The Student Room Group

Nursing at QUB/University of Ulster (Magee) Intake 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by krista_123
this might sound like a stupid question but when i went for my adult nursing interview at queens, they asked did i apply for any other branches for nursing, i said no but im thinking now is midwifery classed as a branch. mayb my interview was for the midwifery and the adult nursing because iv seen people say on here, its one interview for all branches?

Nursing & midwifery are two different degrees, when they asked if you'd applied to more than one branch they were referring to adult, children's, MH & LD. Midwifery is separate :smile:
I asked how many where short listed for ld interviews... They said they couldn't disclose that info :-/
Original post by hipbones
They liked it because you had what they were looking for - every single uni has their own idea of what they want from a nurse. I've had rejections from some uni's but invites for an interview from another. They all read the exact same statement, its different strokes for different folks!

I know you are disappointed but suggesting queens didn't ask you for an interview on the basis that they'd so many applicants is a bit far-fetched. It's down to your grades and PS.

I totally agree with you in a way. But look at it in another way. Im in the same boat as some of these people. My application was sent almost six months ago. I had interviews for all my other choices and received offers for all so it was very disappointing when Queens just came back and rejected last week after so long a wait with the excuse that I didn't meet their criteria. Anyway good luck to you and everyone else that actually got interviews. Hope you all fulfill your dreams and actually get into Queens and its not the case that you'll have to apply for the next 3 years like a recent taxi man told me. If that's the case ill have my degree before some have even started.
Original post by EmmaD123
Nursing & midwifery are two different degrees, when they asked if you'd applied to more than one branch they were referring to adult, children's, MH & LD. Midwifery is separate :smile:

thank u, i was panicing that i hadnt relised i was in for the two. :smile:
Original post by Butternuts
I went back over all my questions and added things, but I think I may have forgot to say about communication (so important) so I doubt il have passed interview

u might still have got a high enough score to get in, its so hard to remember everything when ur in because of nerves. have u any offers to fall back on?
Original post by SarahH&

I totally agree with you in a way. But look at it in another way. Im in the same boat as some of these people. My application was sent almost six months ago. I had interviews for all my other choices and received offers for all so it was very disappointing when Queens just came back and rejected last week after so long a wait with the excuse that I didn't meet their criteria. Anyway good luck to you and everyone else that actually got interviews. Hope you all fulfill your dreams and actually get into Queens and its not the case that you'll have to apply for the next 3 years like a recent taxi man told me. If that's the case ill have my degree before some have even started.

I understand what u mean, I found it strange that i got an interview for mental health nursing in magee but was unsuccessful for adult nursing at magee but then i got an interview for queens adult nursing, I had assumed i wudnt get one because i didnt get shortlisted for magee. At least u have other offers to fall back on, i no how dishearting it is, im depending on queens now between adult nursing and midwifery but magee would have been alot handier for me because il have to drive as i have a child.
Reply 626
SarahH&, I should have made it more clear by the way that my experience of invites for some and rejections from others was a few years ago. In the end I couldn't attend the interviews because of personal circumstances.
I got an interview for Magee this year but was unsuccessful - although I am on the reserve list.
You have other offers to fall back on, I don't really think I've much of a chance this year as its my first shot at all of this so it's a learning curve.

'not meeting the criteria' isn't an excuse though. That's their reason.
Can I ask if queens was your first choice?
No i got unsuccessful for mental health at magee but got on the reserve list. unsuccessful for my other two choices to, that was the adult nursing at magee and i applied for social work as a back up and got an interview but didnt want to do it anyway. So im depending now on my adult nursing at queens or midwifery but im not very hopeful after getting 3 unsuccessfuls. Thats not helpful at all for a reason, r u doin ur a levels or an access course? have u requested feed back? No midwifery was my first choice. Have u heard back from all ur choices?
Reply 628
Does anyone know of any interviews later than next week? (think 17th is latest I've heard of so far) Or if they are still sending interview invites out?
Reply 629
No i got unsuccessful for mental health at magee but got on the reserve list. unsuccessful for my other two choices to, that was the adult nursing at magee and i applied for social work as a back up and got an interview but didnt want to do it anyway. So im depending now on my adult nursing at queens or midwifery but im not very hopeful after getting 3 unsuccessfuls. Thats not helpful at all for a reason, r u doin ur a levels or an access course? have u requested feed back? No midwifery was my first choice. Have u heard back from all ur choices?

My response was to Sarah but I'll reply to you anyway, lol. Or maybe you weren't replying to me at all and I need to go back to sleep again!

I know it's not a helpful reason, but thats the reason they are giving. I'm doing an access course, and I haven't requested feedback from Magee as yet. I'm on the reserve for adult and mental health so I'll see what happens then, I'm surprised I got on it at all, I thought my interviews were awful.

I only applied to Queens and Magee. I have friends who are waiting to hear back about Midwifery, I don't know of any interviews yet?
HipBones it is my opinion that they have given this reason as an excuse for running out of time. I more than met the listed criteria on their website and my personal statement reflected all my experience which helped in receiving offers from 4 top universities so I have asked for feedback and I will be appealing. I have offers but will have to go away. The main point I was making was that it took them near 6 months to reply. And I very much doubt anyone else waiting to hear about an interview will get one at this stage.
u might still have got a high enough score to get in, its so hard to remember everything when ur in because of nerves. have u any offers to fall back on?

Krista I only applied to queens and one branch only! If I don't get in this year I will just reapply next year... I'm in a full time job with learning disability people so another years wait is another year of experience to add to my personal statement :tongue: If I get in this year I will be over the moon, but if I don't I will apply again and again until they give in and let me do it lol what about you did you apply for Anywhere else?

* just a general comment - queens have short listed people for interviews.... They check all applications.... This is why it's such a slow process with there being so many. I don't want to sound harsh or anything but if you didn't get an interview then there will be a valid reason for it... It could be something rely minute and simple that other university's don't care about but queens consider it more important. If you have other offers then well done your going to be a nurse in 3 year and if you haven't then spend this year wisely whether it be gaining experience volunteering of working somewhere which would benefit your chances next year or just spend time finding out what they want in ps and perfect your personal statement
Reply 632
Does anybody know the intake for LD nursing? And how competitive it is to get a place in? Is it true that each branch have different scores which determine whether you've passed the interview or not? Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 633
My friend got an unsuccessful from magee for adult nursing and got put on reserve list.. she went in to see what her score was but they didn't give it to her... She then asked was there many on it and the woman replied 95% of unsuccessful applicants got asked do they want to be on reserve list..Hope that helps some people
Reply 634
Original post by Butternuts

* just a general comment - queens have short listed people for interviews.... They check all applications.... This is why it's such a slow process with there being so many. I don't want to sound harsh or anything but if you didn't get an interview then there will be a valid reason for it... It could be something rely minute and simple that other university's don't care about but queens consider it more important. If you have other offers then well done your going to be a nurse in 3 year and if you haven't then spend this year wisely whether it be gaining experience volunteering of working somewhere which would benefit your chances next year or just spend time finding out what they want in ps and perfect your personal statement

This is the point I'm trying to make but I'm not getting very far.
Original post by hipbones
This is the point I'm trying to make but I'm not getting very far.

At the end of the day this is a thread that should be used to help each other, ask questions and find out things from... Conspiracy About queens is a little bit silly...I know it must be heart breaking to not get aN interview, but if you didn't its due to something you have said or not said in ur ps. Try and read through it see is there obvious things in it? For example I said in mine Bout four or five times I wanted to be a nurse which may sound like nothing important but it shows my desire? At the end of the day they have boxs to tick we either get ticks or unsuccessful and interviews aren't going to be Ny different we will All have scores and some people will get offers And others, in fact the majority of people will get unsuccessfuls. It's such a competitive course, and there isn't that many places really (like ld which iv applied for has 30 just)

Rather than having things like conspiracy theory's why not post ur ps on here and we can tell you if we included Something that you didn't ? Make use of resources... :-)
Reply 636
I was told that the high score was offered 2 the reserve list and that the low score was offered other courses to consider physical courses etc ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 637
If you answered the email about the reserve do you hear back? I replied and haven't heard anything but a Gil in my class got an email saying that she's now on reserve ?
Reply 638
I heard a few days later, say thank you regarding your email... That I was on res\list !!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 639
Had my interview at Queens on Fri really don't know how it went fingers crossed 3rd time lucky. Does any one know when we find out Queens decision????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending