\mathbb{R} ^3 , we need two more unit vectors which are all perpendicular to each other, say e1, e2\textbf{e}_1 ,\ \textbf{e}_2 . As the three vectors are mutually orthogonal and of unit length in their directions, then they can now form an alternative way of expressing points in R3\mathbb{R} ^3 and so form an orthonormal basis.

Let these three unit vectors have associated coordinates X,Y,ZX,Y,Z . Then since they are orthonormal, the region we are integrating over can still be written in the same form, just with the x,y,zx,y,z coordinates substituted for X,Y,ZX,Y,Z . In our new orthonormal basis:

ar=(0,0,a)(X,Y,Z)=aZ\textbf{a} \cdot \textbf{r} = (0,0,|\textbf{a}|) \cdot (X,Y,Z) = |\textbf{a}|Z and so we can rewrite II as:

I=X2+Y2+Z21cos(aZ) dXdYdZI = \displaystyle\quad \iiint\limits_{X^2+Y^2+Z^2 \leq 1} \cos(\textbf{a} Z) \ \, \mathrm{d} X\,\mathrm{d} Y\,\mathrm{d}Z , with the region in R3\mathbb{R} ^3 that we are integrating over defined by 1X1, 1Y1, 1X2Y2Z1X2Y2-1\leq X \leq 1,\ -1\leq Y\leq 1,\ -\sqrt{1-X^2-Y^2} \leq Z\leq \sqrt{1-X^2-Y^2} . However, this could be potentially a troublesome integral because of the ZZ limits and so this integral would better be evaluated in the spherical coordinate system rather than the cartesian. So changing the variables over redefines the region in R3\mathbb{R} ^3 that we are integrating over as 0r1, 0θ2π, 0ϕπ0\leq r \leq 1,\ 0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi ,\ 0\leq \phi \leq \pi , multiplying by the Jacobian and picking our order of integrating carefully so as not to run into trouble gives:

I=010π02πcos(arcosϕ)r2sinϕ dθ dϕ dr\displaystyle I= \int^1_0 \int^{\pi }_0 \int^{2\pi }_0 \cos (|\textbf{a} |r\cos \phi )r^2\sin \phi \ d\theta \ d\phi \ dr

=010π[cos(arcosϕ)r2sinϕϕ]02π dϕ dr\displaystyle = \int^1_0 \int^{\pi }_0 \left[ \cos (|\textbf{a} |r\cos \phi )r^2\sin \phi \cdot \phi \right]_0^{2\pi} \ d\phi \ dr

=010π2πr2cos(arcosϕ)sinϕ dϕ dr\displaystyle = \int^1_0 \int^{\pi }_0 2\pi r^2\cos (|\textbf{a} |r\cos \phi )\sin \phi \ d\phi \ dr

=012πra[sin(arcosϕ]0π dr\displaystyle = \int^1_0 -\frac{2\pi r}{|\textbf{a} |} \left[\sin (|\textbf{a} |r\cos \phi \right]_0^{\pi} \ dr

=2πa01r(sin(ar)sin(ar)) dr\displaystyle = -\frac{2\pi }{|\textbf{a} |} \int^1_0 r\left( \sin (-|\textbf{a} |r) -\sin (|\textbf{a} |r) \right) \ dr

=4πa01rsin(ar) dr\displaystyle = \frac{4\pi }{|\textbf{a} |} \int^1_0 r\sin (|\textbf{a} |r) \ dr

One iteration of integration by parts gives

I=4πa3[sinaacosa].\displaystyle I = \frac{4\pi }{|\textbf{a} | ^3 }\left[ \sin |\textbf{a} |- | \textbf{a} | \cos | \textbf{a} | \right] .

The second part of this question is still to be completed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
No, that's fair enough. I tend to opt for Differential Equations because I like transforming a Mechanics question into a Pure question (And one of the nicer Pure topics in my opinion) but some of the energy solutions are really nice.

Yeah - DEs can give really neat solutions for mechanics questions, e.g. SHM. :cute:
Solution 57

Let the integral be II. Apply xxx\to -x to get I=111x4tanx1+x2dx I=\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1} \dfrac{1-x^4\tan x}{1+x^2} dx (by the oddity of tan), then add the two forms of II together and divide by 2 to obtain I=1111+x2dx=π2I = \displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1} \dfrac{1}{1+x^2} dx = \dfrac{\pi}{2}.
Reply 415
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Solution 57

Let the integral be II. Apply xxx\to -x to get I=111x4tanx1+x2dx I=\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1} \dfrac{1-x^4\tan x}{1+x^2} dx (by the oddity of tan), then add the two forms of II together and divide by 2 to obtain I=1111+x2dx=π2I = \displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1} \dfrac{1}{1+x^2} dx = \dfrac{\pi}{2}.

Nice, my method was to split it into 2 integrals, 1/(1+x^2) and another where the integrand was odd so it went to 0.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Solution 57

Damn beat me to it :/
Reply 417
Well I guess I'll provide another physicsy mathsy problem :colone:

Problem 58 **/***

A double pendulum consists of a mass m2 suspended by a rod of length l2 from a mass m1, which is itself suspended by a rod of length l1 from a fixed pivot, as shown below.

Untitled.jpg

Show that the equations of motion for small displacements can be written as

MΘ¨=KΘM \ddot{\Theta} = -K \Theta where,

M=(l12(m1+m2)l1l2m2l1l2m2l22m2)M= \begin{pmatrix} {l_1} ^2(m_1 +m_2) & l_1 l_2 m_2 \\l_1 l_2 m_2 & {l_2} ^2 m_2 \end{pmatrix}

K=(gl1(m1+m2)00gl2m2) K = \begin{pmatrix} gl_1 (m_1 +m_2) & 0 \\ 0 & gl_2 m_2 \end{pmatrix}

and Θ=(θ1θ2) \Theta = \begin{pmatrix} \theta_1 \\ \theta_2 \end{pmatrix}
Hint for 56:

Consider the integral

02πF(cosx,sinx) dx \displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} F(\cos x, \sin x) \ dx

with the substitution z=eixz=e^{ix}

Residue theorem! :smile:
Solution 57

Spoiler

Why I am so slow with latex T_T

I may give the residue theorem a go later
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply