The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think the western governments would do well to stay as far away from this conflict as possible.

If the west aids Assad and Assad wins, the muslim world will hate the west for aiding the tyrant stay in power. If Assad loses, the muslim world will hate the west for having tried to help the tyrant stay and keeping the "lions of Islam" out of power.

If the west helps the rebels and they win, the muslim world will hate the west for removing their "noble muslim hero" Assad and replacing him with fanatics. If the rebels lose, the muslims will hate the west for trying to overthrow their beloved ruler of Islam.

No matter what you do and whoever wins, the west is getting blamed for it. The best course of action is to stay away from the conflict.

Edit: Negged. :smile: Nice.

On second thought, I think the west is getting blamed even if they don't do anything. "Oh evil western powers, how you laughed and cheered on while syrians killed each other. You are certainly to blame."
(edited 11 years ago)
One of the main rebel groups has pledged allegiance to al qaeda. The west should be helping Assad beat these terrorists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22095099
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kate_louise21
Having been in Damascus right at the start of the protests in April 2012 and knowing people who lived there, its sad to see how such a beautiful country has been torn apart by not only Assad but the rest of the people who are standing by him, those in power and those from other countries etc. Assad is a cold blooded murder and a coward who thinks he can justify these war crimes and killings of thousands of innocent civilians daily.
However lets not be niave and think what is going on now has not been going on for years. The West have known about the treatment the Syrians have been subjected to not only by Assad but also by neighbouring countries, especially Lebanon, coming from someone who lived there and to people who have been there themselves you will understand what i mean by them being treated like dirt and considered not worth people....there are endless jokes about the Syrian people how poor they are and how they struggle so much in their own country they have to come to Lebanon to earn whatever money possible to send back to their families there. Before these protests, speaking badly of Assad and the government would immediately land you in prison and be faced with torture.
While the world watches, they say it as inconvenient for their own country to intervene in Syria as it does not benefit them in anyway therefore the world sit and watch thousands of children, fathers, siblings, mothers, grandparents etc and etc be slaughtered everyday.
R.I.P to all those innocent civillians who have been caught up in this and may there be revenge on Assad and every single murderer who has commited these crimes against humanity.

You have bought into the western propaganda. Assad is fighting against savage terrorists.
Reply 83
Original post by QuentinMids
You have bought into the western propaganda. Assad is fighting against savage terrorists.

We have heard that one before...bring something else now its getting really boring now...

Assad repeating the same crap time and time again and only uneducated hooligans will believe him because one cannot be bothered to look up and read the history of syria and find out that this didnt just happen out the blue...Its been going on for 1000s of years.

If you wanna believe what assad says then do so...its a free world...believe what you want think what you want. It aint gonna change nothing in syria. Syria will always be syria. Bashar will always be Bashar and the syrians will always be the best nation ever existed in history.

Their bravery is un-describable.
Thus nothing will stop them to achieve what they want...freedom. NOthing will stop them...they sacrificed 100,000 men, women and children are they going to throw it away now?

I think not!
Saudi and Qatari trolls still spreading propaganda, nothing to see here
Reply 85
With respect to everyone that has posted so far: you can sit there, and attempt to know what's going on in Syria. But the fact is, Syria is complexed. No one really knows. If anything, try and get first-hand knowledge from the Syrians themselves. I.e. those that have had direct experience. So really, all of your opinions are pretty much worthless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Sufistic
With respect to everyone that has posted so far: you can sit there, and attempt to know what's going on in Syria. But the fact is, Syria is complexed. No one really knows. If anything, try and get first-hand knowledge from the Syrians themselves. I.e. those that have had direct experience. So really, all of your opinions are pretty much worthless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True...

Thus I will let the hooligans do their own homework...we all gotta start somewhere :biggrin:
Reply 87
One of the main rebel groups has pledged allegiance to al qaeda. The west should be helping Assad beat these terrorists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22095099

A lot of them are basically Al-Qaeda. Al-Nusra "the main belligerents are a terrorist organisation".

Instead of fighting against them they're giving them weapons and body armour. (No wonder you see these poor rebels with lovely equipments like Stingers). :rolleyes: Even though Assad is holding up and I think he's winning the war these terrorist organisations/criminals will just in time shoot the newly provided weapons back to their suppliers (the west).
Reply 88

Exactly. :smile:
They don't buy it - not everything the BBC says is true even the weather forecast!
Tbh, i dont care who wins honestly, however with Assad the country never had to suffer suicide bombings, had a tourism industry, and a somewhat decent economy, Top Gear went their and found out their show is incredibly popular, they allowed the bbc to travel through Syria etc etc..

With the rebels, you are effectively turning the country into another Iraq/Libya. If the rebels win, soon the news headlines will be something of stupid corrupt pathetic excuses of democratic elections. Pressure from islamist groups, and of course the odd suicide bombing.

You take away Assad and youre making the whole situation worse, recent history CLEARLY shows us that.
Remember when some of Assad's online information was compromised and we found out that he had downloaded LMFAO's I'm Sexy and I Know It? I'm not sure what this means for Syria, but it can't be good.
the vast majority of British people prefer a leader like Assad than the homosexual David Cameron, time for a real leader to sort out our problems
People are so naive. They believe everything media spews in front of them. Assad is not a good man, no, but its not as simple as it seems. The facts of the matter that the rebel faction are now declaring they are part of Al Qaeda.These Islamists are being supplied weapons by USA, Israel and Saudi. Sound familiar? Afghanistan, Iraq all over again. If they get into power its going to a situation much worse than Assad.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/10/opinion/bergen-al-qaeda-syria/?hpt=hp_c1
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4361519,00.html
I don't usually back of defend controversial left wingers, so make the most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHMlX3PvNw

Now Assad is a despot, everyone knows this. He needs to be removed, and I don't think I need to explain why, a quick google search will tell you. But to remove one tyrannical and replace it with another even more tyrannical government is stupidity! Look at who the Free Syrain Army are, groups such as Jabhat al-Nusra are increasingly getting larger and are forming the backbone of the FSA. They are linked to Al Qaeda, (our enemy) why are so many people in TSR backing the FSA? Do you not know who the FSA are? They are not freedom fighters, they will commit genocide, their leaders have even said so (47:40 of the video below, the guy is one of the local leaders of the FSA.)

This video gives an unbiased account of both sides of the story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W949ZqKCu_I

Both sides are guilty of war crimes. Assad is not protecting his people from "terrorists," he is one. Likewise, the FSA are not freedom fighters. There needs to be a peaceful revolution, not war, not genocide.

Can anyone really back the FSA? They are as bad as Assad, there is as much documented cases of war crimes by the FSA out there as there is by Assad. Wake up TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
As always both sides are just as bad as each other...

But while nothing is done millions of civilians are killed caught in between. Its a tough choice to make, between two evils
Reply 95
Original post by Sufistic

Posted from TSR Mobile

As is yours
Reply 96
It's the Middle East out there, Israel is the only country where truly democratic governance is possible.
Reply 97
Agreed. Funding and training the Mujahadeen in the 80s came back to bite us in the arse, I can easily envisage that a similar thing will happen with many of those Syrian rebel groups in the coming decade.
Reply 98
Original post by geetar
Agreed. Funding and training the Mujahadeen in the 80s came back to bite us in the arse, I can easily envisage that a similar thing will happen with many of those Syrian rebel groups in the coming decade.

A big factor in that was we simply left Afghanistan after the Soviets did. There was no effort to try to rebuild the country so naturally it descended into civil war. If there was enough international will for it then Syria could be sorted out but it would require a good number of years. Doing nothing in Syria is going to come back to bite us just as hard as doing something may have.
Original post by yg95
Hello everyone I want to know what what's your opinion on the the Syrian president. I personally think he's the best person for Syria currently

Posted from TSR Mobile

'best' is a relative term. Strictly speaking, you may be right, but only because his opposition - a bunch of horrid Salafis - is so abhorrent.

Latest

Trending

Trending