The Student Room Group

need some help in core 2: exercise 11D: question 8 on page 168

the question reads:

the diagram shows part of a sketch of the curve with equation y=2/x^2+x. the points A and B have x-coordinates 1/2 and 2 respectively. find the area of the finite region between AB and the curve.
Reply 1
Original post by GabJul
the question reads:

the diagram shows part of a sketch of the curve with equation y=2/x^2+x. the points A and B have x-coordinates 1/2 and 2 respectively. find the area of the finite region between AB and the curve.

What are your thoughts?
I'm gonna guess that this might be your problem

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
A and B I assume are points on the curve?
Reply 3
Original post by GabJul
the question reads:

is that 2x2+x\frac{2}{x^2+x} ?
Reply 4
yes, which intersect with the line .. substituting each x value in the original equation, the y values for A and B would be 17/2 and 5/2 respectively
Reply 5
no y=(2/x^2) +2
Reply 6
Original post by GabJul
yes, which intersect with the line .. substituting each x value in the original equation, the y values for A and B would be 17/2 and 5/2 respectively

Ok, so how would you find the equation of the line AB? Using the x and y coordinates?
Reply 7
i would think using m= (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and then y-y1=m(x-x1) ?
Reply 8
Original post by GabJul
i would think using m= (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and then y-y1=m(x-x1) ?

Good, so having done that, would you be able then to complete the question? :smile:
Reply 9
i did it! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by GabJul
i did it! :smile:

Good. Well done, Repped :smile:
Reply 11
thanks, repped ?

Quick Reply

Latest