The Student Room Group

Is living in halls during placement year a bad idea

I'm thinking it will be so much easier as I don't have people to move into a house with and I can be right in the city center. I have been told that I can ask to be put with people of my age and maybe also on placements?

Some have the option to live in a self contained flat which seems great but I don't want to be a loner. Any help would be great :smile:
Original post by geminii
I'm thinking it will be so much easier as I don't have people to move into a house with and I can be right in the city center. I have been told that I can ask to be put with people of my age and maybe also on placements?

Some have the option to live in a self contained flat which seems great but I don't want to be a loner. Any help would be great :smile:

No way, it sounds like a great idea to me! I'd want to keep the social life side of things.
Reply 2
I think it's a good idea - especially if everybody else is on placements. I know a lot of people who moved into NHS accommodation for their medical degree and loved it!
Reply 3
I think it's a good idea - especially if everybody else is on placements. I know a lot of people who moved into NHS accommodation for their medical degree and loved it!
Reply 4
I think it depends on what your placement is and how noise affects you.

I've been on a placement year this year and working 8-6 but often went into the office earlier to get work done. I would have been really stuck if I lived in halls and they were as noisy as I remember them being in my first and second years regarding sleeping.

I would go for a self contained flat. You won't be a loner as you can meet and talk to other people in flats, and if your on placement you'll meet tonnes of people who you work with.

Are there other students on placement with you? When I found out I got on the placement I asked their HR department to give me the contact details of the other students who had got placements so I could talk to them about moving to the area and possibly getting a shared house. Perhaps this could be an option?

Quick Reply

Latest