The Student Room Group

Electrochemistry/Electrolysis

I have a choice of two primers (Oxford Chemistry Primers) to buy to concern myself with different points of electrochemistry and was wondering which topics will fit into which of the two general categories. One primer is focused on "Electrode Potentials" and the other on "Electrode Dynamics". Some topics it's obvious where they will fall (e.g. Nernst equation, all equilibrium matters, standard cell potential, dependence of cell potential and standard cell potential on reaction quotient Q, will all be "Electrode Potentials") but with the following I'm not sure:

Faraday's laws of electrolysis
Electrolytic and metallic conduction, electrolytic transference, conductance in electrolytic solutions, specific, equivalent and molar conductivities and their variation with concentration : Kohlrausch’s law and its applications. Polarization.
Electrochemical cells Electrolytic and Galvanic cells, different types of electrodes, half cell
Dry cell and lead accumulator;
Fuel cells.

Which of these is classed under "Electrode Potentials" and which under "Electrode Dynamics"? I'm talking about the general fields of study (we can assume the texts are more than advanced enough to cover these topics).
Reply 1
Original post by Big-Daddy
I have a choice of two primers (Oxford Chemistry Primers) to buy to concern myself with different points of electrochemistry and was wondering which topics will fit into which of the two general categories. One primer is focused on "Electrode Potentials" and the other on "Electrode Dynamics". Some topics it's obvious where they will fall (e.g. Nernst equation, all equilibrium matters, standard cell potential, dependence of cell potential and standard cell potential on reaction quotient Q, will all be "Electrode Potentials") but with the following I'm not sure:

Faraday's laws of electrolysis
Electrolytic and metallic conduction, electrolytic transference, conductance in electrolytic solutions, specific, equivalent and molar conductivities and their variation with concentration : Kohlrausch’s law and its applications. Polarization.
Electrochemical cells Electrolytic and Galvanic cells, different types of electrodes, half cell
Dry cell and lead accumulator;
Fuel cells.

Which of these is classed under "Electrode Potentials" and which under "Electrode Dynamics"? I'm talking about the general fields of study (we can assume the texts are more than advanced enough to cover these topics).

compton's electrode potential primer would be useful for beginning learner in electrochemistry. Nonetheless, the primers are all useful to different people at different stages; by all means, get both if you can afford to. but if you are going to oxbridge, their college libraries would have copies of these anyway, so no point in buying texts.
Reply 2
Original post by shengoc
compton's electrode potential primer would be useful for beginning learner in electrochemistry. Nonetheless, the primers are all useful to different people at different stages; by all means, get both if you can afford to. but if you are going to oxbridge, their college libraries would have copies of these anyway, so no point in buying texts.

If you have any experience of the "Electrode Potentials" primer, can you tell me which of these topics it covers and which I might have to find elsewhere (referring to the list in my first post)? This would inform my decision of whether or not it's worth buying it. And no, I do not have access to them in any library.
Reply 3
If you have any experience of the "Electrode Potentials" primer, can you tell me which of these topics it covers and which I might have to find elsewhere (referring to the list in my first post)? This would inform my decision of whether or not it's worth buying it. And no, I do not have access to them in any library.

nope, no experience with electrode dynamics primer.
Reply 4
Original post by shengoc
nope, no experience with electrode dynamics primer.

Yet you still said "compton's electrode potential primer would be useful for beginning learner in electrochemistry" :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Yet you still said "compton's electrode potential primer would be useful for beginning learner in electrochemistry" :rolleyes:

Compton's lecture notes are always very throughly hand-written and very informative. Based on personal experiences and perhaps a little bit of bias, I'd say Compton's book would complement the other primer well. Pardon me if I have misled you.:biggrin:

but then what i define as a good book might not be for other people. you see, different people, different perspectives, different taste.
Reply 6
Original post by shengoc
Compton's lecture notes are always very throughly hand-written and very informative. Based on personal experiences and perhaps a little bit of bias, I'd say Compton's book would complement the other primer well. Pardon me if I have misled you.:biggrin:

but then what i define as a good book might not be for other people. you see, different people, different perspectives, different taste.

OK, no problem, I will go for Electrode Potentials and hope that covers most of what I've listed.

Quick Reply

Latest