The Student Room Group

Was a thread about car insurance...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaLee
Yeah if you stick to what you know you'll be okay, I'm sure somewhere will insure you for a decent price. But yeah it really is, seem to be covering their backs just a little excessively.

And ah well maybe not sure a good idea haha, i have a black box so i don't do much crazy driving haha

Having the oddest day today, so many ups and downs lol. So first bit of good news, got my pink license through the post today :smile:
Then I spot a Fiat Punto in my area, £600 with full MOT. I go onto confused.com to see what sort of quote I get and Tesco have started giving me cheap quotes again :smile: Really not sure what that was about...
So I ring up the sellers of the Punto - sold 1 hour ago :frown:
I then immediately spot a Ford Fiesta with brand new MOT, cheap insurance quote :smile:
So I ring up the sellers - sold 2 hours ago :frown:

What a day so far lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Delete your internet cookies and then try again. Sites that compare prices monitor your cookies and fluctuate prices according to demand.. train ticket sites are the worst for it.
Original post by Chris_23
Delete your internet cookies and then try again. Sites that compare prices monitor your cookies and fluctuate prices according to demand.. train ticket sites are the worst for it.

I'll keep that in mind mate thanks for the tip :smile: Tesco started giving me good quotes again out of the blue without doing anything. If they go up again though I'll have to remember your tip.
I felt the same as you OP when I was costantly using comparison websites to the point where i'd average around 10-15 quotes a day for about a month or so. I'd get some 'good' quotes and then notice later that some of the insurers are no longer offering me any quotes and I had a suspicion that it was because of me doing too many quotes. (I used to fiddle with every single option, like changing named drivers, fiddling with the no claims, where the car was parked, when it was bought, the estimated value of the car etc till I got the price to the lowest I could).

I couldn't say for sure whether it was because of my excessive quote requests or whether it was completely unrelated to this, but I did notice that sometimes, some quotes would re-appear a few days/weeks later.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Having the oddest day today, so many ups and downs lol. So first bit of good news, got my pink license through the post today :smile:
Then I spot a Fiat Punto in my area, £600 with full MOT. I go onto confused.com to see what sort of quote I get and Tesco have started giving me cheap quotes again :smile: Really not sure what that was about...
So I ring up the sellers of the Punto - sold 1 hour ago :frown:
I then immediately spot a Ford Fiesta with brand new MOT, cheap insurance quote :smile:
So I ring up the sellers - sold 2 hours ago :frown:

What a day so far lol.

WOOOOO :dance:
Took me ages to get mine, i passed right before Christmas so think that's why.
But what an actual bummer about the cars ): theres still hope! somethings got to come up for you, which hasn't been sold already :smile:

and that's such an interesting think about the internet cookies, definitely going to remember that when i have to re-new, even if it is ages away haha
WOOOOO :dance:
Took me ages to get mine, i passed right before Christmas so think that's why.
But what an actual bummer about the cars ): theres still hope! somethings got to come up for you, which hasn't been sold already :smile:

and that's such an interesting think about the internet cookies, definitely going to remember that when i have to re-new, even if it is ages away haha

Only took 9 days to arrive from my pass date :biggrin: Just makes it all so real now haha. So glad Tesco are quoting me with cheap quotes again. Not gonna bother getting quotes from them at all now unless I'm really unsure about what the insurance for a particular car would be like. Just don't wanna risk them ditching me again haha.

Yeah hoping something comes up SOON, sort of wish I didn't have to rely on my uncle to take me and study the car and docs... but I do because I don't know what the hell I'm doing tbh lol. But he's pretty busy so unfortunately might miss the boat with quite a few cars before I get hold of one.

Original post by Hustler-1337
I felt the same as you OP when I was costantly using comparison websites to the point where i'd average around 10-15 quotes a day for about a month or so. I'd get some 'good' quotes and then notice later that some of the insurers are no longer offering me any quotes and I had a suspicion that it was because of me doing too many quotes. (I used to fiddle with every single option, like changing named drivers, fiddling with the no claims, where the car was parked, when it was bought, the estimated value of the car etc till I got the price to the lowest I could).

I couldn't say for sure whether it was because of my excessive quote requests or whether it was completely unrelated to this, but I did notice that sometimes, some quotes would re-appear a few days/weeks later.

Strange stuff going on ain't there mate... as I just said to Natasha, think I'm gonna avoid getting quotes until I've actually got a car. I can make an estimate as to how much it should be by looking at the year and engine size now anyways. As long as I stick with a small engine and either late 90s or early 00s then the insurance will be affordable :smile: Looking up the insurance group for a particular car is also a useful indicator, ideally don't wanna go above insurance group 5.
Only took 9 days to arrive from my pass date :biggrin: Just makes it all so real now haha. So glad Tesco are quoting me with cheap quotes again. Not gonna bother getting quotes from them at all now unless I'm really unsure about what the insurance for a particular car would be like. Just don't wanna risk them ditching me again haha.

Yeah hoping something comes up SOON, sort of wish I didn't have to rely on my uncle to take me and study the car and docs... but I do because I don't know what the hell I'm doing tbh lol. But he's pretty busy so unfortunately might miss the boat with quite a few cars before I get hold of one.

Think mine took about 4 weeks haha, it's here now though. I desperately need to change the picture off it though, it doesn't even look like me, don't know how I've managed to use it for ID haha. And yeah keep em on your good side, still strange how they go from not giving you a quote to giving you one, it's a strange ole' business haha.

Yeah i suppose, but in the long run it's probably gonna be better that he's checked out the car, i wouldn't have any idea either, i'd like oo car yes we'll have it haha. My step-dad sorted my car out because as i said, I would be useless lol. All these cars that have gone just gives you more chance of a better one coming along, can imagine how frustrating it must be though, i feel sad because I'm gonna have to get the bus to uni on Monday because my handbrakes going ): and i have to park on a hill so that wouldn't be good lol
Think mine took about 4 weeks haha, it's here now though. I desperately need to change the picture off it though, it doesn't even look like me, don't know how I've managed to use it for ID haha. And yeah keep em on your good side, still strange how they go from not giving you a quote to giving you one, it's a strange ole' business haha.

Yeah i suppose, but in the long run it's probably gonna be better that he's checked out the car, i wouldn't have any idea either, i'd like oo car yes we'll have it haha. My step-dad sorted my car out because as i said, I would be useless lol. All these cars that have gone just gives you more chance of a better one coming along, can imagine how frustrating it must be though, i feel sad because I'm gonna have to get the bus to uni on Monday because my handbrakes going ): and i have to park on a hill so that wouldn't be good lol

Christmas period is just crap for deliveries and post in general haha. I could do with a picture change to be honest, it does look like me but in it I have unmaintained, bushy eyebrows and rebelious hair. I don't know how girls at college used to fancy me, really I don't :confused:
Yeah was a pleasant surprise to be fair. Thought I'd just see what's the cheapest quote I could get after being abandoned by Tesco, only to find that they want me back and gave me a pretty nice quote for a 1.4L engine :biggrin:

Yeah on the whole I'm glad he can help me out, I would have bought the first car I had a look at not knowing that the head gasket is leaking, would have been in for a disappointment a few months down the line.
Awww that sucks... was it already a bit dodgey when you got the car or are you one of those that rip up the handbrake rather than using the button :tongue: I'm guessing there's nowhere nearby that has a flat place to park?
Christmas period is just crap for deliveries and post in general haha. I could do with a picture change to be honest, it does look like me but in it I have unmaintained, bushy eyebrows and rebelious hair. I don't know how girls at college used to fancy me, really I don't :confused:
Yeah was a pleasant surprise to be fair. Thought I'd just see what's the cheapest quote I could get after being abandoned by Tesco, only to find that they want me back and gave me a pretty nice quote for a 1.4L engine :biggrin:

Yeah on the whole I'm glad he can help me out, I would have bought the first car I had a look at not knowing that the head gasket is leaking, would have been in for a disappointment a few months down the line.
Awww that sucks... was it already a bit dodgey when you got the car or are you one of those that rip up the handbrake rather than using the button :tongue: I'm guessing there's nowhere nearby that has a flat place to park?

ay indeed, which reminds me i still have Christmas stamps left haha. and maybe thats just what they like aha, i swear i look like a boy on mine, which is very worrying considering it was worked as ID :\ hahaha. Aw at least that's another good thing to come out of today to make up for those cars, and that's pretty good that they'll insure a 1.4, I don't think id have any chance, was pushing my luck at 1.2 lol

Think i would of done the same, probably bought the first car i seen without any checks, i mean the first car we did buy we didn't take out for a drive because it was a present and my step dad didn't see the point in taking it out for a drive himself, but when he gave it to me he realized it needed a new clutch, luckily he knows a guy, so we got it done quick, for £100 not sure if that's cheap or expensive lol i know nothing, but if it'd been me i probably wouldn't of realised the clutch was going. I think the handbrake was me, i do always press the button but with parking on a hill i used to put it on that bit tighter and one day i herd a noise, but though we'll just see how it is, it never holds after i put it on extra tight so when it didn't hold (at junctions) i thought we'll just see how it is tomorrow, then i didn't go anywhere for a while but Tuesday i used it on hill and it just wouldn't hold at all -.- so i think it's definitely my fault haha, my step dad did tell me to take it down today but i just can't be bothered driving when Im suppose to be doing work, so I'll take it down on my day off Tuesday, and parking's really difficult there always fills up quite quick so think i'll just leave it, and hope it sorted soon :smile:
ay indeed, which reminds me i still have Christmas stamps left haha. and maybe thats just what they like aha, i swear i look like a boy on mine, which is very worrying considering it was worked as ID :\ hahaha. Aw at least that's another good thing to come out of today to make up for those cars, and that's pretty good that they'll insure a 1.4, I don't think id have any chance, was pushing my luck at 1.2 lol

Think i would of done the same, probably bought the first car i seen without any checks, i mean the first car we did buy we didn't take out for a drive because it was a present and my step dad didn't see the point in taking it out for a drive himself, but when he gave it to me he realized it needed a new clutch, luckily he knows a guy, so we got it done quick, for £100 not sure if that's cheap or expensive lol i know nothing, but if it'd been me i probably wouldn't of realised the clutch was going. I think the handbrake was me, i do always press the button but with parking on a hill i used to put it on that bit tighter and one day i herd a noise, but though we'll just see how it is, it never holds after i put it on extra tight so when it didn't hold (at junctions) i thought we'll just see how it is tomorrow, then i didn't go anywhere for a while but Tuesday i used it on hill and it just wouldn't hold at all -.- so i think it's definitely my fault haha, my step dad did tell me to take it down today but i just can't be bothered driving when Im suppose to be doing work, so I'll take it down on my day off Tuesday, and parking's really difficult there always fills up quite quick so think i'll just leave it, and hope it sorted soon :smile:

Yeah they must have, side-fringe with spikes on top was well in fashion at the time to be fair lol. Haha, just goes to show people who look at ID don't really look properly, they just check the DOB and that's it.
Was feeling pretty frustrated at the whole insurance thing yesterday, glad it shouldn't be a problem now. Was pretty shocked that I'd only be paying about £35 for a 1.4L SI model :eek:

Really not sure how much it costs to fix any part of a car tbh, I've got so much to learn... all my mates talk about engines and parts of cars when we go out for a drink, I usually find it boring and just end up switching off haha. Might have to actually listen in on the conversation and learn some things...
Must have been pretty scary lol, would be terrible if you were to start "preparing" the car at a junction and it just took off before you'd put the handbrake down :s-smilie:
Hope that all goes well for you then :smile: I know first hand how frustrating it is to take the bus when you've got a driving license hehe.
Reply 30
Sounds like prices just fluctuate then... Well I've got a rough estimate of how much my insurance should cost now anyways depending on the engine size and year (or rather, how much I WOULD have gotten if Tesco didn't change lol). So I'l just keep looking for specific types of cars, no more than 1.4L engine and made in either late 90s or early 00s, then just get the cheapest quote I can get once the car is paid for. My uncle reckons I could take an older quote to a similar car in the future, ring Tesco and say, you quoted me this just last month and now you're quoting me this, any chance you can drop it back down for me to keep it competitive? Might not work, but no harm in trying...

You dont have to go for an older style car to keep it cheap. My Peugeot 107 cost me £535 in insurance when i first got it, and i hadn't even passed my driving test. £20 for a full years tax and it got me up to sheffield from falmouth in cornwall on just £30 of fuel (: Yes it's a small engine but it isn't half nippy!
I don't think an old quote would work as it would be invalid, but i rang up my insurance company when my renewal came and told them i'd been given a cheaper quote by another company, so they dropped my renewal price by an extra £130 (though you need the reference number).
Diamond is cheap and insurethebox which doesn't always appear on comparison checks, is cheap (though you have to have a black box fitted with this one) so it's worth going on their websites and getting a quote.
Yeah they must have, side-fringe with spikes on top was well in fashion at the time to be fair lol. Haha, just goes to show people who look at ID don't really look properly, they just check the DOB and that's it.
Was feeling pretty frustrated at the whole insurance thing yesterday, glad it shouldn't be a problem now. Was pretty shocked that I'd only be paying about £35 for a 1.4L SI model :eek:

Really not sure how much it costs to fix any part of a car tbh, I've got so much to learn... all my mates talk about engines and parts of cars when we go out for a drink, I usually find it boring and just end up switching off haha. Might have to actually listen in on the conversation and learn some things...
Must have been pretty scary lol, would be terrible if you were to start "preparing" the car at a junction and it just took off before you'd put the handbrake down :s-smilie:
Hope that all goes well for you then :smile: I know first hand how frustrating it is to take the bus when you've got a driving license hehe.

Oh i remember those days, haha I can't remember what i did with my hair back then, did have a perm at one point tho aha. And yeah i highly doubt they look too closely, always worried they'll be like 'that's not you' haha. And yeah it's still a bit strange how they do it, but the main thing is i guess that they're back giving you quotes :smile:

And no me either, no idea about anything technical, had to get a neighbor to help me open the bonnet the other day :') And well i noticed before i started getting ready, i took my foot off the break (handbrake was on) and it rolled a tad, so i tried lifting it a little higher but yeah it didn't hold -.- I got the bus for like a whole month whilst i was changing cars, and waiting for my new one to be done (was getting a new engine and some bodywork and some other stuff) but i hadn't driven before then much so it just felt like i still hadn't got my license yet, now i think it'll feel a lot more different ):
Be interesting to see funktopus, maybe there is some sort of blacklisting that goes on for people that repeatedly quote but don't buy...

Still not quoting today. Would try confused.com but they refuse my account details and i cbb to do another quote.
Original post by Lemonzaz
You dont have to go for an older style car to keep it cheap. My Peugeot 107 cost me £535 in insurance when i first got it, and i hadn't even passed my driving test. £20 for a full years tax and it got me up to sheffield from falmouth in cornwall on just £30 of fuel (: Yes it's a small engine but it isn't half nippy!
I don't think an old quote would work as it would be invalid, but i rang up my insurance company when my renewal came and told them i'd been given a cheaper quote by another company, so they dropped my renewal price by an extra £130 (though you need the reference number).
Diamond is cheap and insurethebox which doesn't always appear on comparison checks, is cheap (though you have to have a black box fitted with this one) so it's worth going on their websites and getting a quote.

Fair enough, it's definitely mostly about engine size but I've notiec the older the car is it's slightly cheaper.
I did actually try insurethebox last week - 6 grand for a Peugeot 106 :eek:

Oh i remember those days, haha I can't remember what i did with my hair back then, did have a perm at one point tho aha. And yeah i highly doubt they look too closely, always worried they'll be like 'that's not you' haha. And yeah it's still a bit strange how they do it, but the main thing is i guess that they're back giving you quotes :smile:

And no me either, no idea about anything technical, had to get a neighbor to help me open the bonnet the other day :') And well i noticed before i started getting ready, i took my foot off the break (handbrake was on) and it rolled a tad, so i tried lifting it a little higher but yeah it didn't hold -.- I got the bus for like a whole month whilst i was changing cars, and waiting for my new one to be done (was getting a new engine and some bodywork and some other stuff) but i hadn't driven before then much so it just felt like i still hadn't got my license yet, now i think it'll feel a lot more different ):

Haha nice. I think perms look really nice when they start to drop out, dunno if that's just me...
Yeah like I said just gonna avoid quoting unless I absolutely have to, the prices they give me for fully comp insurance are several hundreds below what anyone else can offer me for TPF&T.

My brother suggested going alone to see the next car if my uncle can't go see it right away, but yeah just said I don't know WTF I'm doing, so better not risk it. Think I can manage to open a bonnet though haha :tongue:
Ooh, scary. Sounds disappointing. Starting to get a bit envious when I see people getting in and out of their cars now lol. Just hoping I feel alright with my first car, likely to feel different to a 1.4 Corsa.

Original post by thefunktopus69
Still not quoting today. Would try confused.com but they refuse my account details and i cbb to do another quote.

Weird, man... Luckily I'm getting quotes from Tesco again, like I said above though I'm gonna try and avoid getting quotes unless absolutely necessary, just in case.
Hi guys, not sure if this happens to anyone else so figured I'd ask...

Over the past month I've been scraping together money for my first car (just passed my test last week). I've been using comparison sites to get quotes on a number of different cars.
At first I used Compare The Market. I was consistently getting really decent quotes from Admiral that were far cheaper than all of the other results. However, after a week or 2 and several quotes later, they stopped quoting me. I tried getting a quote on their actual website, and the price was ridiculous despite having given them the same information.

So I switched to using Confused.com and had a similar scenario... consistently getting nice quotes from Tesco Bank that were miles cheaper than the rest. Then today whilst getting a quote, they stopped quoting me. Tried getting a quote direct from their site, and the price had almost doubled.

Do the insurers not like getting repeated quotes from the same person that hasn't yet bought, or is it just these companies deciding to raise their prices?

Every time you use a comparison site, the company will credit check you.

Admiral could have stopped quoting you because you have been doing so many quotes, that it is making your credit file worse. (As too many searches within a short period of time can ruin your credit file).

The cheapest cars to insure as a first car are cars such as Fiat Punto, Skoda, the new Corsa, or Clio's. (Fiesta's aren't that cheap as 'everyone' gets them).

Stop doing quotes until you have the money for a car. Once you have the money for a car, then only do a quote on ones you are serious about buying.

As a guide, the cheapest comparison site I found was tesco compare (gave me the cheapest Admiral quote, cheaper than the other sites).

It is important to note that prices DO fluctuate. The cheapest day to get a quote is a Monday / Tuesday.

Also, don't forget to use cash back sites before doing your comparison, as you can get up to £100 in cash back, especially from confused.com. Or some companies do cash back themselves so you can get a quote on a comparison site, take note of the quote number. Go to the cashback site, which will take you to the insurers main site, then type in your quote's code and you should get cash back that way too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Knalchemist
Admiral could have stopped quoting you because you have been doing so many quotes, that it is making your credit file worse. (As too many searches within a short period of time can ruin your credit file).

WOW. Actually had no clue, I had a pretty much perfect credit rating before I started getting quotes, hope I haven't screwed it up...

Haha nice. I think perms look really nice when they start to drop out, dunno if that's just me...
Yeah like I said just gonna avoid quoting unless I absolutely have to, the prices they give me for fully comp insurance are several hundreds below what anyone else can offer me for TPF&T.

My brother suggested going alone to see the next car if my uncle can't go see it right away, but yeah just said I don't know WTF I'm doing, so better not risk it. Think I can manage to open a bonnet though haha :tongue:
Ooh, scary. Sounds disappointing. Starting to get a bit envious when I see people getting in and out of their cars now lol. Just hoping I feel alright with my first car, likely to feel different to a 1.4 Corsa.

I preferred it when it dropped out a lot more tbh, but it was ruining my hair so now i just have it straight, well when it wants to stay straight lol. and that's pretty good, surely they should stay at that price, might even go down a bit because you'll of had you license that few extra days.

And yeah i mean there no harm looking at it, but obviously you're gonna want his thoughts before buying it, i remember my mum and step-dad were looking for cars for me for months, but they had months because i hadn't passed my test, it was going to be a Christmas present and my 'learning car' till i passed but it just so happened i did my test before Christmas, still though we didn't find a car till the 22nd December haha, suppose its just waiting till the right car comes up, you'll find one :smile: and well thats one better than me, i knew where the lever was but that was about it, im so useless with cars -.-

I think you'll be alright, because you've had to wait you'll probably be so excited to just drive it that you'll be fine (:
goo with endsleigh pay 1.500 for 1.0 corsa with 2 years driving experience and no ncb
Reply 38
Clear cookies, go in private web browser and search for quotes with a false email address.

S'what I always do.
I preferred it when it dropped out a lot more tbh, but it was ruining my hair so now i just have it straight, well when it wants to stay straight lol. and that's pretty good, surely they should stay at that price, might even go down a bit because you'll of had you license that few extra days.

And yeah i mean there no harm looking at it, but obviously you're gonna want his thoughts before buying it, i remember my mum and step-dad were looking for cars for me for months, but they had months because i hadn't passed my test, it was going to be a Christmas present and my 'learning car' till i passed but it just so happened i did my test before Christmas, still though we didn't find a car till the 22nd December haha, suppose its just waiting till the right car comes up, you'll find one :smile: and well thats one better than me, i knew where the lever was but that was about it, im so useless with cars -.-

I think you'll be alright, because you've had to wait you'll probably be so excited to just drive it that you'll be fine (:

Ah I see. I used to straighten my hair as well haha, my mates used to proper banter me about it but my GF at the time used to love it.
Yeah could do, if it takes a month to get myself a car I'll be a bit annoyed to say the least haha, but having that extra month could shave a feq quid off my premium maybe.

Yeah could go look at it myself first, I suppose the thing that puts me off is having to pay for my own travel to get there mainly.
Pretty damn good christmas pressie that :biggrin: I passed my theory just before christmas actually, certainly helped me enjoy my christmas holiday knowing I'd gotten that out of the way.
Yeah true, just really wanna get on the road now. When I failed my first test I had nearly a 2 week gap between that and my next practice lesson, drove brilliantly in that lesson because I just felt so glad about getting back in the car again. Then on the second test day I drove pretty badly lol. Should have taken my instructors advice and not bothered with any warmup lessons before the test day. I did take that advice for the next test day though, jumped into test day without driving for just over 2 weeks and ended up pulling out my best driving from the moment I got in the car to the moment I finished my test. Still happy about that one minor, but if the examiner had given me a wider road for my reverse parallel park that could very well have been 0 minors. Might have done a little tear if that had happened :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending