The Student Room Group

How to integrate (tan x)^(n+2) + (tan x) ^n

HI,

this really tricky question popped up during my practice exam and believe me is the first one of its kind that I would have to seek your kind help for:

Please consider the question in the picture and explain in detail (in step by step manner). How to solve it.

math_image.jpg

Thank you...
Reply 1
Factorise. Make a substitution. What do you see?
Reply 2
Original post by methewthomson
HI,

this really tricky question popped up during my practice exam and believe me is the first one of its kind that I would have to seek your kind help for:

Please consider the question in the picture and explain in detail (in step by step manner). How to solve it.

math_image.jpg

Thank you...

Can you post all your working?
HI,

math_image.jpg

Thank you...

It's not really tricky at all. Do what you usually do with the substitution, and note that

tann+2x=tannx×tan2x\tan^{n+2} x = \tan^n x \times \tan^2 x

You should know an identity involving tan squared that you can use.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Can you post all your working?

Thanks everyone for replying.

Here is my working in this picture, so please magnify it by clicking on it. As you can see, my answer turns out to be zero while it is not the correct answer. Please consider my working and point out where I am wrong....thanks.:smile:
image.jpg
Reply 5

Here is my working in this picture, so please magnify it by clicking on it. As you can see, my answer turns out to be zero while it is not the correct answer. Please consider my working and point out where I am wrong....thanks.:smile:
image.jpg

Haven't read the whole thing, but for starters sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x), not 1 - tan^2(x)...

EDIT: More pointers.

If you factorise tan^(n+2)(x) + tan^n(x) = tan^n(x)[1 + tan^2(x)], and you know that 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) = du/dx, then:

(tan^(n+2)(x) + tan^n(x))dx = u*du. Now you've got an easy integral.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CocoPop
Haven't read the whole thing, but for starters sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x), not 1 - tan^2(x)...

EDIT: More pointers.

If you factorise tan^(n+2)(x) + tan^n(x) = tan^n(x)[1 + tan^2(x)], and you know that 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) = du/dx, then:

(tan^(n+2)(x) + tan^n(x))dx = u*du. Now you've got an easy integral.

Do you think unduu^n\cdot du ?

image.jpg

Mistake on 4th line.

Note that:

un+1du=u(n+1)+1n+1+1+K=un+2n+2+K\displaystyle \int u^{n+1} du = \dfrac{u^{(n+1)+1}}{n+1+1} + K = \dfrac{ u^{n+2}}{n+2} + K
Reply 8
sin2x+cos2x=1 sin^2x+cos^2x = 1

tan2x+1=sec2x\Rightarrow tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x

Not 1tan2x 1-tan^2x
Reply 9
Original post by ztibor
Do you think unduu^n\cdot du ?

Yup, my bad.
Original post by Bushido Brown
Mistake on 4th line.

Note that:

un+1du=u(n+1)+1n+1+1+K=un+2n+2+K\displaystyle \int u^{n+1} du = \dfrac{u^{(n+1)+1}}{n+1+1} + K = \dfrac{ u^{n+2}}{n+2} + K

Thank you so very much for actually pointing out the big error....you have helped me a lot. I suppose now I will solve the whole question correctly...
To everyone here who tried to help me :THANK YOU:smile:

It was indeed very kind of you all....

Quick Reply

Latest