The Student Room Group

Peculiar problem...

Hi :-)

Just out of curiosity I decided to try and integrate e^(2x^2) because it looked quite interesting. It was surprisingly more challenging than it looked, but I got an answer - e^(2x^2) ! Im just wondering whether Ive messed up or this really is correct. Can anyone corroborate my answer please? XD Im not asking for your answer (if it's different), just a yes/no as to whether Im right, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sienne

Just out of curiosity I decided to try and integrate e^(2x^2) because it looked quite interesting. It was surprisingly more challenging than it looked, but I got an answer - e^(2x^2) ! Im just wondering whether Ive messed up or this really is correct. Can anyone corroborate my answer please? XD Im not asking for your answer (if it's different), just a yes/no as to whether Im right, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a yes/no answer?

No.

Oh I can't resist. Don't waste a lot of time trying to fix it!
Reply 2
Original post by Sienne

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not correct.

And to save your time I'll tell you that it's not possible to express the integral in terms of elementary functions, i.e. you won't be able to get an answer.

If you like you could post your working and we'll find your mistake.
Reply 3
Damn. ....I tried doing it by substitution...really dont know where to go from here :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sienne
really dont know where to go from here :-P

Try reading notnek's post more carefully?
Reply 5
Wait, so it's impossible to integrate this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Sienne
Wait, so it's impossible to integrate this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 7
Ok, thanks for the help guys :-P saved me a lot of time there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply