The Student Room Group

SG Spanish Help!

Hi
I am really worried about Spanish listening as all the credit past paper I do I keep failing. I have a 1 in my writing and speaking and really wanted to get a 1 overall but I am not sure if it will happen now. Has anyone got any tips or links to more past papers I could try? The exam is in 3 weeks so I am starting to panic! :frown:

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi there, I'm doing SG Spanish too and I'd say it's one of my strongest subjects! The best thing to do is revise all of the vocab you've learned throughout S3 and S4 and listen to some Spanish songs, Spanish news or films like Pan's Labyrinth. These will make the Spanish voice more familiar to you! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Don'tKnow!
Hi
I am really worried about Spanish listening as all the credit past paper I do I keep failing. I have a 1 in my writing and speaking and really wanted to get a 1 overall but I am not sure if it will happen now. Has anyone got any tips or links to more past papers I could try? The exam is in 3 weeks so I am starting to panic! :frown:

Thanks

I did SG Spanish and German last year :smile:
What I'd recommend is doing every single past paper listening there is on the sqa website. Firstly do it in exam conditions (answer the questions, listen to it 3 times etc..) Then mark it. After that listen to the whole thing through again once and finally go through it word by word - literally keep pausing it and translate it all. Write down any new vocab / phrases and learn it! If you come across a new verb, check if it's irregular or regular and learn how it conjugates.
It is really time consuming but it made such a big difference for me - you'll notice the same words and phrases coming up again and again:smile:

Another wee tip, try and let the spanish flow naturally when you're listening to it - don't sit and translate it into English in your head when you're listening. Try and get to the point where, for example, 'voy a la playa' doesn't mean 'I go to the beach' anymore but just 'voy a la playa'- each spanish word has its own meaning in your head!
I have no clue if that bit made any sense whatsoever :biggrin: but it's the way I try and think of it.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by skier16
I did SG Spanish and German last year :smile:
What I'd recommend is doing every single past paper listening there is on the sqa website. Firstly do it in exam conditions (answer the questions, listen to it 3 times etc..) Then mark it. After that listen to the whole thing through again once and finally go through it word by word - literally keep pausing it and translate it all. Write down any new vocab / phrases and learn it! If you come across a new verb, check if it's irregular or regular and learn how it conjugates.
It is really time consuming but it made such a big difference for me - you'll notice the same words and phrases coming up again and again:smile:

Another wee tip, try and let the spanish flow naturally when you're listening to it - don't sit and translate it into English in your head when you're listening. Try and get to the point where, for example, 'voy a la playa' doesn't mean 'I go to the beach' anymore but just 'voy a la playa'- each spanish word has its own meaning in your head!
I have no clue if that bit made any sense whatsoever :biggrin: but it's the way I try and think of it.

Good luck!

Thank you!
Do you recommend to do this rather than trying to learn the vocabulary book I got given by my teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Y2J97
Hi there, I'm doing SG Spanish too and I'd say it's one of my strongest subjects! The best thing to do is revise all of the vocab you've learned throughout S3 and S4 and listen to some Spanish songs, Spanish news or films like Pan's Labyrinth. These will make the Spanish voice more familiar to you! Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you!
Hopefully I will pass- just need to learn all my vocab and stop getting distracted:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you!
Do you recommend to do this rather than trying to learn the vocabulary book I got given by my teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm that's quite hard to choose! I never got given a vocab book for SG :frown: I think I'd say make sure you know key words from that like job titles etc, then just move onto doing the listening:smile:
Reply 6
Do you know if there is a website where your can get earlier past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Some school websites may have earlier ones
Hi

Thanks

don't panic tooooooo much about the listening (still work for it though!) and make sure you get a 1 in the reading because if I remember correctly, it's the reading and speaking that are double weighted. So getting a one in reading is the most important thing to do (and easier to study for) and getting a one in listening is the second most important thing to do.
Reply 9
Original post by Alisaucisson
don't panic tooooooo much about the listening (still work for it though!) and make sure you get a 1 in the reading because if I remember correctly, it's the reading and speaking that are double weighted. So getting a one in reading is the most important thing to do (and easier to study for) and getting a one in listening is the second most important thing to do.

Thanks
Do you know how they calculate your overall grade? I find reading a lot easier I did a past paper this morning and it went ok.
Thanks
Do you know how they calculate your overall grade? I find reading a lot easier I did a past paper this morning and it went ok.

say you got,
speaking- 1
writing- 1
reading- 1
listening- 3

the way they get your mark is your (speaking mark + reading mark) times by 2 then to that add on your writing and listening and divide it all by 6

(1+1)x2=4
4+1+3=8
8/6=1.333..
So overall you get a 1
Hi

Thanks

I sat SG Spanish last year and got a 1. Within the week before I got my Dad to test me on 75% of all of the vocabulary, and I did all of the general and credit past papers. General should be really easy if you're wanting a 1, and you should consistently score high marks. Listening has very low pass marks - just practise the past papers! It works very well. As for reading, make sure you time yourself. You only need a 2 in listening and reading or a 1 in reading and a 3 in listening to get a 1 overall! :smile:

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending