The Student Room Group

Think I m developing RSI a less than a month until my AS exams.

Basically I am year year 12 student and I do 5 subjects so my work loads is quite big, but I only take one essay subject: history. The thing is I am not crammer nor am I a "lets start revision months before the exam". But this Easter my hands / wrist is getting pretty painful.

So this Easter I've decided to get majority of my revision notes made. So for chem and biology I ve made about 50 flash cards on the specification for each exam. So then today I fully started making revision flash cards for history. But cause my history is made of 3 modules I need to make 3 sets of cards so today I did the whole of civil rights took me about 7 hours in total but I had breaks and did let my hand rest .

However my hand is really sore and it's making it hard to write, usually I grin my pen hard and I ve been actively trying to loosen up but today my hands just felt so sore. In exams I often get cramp but never to the point that it really hurts or effects how much I can write.

After today I m kinda concerned of this being RSI and the potential hazard it could have on my studies.

Has anyone had this problem, how did you manage it and reduce the negative effect? Anythings toys etcthat can improve my hand?

Got quite alot of work planned for weekend , going to try and take lots
Of breaks and I might go GP if it continues but tbh is there anything I can do?

My AS start pretty soon and so next month is important and I need to be able to write for long time and significant. Amounts.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hi my advice would be to write more lightly as the harder you grip the more tension you put on your hand and therefore it causes more pain. If you use a lighter grip you can maintain revision and not get cramps etc.

Anyway im also doing history and you are on edexcel i presume? so are the flash cards the main way you are going to revise if not what other revision methods are you using, btw im doing henry viii and russia in revolution.
Reply 2
Original post by supastyla
Hi my advice would be to write more lightly as the harder you grip the more tension you put on your hand and therefore it causes more pain. If you use a lighter grip you can maintain revision and not get cramps etc.

Anyway im also doing history and you are on edexcel i presume? so are the flash cards the main way you are going to revise if not what other revision methods are you using, btw im doing henry viii and russia in revolution.

Yeah that's what I m doing this morning, well trying to also got a wrist supporter my dad used to have, hopefully it's just a one off.

Yeah I am on edexcel, yeah flash cards work for me for the most subjects especially bio/chem. for history we do Henry viii, Russia 1881-1924 and then also civil rights 1945-1968. So yeah interesting but horrible it's now come to revision. Also got some decent revision guides of amazon. What other subjects you do and I assume you do Stalin as well as Lenin right?
Reply 3
I do Russia 1881- 1924 too its tsarist Russia mainly? I presume yours is the same, you do exactly the same modules as me :smile: btw are you using 'my revision notes' as the guides? Finally have you started to do any essays?
Reply 4
Original post by supastyla
I do Russia 1881- 1924 too its tsarist Russia mainly? I presume yours is the same, you do exactly the same modules as me :smile: btw are you using 'my revision notes' as the guides? Finally have you started to do any essays?

Lol so do you do civil rights as well? The tsar is just silly he should of just made a proper constitutional government in 1900 before any revolution and that would be the end probably. Yeah I am maybe teachers recommended it , you go to my school. Well the exams in 4 weeks as we have done quite a lot of essays through the year for homework but no not yet... Got 4 weeks so plan on doing 6 on each until the real thing
Reply 5
Bump. Again today my hand has be horrible, wrist and back of the hand pain when doing any form of writing even if grip is extremely loose...concerned about this effect on my exams/revision, anyone experienced this situation with exams before?
Reply 6
Take a break! Your not allowing significant resting for your hand! I had this issue when I did my exams! I didn't write notes, so only had the problem during the exams! Stretch the hand out and do some hand manipulation in warm water to help relax the hand!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Dannyhemms
Take a break! Your not allowing significant resting for your hand! I had this issue when I did my exams! I didn't write notes, so only had the problem during the exams! Stretch the hand out and do some hand manipulation in warm water to help relax the hand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to not pick up a pen, but the amount of work my school set me is ridiculous, I know I need to rest it but its nearly Impossible to do any work and tbh I doubt my teaches will sympathetic. Yeah ok thanks interesting tip, will try it later :smile:
Reply 8
Does anyone know if you ever have to declare if you have RSI .. E.g. As a practicing doctor or surgeon?

Quick Reply

Latest