The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma.b
Oh my, I'd love to visit Israel! It's on my list of places to go!:smile: This year I'm going no where apart from camping....not fun! Wow, yeah I'd burn that ASAP! Maybe the guy was...confused?

Primark is good for socks, I like socks...however their blatent copying of other named-brand clothing is just beyond me...-.-
Oh good idea!
"Tell me Geek, what are the main advantages of a polarising microscope for detecting differences in fibres as opposed to a comparitive microscope, and why is this?"

I'd just get a blank stare back. I am looking forward to this!:wink:

I love camping ! its better than nothing anways :smile: hopefully it should be good although im worried im going to come back ridiculously sunburnt
Original post by Bluffroom
Afternoon

good afternoon :biggrin: and welcome
Original post by Leechayy
sadly... :frown:

Yeah. God forbid a subject try to teach you a skill. :colonhash:

Original post by Jina
Haha... We had a debate in class on whether exams are the best form of testing in schools. Guess who got the top marks? Haha I argued that they were, the counter argument was that."exams are all about memorisation" and I was like "memorisation forms the basis of knowledge... Doctors need to do it in order to... Blaah".... I agree with you! :smile:

Unfortunately, it's not a matter of opinion about whether it's something learned, or something inherent!
PDF warning.

Usually, a written exam tests what you're learning: if the curriculum is geared towards knowledge and memorisation, then that's what gets tested. There are plenty of ways to test understanding and reasoning in an exam scenario, they're just sparse at secondary school level because that's not the focus of that level of education, and it certainly looks like it's only going to get worse.

Memorisation is a key part of learning; so is understanding. Focus on the latter is woefully absent as things stand.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3583
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Bull**** it's not fair. Memorisation is a skill that you learn to use and train just like any other. :tongue:

One day, they'll be the guys you employ to clean your pool.

Lion King. :love:

I hope i have a pool...I like swimming!
I love the Lion King, I went to see it in Florida and I actually loved it!
What do you guys think of metal music?

[video="youtube;3NFfuz1_L44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NFfuz1_L44[/video]

Does it surprise you that this song is metal, and about the environment? :pierre:
cool enjoy yourself :biggrin:

thankyou :biggrin:
Back to the old avatar :moon:
good afternoon :biggrin: and welcome

How are you? And also I wasn't posting because I was at work and not because I am new. :P

Work was boring but such good crack
Original post by Bude8
Back to the old avatar :moon:

yay i like this one ... its pink ! :biggrin:
Reply 3589
Original post by Jina
I think by going up to said people who wear "Geek" tops and asking them such questions, you're sort of bringing the abuse on yourself. It's a defence they put on and you clearly know you're not going to get the correct answer to your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am restraining myself from a witty comeback however I am not the type of person to mock. The people bring it on themselves - it is the latest fad and one many people will follow even if they think they are a 'geek' or not. What I said back there was humour my dear, not something to be taken seriously. I was responding to his post on his reactions to the question not mine. Logically, I know the answers to the question, I know that the people most likely will not answer correctly and I also know I would get that kind of response.
However, like I said humour can be interpreted in very different ways and in my defense I was telling him how to deal with cruel words. By lightening up.
Thats a lesson for everyone I believe....
How are you? And also I wasn't posting because I was at work and not because I am new. :P

Work was boring but such good crack

I'm alright thanks, what about you? :smile: What job do you have by the way?:tongue:
Reply 3591
Original post by Bude8
What do you guys think of metal music?

[video="youtube;3NFfuz1_L44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NFfuz1_L44[/video]

Does it surprise you that this song is metal, and about the environment? :pierre:

I love metal :smile:
What about Another Way to Die - Disturbed? Thats about the environment too!:smile:
Original post by emma.b
I love metal :smile:
What about Another Way to Die - Disturbed? Thats about the environment too!:smile:

Really?! Awesome! :five:

Haven't heard that, will listen to it now :tongue:

What else do you listen to?
I'm alright thanks, what about you? :smile: What job do you have by the way?:tongue:

Hungry and tired.

I work at a hotel cleaning in the butler and kitchen. Its contracted this time which is awesome so i have security
Reply 3594
Original post by Bude8
Really?! Awesome! :five:

Haven't heard that, will listen to it now :tongue:

What else do you listen to?

I listen to absolutely everything! My music choices are varied...
Indie, Rock, Pop, Rap, Metal, Heavy Metal.....Electronic....Dubstep(Don't judge), Acoustic....Classical, Classic Rock...The list goes on!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emma.b
I am restraining myself from a witty comeback however I am not the type of person to mock. The people bring it on themselves - it is the latest fad and one many people will follow even if they think they are a 'geek' or not. What I said back there was humour my dear, not something to be taken seriously. I was responding to his post on his reactions to the question not mine. Logically, I know the answers to the question, I know that the people most likely will not answer correctly and I also know I would get that kind of response.
However, like I said humour can be interpreted in very different ways and in my defense I was telling him how to deal with cruel words. By lightening up.
Thats a lesson for everyone I believe....

Ummm...lesson learned?:colondollar:
Original post by emma.b
I listen to absolutely everything! My music choices are varied...
Indie, Rock, Pop, Rap, Metal, Heavy Metal.....Electronic....Dubstep( Don't judge), Acoustic....Classical, Classic Rock...The list goes on!

I usually only listen to a few songs from 1 band, or only one song from them. My current playlist has epic (film/trailer music etc), rock, metal, dubstep (not judging), and some ones that I'll consider as 'unclassifiable'

I haven't listened to my Classical playlist for a while, maybe it's time to get back.

One of my favourite Romantic period pieces; the woman playing it was almost 40 at the time of recording believe it or not!

[video="youtube;uJRHht55E1M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJRHht55E1M[/video]
Hungry and tired.

I work at a hotel cleaning in the butler and kitchen. Its contracted this time which is awesome so i have security

Cool, are they all like buff and 6 foot? :tongue:
Reply 3598
Ummm...lesson learned?:colondollar:

Wasn't aimed at you sweetie, I can be quite sharp when I want to be though!

All is grand, I don't discriminate...
Reply 3599
Original post by Bude8
I usually only listen to a few songs from 1 band, or only one song from them. My current playlist has epic (film/trailer music etc), rock, metal, dubstep (not judging), and some ones that I'll consider as 'unclassifiable'

I haven't listened to my Classical playlist for a while, maybe it's time to get back.

One of my favourite Romantic period pieces; the woman playing it was almost 40 at the time of recording believe it or not!

[video="youtube;uJRHht55E1M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJRHht55E1M[/video]

Woo music fwends!:wink: That is actually beautiful Bude, I love it!
I love when my singing teacher picks songs from the Romantic Period to sing! She picked out a beautiful one by Elgar a few weeks ago that I have to learn!

Latest