The Student Room Group

My first experience of alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeJayyJayy
Good rate, or bad rate?
Not that I'm fussed either way. I'm just interested to know. :P

Good haha
Original post by halbeth
Did you honestly just claim that smoking can cure depression?

That is so, so so so SO SO wrong.

And I'm expecting you to have tried it?
I don't drink because its cool. I drink because I like the taste and the feeling. I almost never drink vodka or beer. It's usually cider or my favourites are disoronno and coke or jack Daniels and coke. I guess you just need to look around and drink what you like.

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 43
Original post by SexiestNameEver
I am soon going to be 16 and I have just had my first experience of alcohol. My first one was a "typical" vodka. It was disgusting. It tasted of nail varnish remover (I haven't tasted a nail-varnish remover but I can guess the taste from the scent). The second one was an orange flavored one, I have no idea what it's called but it was a bit like fizzy orange juice but a lot bitter. I saw absolutely no point in drinking it and why people find that it is one of the many alcohols which "taste good".

Here is my question: why drink alcohol? I mean maybe it is a stress-reliever and it makes you feel good but I am guessing in order to achieve that you need to drink a lot of it. And to be honest I can't even get through two spoon-fulls of ANY alcohol (I have had sips of many in the past few days and I have found NONE of them appealing). Why ruin your liver when you can have other drink which taste MUCH better?

If you want a stress-reliever smoking is much better as it works effectively in just one puff.

Anyways this is just my opinion, share yours :smile:

1. Cigarette smoking is far more unhealthy, especially if you're doing it on a regular basis
2. I don't like the smell of cigarette on clothes, and many people don't like second hand smoking

3. Alcohol comes in MANY different flavours and concentrations. To make a statement that you don't like alcohol after only tasting what is only one of hundreds of VERY different tasting alcohol mixtures premature.

4. You don't need to drink lots of it to relieve stress. A couple of beers will do the trick, or say a glass of rum and coke or something similar.
I've never drank alcohol but I have always been a little tempted in trying it out one day.
But I've always wondered is alcohol actually addictive? I'm a little worried that I might end up getting addicted to it and literally crave it constantly...
Original post by Solid.Snake
I've never drank alcohol but I have always been a little tempted in trying it out one day.
But I've always wondered is alcohol actually addictive? I'm a little worried that I might end up getting addicted to it and literally crave it constantly...

No lol

Posted from TSR iPad

The **** you've come out with in this thread..

Then I remember you're 15.

Lol at OP thinking she knows anything.
Reply 47

Yep, plus let's not forget all the medical evidence that smoking increases stress.
Reply 48
Original post by MasterJomi
The **** you've come out with in this thread..

Then I remember you're 15.

She sure put me in my place. It's not like I've had 8 more years of life experience, and have actually lived life as an adult, or anything.
The **** you've come out with in this thread..<br />
<br />
Then I remember you're 15. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Original post by halbeth
She sure put me in my place. It's not like I've had 8 more years of life experience, and have actually lived life as an adult, or anything.
<br />
<br />
Hmm guys let's see how my post suggests that you have no experience of smoking and that I "know anything". Oh wait, it doesn't. It was a simple question because just because you're an adult it DOESN'T mean you have experienced it, I know far more who haven't. But don't worry apologies accepted :smile:
Good day to you too.
Reply 50
<br />
<br />

<br />
<br />
Hmm guys let's see how my post suggests that you have no experience of smoking and that I "know anything". Oh wait, it doesn't. It was a simple question because just because you're an adult it DOESN'T mean you have experienced it, I know far more who haven't. But don't worry apologies accepted :smile:
Good day to you too.

Come on, your 'and I'm expecting you to have tried it?' post was quite clearly meant to be sarcastic.

The point was more that life experience, regardless of whether or not I am a regular smoker, has given me understanding that smoking will not cure depression.

Sure, it can act as a temporary form of relief to someone who is unhappy, but the fact is (and I know this from both knowing regular smokers who will quite happily confirm what I say, and from having even the most basic understanding of how it is that cigarettes actually work) that long-term nicotine use increases overall stress levels. Any doctor will tell you that. That is not the same thing as curing depression - depression is a serious psychological illness.

To argue that smoking 40 cigarettes will 'cure' depression is ignorant and best; downright irresponsible, and potentially harmful to impressionable young people, at worst.

There is no 'cure' for clinical depression, but the best way to treat it is therapy, and in severe cases variants of anti-depressant medication.
(edited 11 years ago)
<br />
<br />

<br />
<br />
Good day to you too.

Errr, where in my post did I state that you said I had no experience of smoking...

Making absurd comments about smoking 40 a day curing depression / thinking it's healthier than drinking alcohol on moderation / one puff makes you happy.. haha, because smokers take a puff and are fine, right?

No being an adult doesn't automatically mean you've experienced it no, but the with age does come with experiences meaning they're more likely to than a 15 year old... Why is it so hard to believe an adult will have had more experiences than a 15 year old?
The things you are saying are something an impressionable 15 year old would say. Your, oh so wise, friends probably told you these things and now you're taking them as fact without doing any research of your own. Don't they teach the simple facts of smoking in schools anymore? They did at mine.
I don't mind it, but I can do without it these days to be honest. I don't mind the odd pint or three though. But I rarely get drunk. And when I do drink I keep it simple with beers and the odd vodka. I used to be a cider drinker but I don't think it's 'all that' anymore.

My first experience was a bit late (by that I mean getting properly bladdered, not just having a few pints) - I was 19, on a college christmas night out with many of my coursemates.

The end result was sitting on an orange beanbag in my mates flat, in front of the fridge, unable to get up without incredible effort, whilst belting out all the songs of Oasis.

I seldom get drunk anymore (haven't in months) and the only time I see that changing in the near future is at a friend's birthday party.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Ugh, Bulmers red berries and lime tasted even worse than normal bulmers - personally, I just drink straight cider. All of this "Oh, it taste blah blah" is just childish, if one is wanting to drink. Just put up with it! :lol:

Have you tried Bulmer's Toffee Apple Cider? That is, without a doubt, the most disgusting drink I have ever tasted :yucky:

Personally, I like a dry cider, but I can't stand beer. If you're looking for a drink you'll like the taste of, I'd suggest a Mojito or a nice glass of mulled wine at christmas :xmasgrin:
Me after my first sip of WKD Blue aged 13.

Errr, where in my post did I state that you said I had no experience of smoking...

Making absurd comments about smoking 40 a day curing depression / thinking it's healthier than drinking alcohol on moderation / one puff makes you happy.. haha, because smokers take a puff and are fine, right?

No being an adult doesn't automatically mean you've experienced it no, but the with age does come with experiences meaning they're more likely to than a 15 year old... Why is it so hard to believe an adult will have had more experiences than a 15 year old?
The things you are saying are something an impressionable 15 year old would say. Your, oh so wise, friends probably told you these things and now you're taking them as fact without doing any research of your own. Don't they teach the simple facts of smoking in schools anymore? They did at mine.

Oh okay, and those "simple facts" also apply to alcohol. Maybe you should do some research yourself :smile:
Reply 56
Taste is subjective. I love the taste of a good red wine but my mother won't touch it. She prefers light beers, which I find repulsive. Just like any food or drink, everyone has different tastes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Oh okay, and those "simple facts" also apply to alcohol. Maybe you should do some research yourself :smile:

Nobody attempted to claim that alcohol is any better for depression (it's about one of the worst things a depressed person can consume...) Simply that smoking is no good for it.
Reply 58
If you want a stress-reliever smoking is much better as it works effectively in just one puff.

LOL!

So does crack & smack, but like nicotine, both are much worse for you than alcohol...
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread makes me want an ice cold lager :coma:

Quick Reply

Latest