The Student Room Group

The Part-Time Employment Trap

I've recently been looking for a part-time job with hours at the weekend and weeknights. However, it seems all jobs want past experience in the retail sector. How is anyone supposed to gain experience if shops are unwilling to hire somebody without experience?

Any advice on getting a job? Thanks
Reply 1
Sainsbury's hired me with no retail experience, and I got interviews at both waitrose and next with no experience at all, so they might be worth a try :smile:
Reply 2
lie like most people
Reply 3
Try volunteering for a few months first, volunteers are always needed so unless you're a criminal you'll be accepted. By volunteer I mean in oxfam/any other charity shops you have. Then you'll have retail experience. It's not an instant fix but it will give you experience and may actually put you above other candidates for the job who have only had past paid experience..
I work at Sports Direct and I never had any retail experience prior to getting an interview. You can either keep trying or volunteer at charity shops to gain some retail experience. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by me0
I've recently been looking for a part-time job with hours at the weekend and weeknights. However, it seems all jobs want past experience in the retail sector. How is anyone supposed to gain experience if shops are unwilling to hire somebody without experience?

Any advice on getting a job? Thanks

Mcdonalds
Reply 6
Just apply anyway. I think a lot of employers are flexible about experience. You have nothing to lose.

Alternatively, you could try to do some volunteering. If its in a charity shop, for example, then at least you might get to work on the till which counts as experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by emma2013
Sainsbury's hired me with no retail experience, and I got interviews at both waitrose and next with no experience at all, so they might be worth a try :smile:

You probably were very lucky because Sainsbury's rejected me 3 times in a row

As for the person, either apply again or volunteer. I'm thinking myself to volunteer as well because constant rejections sicken me.
Reply 8
Some people feel like they can get a job just because they've got 10 A's at GCSE, predicted A's at A-level and going to apply to Cambridge.

They want real people with hobbies etc.

I think I got my job because I've been a guide leader for a good 4 years. I got an interview with Mcdonalds without any form of experience and I was against 11 other people. We got a trail for 15 minutes of which we had to do the drinks and had the food out to customers on the drive through. I have no idea how I got it as I was against my Ex boyfriend who had experience working in a sport centre for two years and he had work experience in a cafe! When I asked the boss he said that I was genuine, polite and had a natural ability with customers.

I know a lad who thinks 'I've got A*'s at GCSE surely that out ways experience' but he's moody, arrogant and believes that he should just get a job.

I worked full-time at Mcdonalds for 3 months before starting college where I got a job at a high-end jewellery shop. I moved onto a train station cafe a year later where I worked for 18 months.

Have you thought about applying for jobs out of the beaten track? The little news agent in town, the fish and chip shop or picking fruit in the summer?
Reply 9
Original post by ohhello92x
I work at Sports Direct and I never had any retail experience prior to getting an interview. You can either keep trying or volunteer at charity shops to gain some retail experience. Good luck :smile:

How did you get the job? Online or hand in CV?
Original post by me0
How did you get the job? Online or hand in CV?

I applied online and then they contacted me for an interview when the store where I live were recruiting people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending