The Student Room Group

The "Big Four" Accountancy firms HELP!

Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Either go to a good university and get a 2.1 or above (pick a subject you enjoy) and apply through the 3 year graduate route, or get some good A level results and apply through the school leavers scheme for the 5 year training programme.
Original post by SamTew29
Hi Guys,

I'm in my first year at college and want to become an accountant. I do A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I was just wondering if people could help me out on the best route to take to work for one of the big 4 firms (Deloitte, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young), any help is appreciated!!!

As someone who worked for a Big Eight accounting firm when I was young
(30 years ago, it was the Big Eight), let me warn you that working for a Big 4 firm should not be a goal in and of itself. I say this because people were fired left and right while I worked there, and on April 16th, the day after tax filing deadline in America, they got rid of about 1/2 their staff. I had only been there a few months. The guys who were fired had been there exactly a year longer than me (they were the people hired from the previous year's class). I was not fired, but quickly realized that a year later, I would probably be treated in a similar manner.
Reply 3
Original post by floridadad55
As someone who worked for a Big Eight accounting firm when I was young
(30 years ago, it was the Big Eight), let me warn you that working for a Big 4 firm should not be a goal in and of itself. I say this because people were fired left and right while I worked there, and on April 16th, the day after tax filing deadline in America, they got rid of about 1/2 their staff. I had only been there a few months. The guys who were fired had been there exactly a year longer than me (they were the people hired from the previous year's class). I was not fired, but quickly realized that a year later, I would probably be treated in a similar manner.

Can't speak for the past, but people are not currently fired 'left and right' at the big four. It's as stable a place to work as any. Wouldn't advise the OP to base his career choices on things like that, else you could probably find a reason not to choose anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending