Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Fine Art Newcastle 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by RainJayne
A bit weird to ask isn't it, "Hello, have we spoken briefly on an internet forum before?" haha, oh you'll be fine! Once you get your offer you'll wonder why you were even worried! Who interviewed you?
I've applied for Marris House, Windsor Terrace and St Marys College as my top 3, then I can't remember which I've put as my second preference option, I'm hoping it won't come to my 4th/5th/6th choice haha. Though Marris House and Windsor Terrace tend to get filled up with unconditional, deferred and international offers, so I think St Marys is the most likely. How about you? :smile:

Also. I was interviewed by the head of first years and a younger man. They were lovely! And really seemed to like the connection I have made between art and science in a lot of my work. What worries me though is that I came out and realised we hadn't talked about any of my self initiated work....oh well. Haha, if I get rejected because of that I will be like; "it was there I PROMISE" haha!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Maryjjane
Hahaha! I know! I was looking at Windsor terrace and castle court but because its quite late, I doubt I will get into either of them...hahaha. I definitely do not want to end up at leazes though. Haha. I think I'm gonna have to wait and see if I get an offer in order to not tempt fait! Haha!

Leazes doesn't have a great reputation does it, haha. Worst nightmare is catered! :P

Also. I was interviewed by the head of first years and a younger man. They were lovely! And really seemed to like the connection I have made between art and science in a lot of my work. What worries me though is that I came out and realised we hadn't talked about any of my self initiated work....oh well. Haha, if I get rejected because of that I will be like; "it was there I PROMISE" haha!

Ahh brill! :smile: Sciencey art is really exciting at the moment, bet they'll be begging you to go there! I completely forgot about the self initiated stuff haha. I guess they would have asked you about it if they thought it was important, maybe they were just really interested in your work as a whole and didn't think it was necessary to ask. :smile:
Reply 42
Leazes doesn't have a great reputation does it, haha. Worst nightmare is catered! :P

Ahh brill! :smile: Sciencey art is really exciting at the moment, bet they'll be begging you to go there! I completely forgot about the self initiated stuff haha. I guess they would have asked you about it if they thought it was important, maybe they were just really interested in your work as a whole and didn't think it was necessary to ask. :smile:

i hope so! haha. I think that Windsor terrace would be brilliant...its the closest to the department! Who interviewed you? :smile: I came out and was like: that was the best interview i have had...but now I keep thinking over everything i said and doubting everything! hahaha. hopefully everything will be fine! :smile: What's your work like?
Reply 43
i hope so! haha. I think that Windsor terrace would be brilliant...its the closest to the department! Who interviewed you? :smile: I came out and was like: that was the best interview i have had...but now I keep thinking over everything i said and doubting everything! hahaha. hopefully everything will be fine! :smile: What's your work like?

It is so close to everything, fingers crossed! I can't remember what her position was, she had short curly hair and was very smiley, with a guy too, might have been the same person who interviewed you. Go with your gut, if your immediate reaction was that it was the best interview you've ever had, chances are, it was! :biggrin:
Erm, gosh, recently I've been looking at decaying urban surfaces and found objects and their pre-existing meanings. Often social and political themes and usually involving some kind of subtle mathsy element too, sequencing or statistics, like the image below, made that in December-ish. (I just learnt how to include images! oooh!)
8358849854_17cd86022d_z.jpg
Reply 44
It is so close to everything, fingers crossed! I can't remember what her position was, she had short curly hair and was very smiley, with a guy too, might have been the same person who interviewed you. Go with your gut, if your immediate reaction was that it was the best interview you've ever had, chances are, it was! :biggrin:
Erm, gosh, recently I've been looking at decaying urban surfaces and found objects and their pre-existing meanings. Often social and political themes and usually involving some kind of subtle mathsy element too, sequencing or statistics, like the image below, made that in December-ish. (I just learnt how to include images! oooh!)
8358849854_17cd86022d_z.jpg

COOL! not gonna lie, thats amazzzzinng. My work is more drawing and painting based, but I have done some ceramics too. I am really into portraiture...but I like my work to incorporate a surreal or quite abstract element. :smile: My work at the moment is about the impact of colour and I am doing butterfly prints...(where you fold the surface in half to create a mirror image) and they are sort of landscape/skyscape based. :smile:
Reply 45
I still haven't even heard since the portfolio submission in March, I handed it in before the deadline and in person. This is driving me insane! I just want to know if they've rejected me then I can just accept Northumbria, but now its Easter so it might take even longer. I haven't heard anything bad or good.
Reply 46
Original post by Chappers-x
I still haven't even heard since the portfolio submission in March, I handed it in before the deadline and in person. This is driving me insane! I just want to know if they've rejected me then I can just accept Northumbria, but now its Easter so it might take even longer. I haven't heard anything bad or good.

I wouldn't worry too much, they took 7 weeks to get back to me at that stage. and they interview until the end of the month! :smile: I haven't heard since my interview and want to hear sooooonnnn! Maybe Easter has held them up too! :smile:

I STILL havent heard either, i sent my portfolio to them at the start of february. Nice to know it's not only me! I'm starting to give up on them to be honest, I have all my other offers in...
Reply 48
Original post by Lauren_will
I STILL havent heard either, i sent my portfolio to them at the start of february. Nice to know it's not only me! I'm starting to give up on them to be honest, I have all my other offers in...

Feeling the same as you...getting bored of everyone else firming!! I wish they would hurry up, I just want to apply for accommodation etc...
Original post by gonzoman
Feeling the same as you...getting bored of everyone else firming!! I wish they would hurry up, I just want to apply for accommodation etc...

I am very tempted to cancel my application for Newcastle so I can firm my other choice. Not even 100% I'd want to go there, mostly because it's so much further away compared to my other choices (I live in Manchester, so it's about 3 hours on the train) & the 4th year of the course. I just want to know where I'm going next year now so I can start looking forward to it more!
Reply 50
Original post by Lauren_will
I am very tempted to cancel my application for Newcastle so I can firm my other choice. Not even 100% I'd want to go there, mostly because it's so much further away compared to my other choices (I live in Manchester, so it's about 3 hours on the train) & the 4th year of the course. I just want to know where I'm going next year now so I can start looking forward to it more!

Original post by gonzoman

Finally found out today! And after ALL that, I got an unsuccessful, which I'm quite surprised about tbh cause I'm doing foundation. But nevermind cause it finally means I can accept Northumbria which I love so its okay (:
Hope y'all hear soon

xxx
Reply 51
Finally found out today! And after ALL that, I got an unsuccessful, which I'm quite surprised about tbh cause I'm doing foundation. But nevermind cause it finally means I can accept Northumbria which I love so its okay (:
Hope y'all hear soon

xxx

Glad you found out! I am still waiting. I would definitely go if I got a place, but if I don't, its not the end of the world! It is my absolute top choice though. :smile: x
Reply 52
COOL! not gonna lie, thats amazzzzinng. My work is more drawing and painting based, but I have done some ceramics too. I am really into portraiture...but I like my work to incorporate a surreal or quite abstract element. :smile: My work at the moment is about the impact of colour and I am doing butterfly prints...(where you fold the surface in half to create a mirror image) and they are sort of landscape/skyscape based. :smile:

Haha, thank you! Oooh, sounds really cool! :smile: Do you really enjoy 2D or would you think of venturing into other areas like sculpture/installation/performance etc at uni? :smile:
Reply 53
Haha, thank you! Oooh, sounds really cool! :smile: Do you really enjoy 2D or would you think of venturing into other areas like sculpture/installation/performance etc at uni? :smile:

I definitely want to venture into those areas! I really want to challenge myself, I have done quite a lot of work with clay, but not much else in the sculpture department. I have also done some small work where I made PVA glue look like skin.:smile: Still haven't heard though! :/ haha. You know where you are definitely going accommodation wise? :smile:
Reply 54
What did you guys wear for the interview laid back style or? :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Grace222
What did you guys wear for the interview laid back style or? :smile:

I wore my everyday clothes, loose fitting black top and a casual maxi skirt, just wear what you feel comfortable and confident in! I've seen people at interview with jeans/jumper combo and people wearing pretty summer dresses, don't think you can go too wrong. :smile:
Reply 56
I definitely want to venture into those areas! I really want to challenge myself, I have done quite a lot of work with clay, but not much else in the sculpture department. I have also done some small work where I made PVA glue look like skin.:smile: Still haven't heard though! :/ haha. You know where you are definitely going accommodation wise? :smile:

Ahh, good old PVA glue! That sounds cool :smile: That's why I've loved foundation year, plenty of chance to explore new stuff! Newcastle area really good for that in first year apparently, encouraging you to explore media :smile:
Did they tell you in your interview how long it might take? You can probably email/ring and politely ask if there is a date you will hear from them by, I did the same with Brighton and they emailed me the next day telling me that UCAS is all backlogging but offered me a place in that email! They'll be happy to help you, at least give you an estimated time you'll have heard by hopefully.
I won't know until June, have to submit my certificate to show I've completed my foundation course and they'll process it then. Still hoping for Marris/Windsor but it's far more likely I'll get St Marys (which I'd be quite happy with!).
Reply 57
Ahh, good old PVA glue! That sounds cool :smile: That's why I've loved foundation year, plenty of chance to explore new stuff! Newcastle area really good for that in first year apparently, encouraging you to explore media :smile:
Did they tell you in your interview how long it might take? You can probably email/ring and politely ask if there is a date you will hear from them by, I did the same with Brighton and they emailed me the next day telling me that UCAS is all backlogging but offered me a place in that email! They'll be happy to help you, at least give you an estimated time you'll have heard by hopefully.
I won't know until June, have to submit my certificate to show I've completed my foundation course and they'll process it then. Still hoping for Marris/Windsor but it's far more likely I'll get St Marys (which I'd be quite happy with!).

I phoned about 2 weeks ago and they said to wait 2 weeks! haha! I don't want them to get annoyed haha! But I have to hear soon anyway!
Yeah, they seemed to really like it but i think i must be on a maybe pile or something because I haven't been rejected but I also haven't been accepted to they may just be waiting to see how many places....well at least thats what i hope! :smile:
Reply 58
I phoned about 2 weeks ago and they said to wait 2 weeks! haha! I don't want them to get annoyed haha! But I have to hear soon anyway!
Yeah, they seemed to really like it but i think i must be on a maybe pile or something because I haven't been rejected but I also haven't been accepted to they may just be waiting to see how many places....well at least thats what i hope! :smile:

Oh my! :eek: universities can be a pain in the arse when you're waiting haha, it has to be soon though, they can't miss UCAS deadlines, perhaps you're right. Definitely post on here when you hear from them, I shall keep my fingers crossed for you! :smile:
Reply 59
got my offer on the spot at my interview, just firmed and applied for ricky road and castle leazes. see yall in september hopefully!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending