The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Computer Science Bsc!

I've got an offer for the computer science Bsc course at lancaster this year. I know briefly what the course involves but I'm still sort of unsure. Can anyone tell me about computer science/the course? If you're studying it/have studied it before is it enjoyable etc? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Le Wookie
I've got an offer for the computer science Bsc course at lancaster this year. I know briefly what the course involves but I'm still sort of unsure. Can anyone tell me about computer science/the course? If you're studying it/have studied it before is it enjoyable etc? :smile:

Well, like everything else it depends if you have a genuine interest in how Computers work. First year will involve intermediate programming (mostly Java) and second year will focus on Software Engineering. Third year branches out to more exciting stuff such as security, hacking, internet systems, etc.

If you have no experience of Computer Science, I suggest you read into it a bit. If you want to do Computer Science just because you like computers then you are talking about IT and not Computer Science.

Personally, I hated my first year because we did a lot of advanced maths, developed algorithms, etc. But second year was when I actually started liking the course, especially when we build robot control software as part of Software Engineering. And I'm eagerly waiting for third year because it has most of the stuff I expected when I chose the course.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by HRH2
Well, like everything else it depends if you have a genuine interest in how Computers work. First year will involve intermediate programming (mostly Java) and second year will focus on Software Engineering. Third year branches out to more exciting stuff such as security, hacking, internet systems, etc.

If you have no experience of Computer Science, I suggest you read into it a bit. If you want to do Computer Science just because you like computers then you are talking about IT and not Computer Science.

Personally, I hated my first year because we did a lot of advanced maths, developed algorithms, etc. But second year was when I actually started liking the course, especially when we build robot control software as part of Software Engineering. And I'm eagerly waiting for third year because it has most of the stuff I expected when I chose the course.

Hey, I'm in your 12 and interested into going into Computer Science. Do you recommend anything I should read for beginners?
Reply 3
Currently doing my first year. The course is pretty good. Lectures are abit hit and miss, some are interesting, some are boring. (not that I ever turn up. I do not recommend this unless you know what your doing.)

So far we've covered: C, Java, algorithms, discrete maths, databases/sql, data structures, abstract data types, assembly, a bit on Linux. Plus some other stuff I can't remember.
Reply 4
Original post by yodawg321
Hey, I'm in your 12 and interested into going into Computer Science. Do you recommend anything I should read for beginners?

There's not really much text to read unless you start learning programming. IF you do, I suggest you start with Java as thats what most universities these days focus on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending