The Student Room Group

Why are maths entry requirements so high?

By that I mean why have they BECOME so high...I remember only 2-3 years ago when I was looking at university websites, grade requirements were noticeably lower. What's even more striking is the entry requirements from like 2006/2008ish (by looking at old maths forums)...I do Maths and Further Maths at A level and so regularly use past papers which go as far back as 2005, they are no harder, if anything they are marginally easier, boundaries also being the same, or lower!

So what is going on? Why have requirements shot up so much?

I've seen top unis asking for A*A*A now, but apparently ABB before!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I believe it is in part due to the increasing number of applicants, and the greater emphasis on education being important in society so there are a higher number of candidates achieving the entry requirements but the number of spaces hasn't quite scaled adequately enough. Also the introduction of A* last year created a new way for universities to identify the higher attainer.

edit: That all applies to maths. look at other courses with ABB requirements from a few years back, a lot are AAA or higher now depending on the university you're looking at.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
A*A*A isn't all that different from historical ABB. Remember, the A* grade was only introduced last year.
Original post by 1on4
A*A*A isn't all that different from historical ABB. Remember, the A* grade was only introduced last year.

The A* grade was introduced 3 years ago and I agree there is not much difference between the two
Reply 4
Original post by Galileo Galilei
The A* grade was introduced 3 years ago and I agree there is not much difference between the two

Goodness, is it really 3 years ago? You can tell it's been a while since I was at school :wink:
Original post by 1on4
Goodness, is it really 3 years ago? You can tell it's been a while since I was at school :wink:

Yup its 3 :wink:
Reply 6
In the case of Oxford, they upped the standard offer to A*A*A because practically everyone who was given an offer ended up with A*A* in Maths/Further. Genuinely, I think if someone isn't capable of getting A*A* in Maths/Further they'd probably struggle to get through first year at a top university for maths.
Reply 7
Original post by 1on4

You make no sense, I could grab some 06 papers right now, using 06 grade boundaries and would score exactly the same ums as I do in 12/13 papers...yet the grade requirements are a lot higher now than they were in 06.
Reply 8
Original post by TheGuy117
You make no sense, I could grab some 06 papers right now, using 06 grade boundaries and would score exactly the same ums as I do in 12/13 papers...yet the grade requirements are a lot higher now than they were in 06.

Grade boundaries are irrelevant. If Uni's currently want A*A*A they are asking for 2 of the top grade possible, and 1 of the second best grade. In 2006, Universities were asking for 1 of the top grade, and 2 of the second best grade. As I said, not a lot of difference.
Reply 9
Original post by 1on4
Grade boundaries are irrelevant. If Uni's currently want A*A*A they are asking for 2 of the top grade possible, and 1 of the second best grade. In 2006, Universities were asking for 1 of the top grade, and 2 of the second best grade. As I said, not a lot of difference.

The A* doesn't demote the grades below it, that would be pointless -_-

I don't think you understand how the A* changes things, it's not like those who were getting A would get A*s and those who were getting Bs would get As now....the A* simply splits "A grade students"...people in 06 who got Bs would get Bs now...people who got As would get As now, people who got high As would now get A*s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Wait a minute. If you said exams are marginally easier, by definition shouldn't the requirements go up if more people get A's? What about the fact that more and more people are doing maths than ever before?
Reply 11
Original post by Namige
Wait a minute. If you said exams are marginally easier, by definition shouldn't the requirements go up if more people get A's? What about the fact that more and more people are doing maths than ever before?

I said the old exams were marginally easier, so no. I thought about a surge in maths applicants too, but really? Enough to rocket requirements that much in 7 years?
Reply 12
I said the old exams were marginally easier, so no. I thought about a surge in maths applicants too, but really? Enough to rocket requirements that much in 7 years?
Yes. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/maths-reform/9975036/Lack-of-further-maths-A-Level-costs-pupils-places-at-top-universities-Minister.html

Also since university fees are up, people want to get their money's worth when doing a degree so they will choose harder subjects.
By that I mean why have they BECOME so high...I remember only 2-3 years ago when I was looking at university websites, grade requirements were noticeably lower. What's even more striking is the entry requirements from like 2006/2008ish (by looking at old maths forums)...I do Maths and Further Maths at A level and so regularly use past papers which go as far back as 2005, they are no harder, if anything they are marginally easier, boundaries also being the same, or lower!

So what is going on? Why have requirements shot up so much?

I've seen top unis asking for A*A*A now, but apparently ABB before!

I think most students have generally become better at passing exams since more exams have been introduced into the system over this period. Also, the grades have been inflated due to rising competition ratios. Imagine if you were a university admissions tutor and you had 10 places to give away and all candidates had similar grades-quite tough to select the best candidates hence the introduction of A* grades, step exams, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest