The Student Room Group

Are artists attention seekers?

Read title. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I find a lot of arty people a bit pretentious, but I wouldn't say they're any more "attention-seeking" than those who create stuff in general that's meant for public consumption. You woudn't say a scientist was attention seeking for building an invention everyone could use :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ezekiella
I find a lot of arty people a bit pretentious, but I wouldn't say they're any more "attention-seeking" than those who create stuff in general that's meant for public consumption. You woudn't say a scientist was attention seeking for building an invention everyone could use :smile:

Science has practical uses. Art does not. So if the scientific invention becomes famous is generally because it is useful. Artists can't say the same though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
Science has practical uses. Art does not. So if the scientific invention becomes famous is generally because it is useful. Artists can say the same though.

I suppose you mean they cant say the same? And yeah, lots of science isn't practical though (like building meaningless household gadgets) and art can be said to have an effect on people which is making a difference, albeit not in an entirely practical way. Its very subjective though. But I wouldnt say all artists are attention seekers, they see the world in a different way to me but some of the ones I know are actually quite retiring and shy. Not everyone creates art for everyone else to see either
Reply 4
Original post by Ezekiella
I suppose you mean they cant say the same? And yeah, lots of science isn't practical though (like building meaningless household gadgets) and art can be said to have an effect on people which is making a difference, albeit not in an entirely practical way. Its very subjective though. But I wouldnt say all artists are attention seekers, they see the world in a different way to me but some of the ones I know are actually quite retiring and shy. Not everyone creates art for everyone else to see either

Maybe. But most of the scientific inventions have a practical use. Does any artistic invention have a practical use?
Reply 5
Pretty much all human beings are attention seekers. It's just that a lot of us are smart enough to not be too obvious and annoying about it.
Reply 6
Original post by areyouseriousTSR
I know artists who don't even show anyone their work or reveal that they're artists.

By contradiction, therefore, artists are not attention seekers.

Well, but it seems like they told you about it which pretty much amounts to the same. Btw, how many artists do you know?
Reply 7
I know artists who don't even show anyone their work or reveal that they're artists.

By contradiction, therefore, artists are not attention seekers.

I think a lot of the time this is more down to timidity and self-criticism/self-consciousness than a dislike for attention in itself.
Reply 8
Original post by Redolent
Pretty much all human beings are attention seekers. It's just that a lot of us are smart enough to not be too obvious and annoying about it.

I take my hat off, sir.
Reply 9
Artists don't get half the attention they deserve.
Reply 10
Science has practical uses. Art does not. So if the scientific invention becomes famous is generally because it is useful. Artists can't say the same though.

Art is self expression and individuality which is just as important to society as science.
Reply 11
I take my hat off, sir.

Thank you, your attention is appreciated. :wink:
Reply 12
No, in all cases (only 2-3 people) I found their artwork at their home, and they explained that they were a secret artist.

You don't need to know more than one example to prove by contradiction.

I did not say "all artists" since that it obviously false. I said artists (which is normally seen as "artists in general"). So your proof by contradiction does not work with me, my fellow logician. :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by Kat_woman
Art is self expression and individuality which is just as important to society as science.

I disagree.

0. Self-expression is important to society.

1. Art is self-expression.

2. Self-expression is not necessarily art.

Thus,

art is not as important to society as science.
Reply 14
I disagree.

1. Art is self-expression.

2. Self-expression is not necessarily art.

Thus,

art is not as important to society as science.

What? Self expression can take many forms but they're all equally important. You might want to explain your point a bit more because other than the provocative title and this insistence on science I'm not really seeing your argument here......
Reply 15
Science has practical uses. Art does not. .

Science cannot exist without art, especially in the subconscious minds and understanding. Think about that.
Reply 16
Original post by Faberry
Science cannot exist without art, especially in the subconscious minds and understanding. Think about that.

Nonsense. Science cannot exist without imagination.
Not all imagination is art.

Thus,

science can exist without art.

Btw, the bolded bit does not make any sense.

Not all imagination is art.

I fundamentally disagree with this. Everything in life is art, it's seeing it for the art it is that counts. Go outside and look around it's all art. Some nature's art, some the art of humans. Some intentional, most unintentional.
Reply 18
Original post by Kat_woman
1-What? Self expression can take many forms but they're all equally important. You might want to explain your point a bit more because other than the provocative title and this insistence on science I'm not really seeing your argument here......

1- Read again:

1. Premise: Art is self-expression.

2. Premise: Self-expression is not necessarily art.

Thus,

Conclusion: Art is not as important to society as science.

2- This thread is meant to discuss the idea of artists being attention-seekers. You gave a reply and using the premise of your reply I showed that your statement was false.
Reply 19
1- Read again:

1. Premise: Art is self-expression.

2. Premise: Self-expression is not necessarily art.

Thus,

Conclusion: Art is not as important to society as science.

2- This thread is meant to discuss the idea of artists being attention-seekers. You gave a reply and using the premise of your reply I showed that your statement was false.

No you're just mincing words in an attempt to sound superior.

Quick Reply

Latest