The Student Room Group

OCR Biology Unit 2

Hi all, I'm a bit stuck on health issues, particularly those linked with smoking. Could someone please :smile: explain the effects of nicotine, carcinogens, carbon monoxide etc.? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by TheStudent1289
Hi all, I'm a bit stuck on health issues, particularly those linked with smoking. Could someone please :smile: explain the effects of nicotine, carcinogens, carbon monoxide etc.? Thanks!

Carcinogens cause cancer.
CO has a higher affinity for haemoglobin than oxygen and so binds preferentially.
Nicotine is an addictive substance. It is a stimulant and so increases blood pressure. It also causes people to be addicted to smoking which causes many health problems such as those above.
Original post by TheStudent1289

From what I remember: cigarette smoke contains carcinogens that mutate the genes of abnormal cells. The cells start to divide uncontrollably to give cancerous growths or tumors. The Bronchi becomes blocked by cancerous growths. The symptoms; Coughing up blood, weight loss and shortness of breath.

RIP

Quick Reply

Latest