The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahiscool
don't worry i didnt do much of that, and im still only half way through my holiday homework :s-smilie:

I haven't checked my holiday homework :s-smilie:
Original post by Bluffroom
What did you invest in? :holmes:

I think I would rather be safe and just work for it. I have a plan in mind for my money so I am determined to save up as much as I can and tbh as quickly as I can.

I shorted AAPL(Apple) and was long on GOOG(Google)and picked up a little C(Citigroup) then dropped it. Held those positions for 3 months then when BBY(Blackberry) announced their new phone I shorted it and left it fall a fair amount(about 3 weeks). Just two weeks ago I went long on both SNE(Sony) and EBAY
Sorry for the technical speak. Basically here's a quick glossary.

Long = Buy

Short = is borrow to sell Used when the stock falls
Original post by Princepieman
I shorted AAPL(Apple) and was long on GOOG(Google)and picked up a little C(Citigroup) then dropped it. Held those positions for 3 months then when BBY(Blackberry) announced their new phone I shorted it and left it fall a fair amount(about 3 weeks). Just two weeks ago I went long on both SNE(Sony) and EBAY

Ah okay. I tbh would be unlucky and cause a crash knowing me :lol:
Sorry for the technical speak. Basically here's a quick glossary.

Long = Buy

Short = is borrow to sell Used when the stock falls

Interestingly, I knew this already -don't know how or why I do but I did. Strange :holmes:
Reply 3664
Original post by Bluffroom
Ikr

He NEEDS to go outside.

I'm more recoiling in cringe

Hmm I dno how much i have in my savings account but currently I only have £100 saved :sigh:

Haha
Reply 3665

Ooh I'd like to do that how can I invest:biggrin:
Original post by EduWiz
Ooh I'd like to do that how can I invest:biggrin:

Ohh I have the best site for all you noobs out there: http://www.etoro.com/
You can essentially follow, and track professional traders and whatever trades they make your account will do the same. Good way to learn from the pros! Minimum investment is £600 or so though.

To start, I recommend you go to Investopedia.com, so you learn a thing or two before you squander money. Once done, go to a brokerage website (search stock brokerage online on google) and sign up for a PRACTICE account to see if you are good enough. After you've gotten a good feel for the market, you can open up an account with real money and use that to buy and sell stocks.
Reply 3667
You can essentially follow, and track professional traders and whatever trades they make your account will do the same. Good way to learn from the pros! Minimum investment is £600 or so though.

To start, I recommend you go to Investopedia.com, so you learn a thing or two before you squander money. Once done, go to a brokerage website (search stock brokerage online on google) and sign up for a PRACTICE account to see if you are good enough. After you've gotten a good feel for the market, you can open up an account with real money and use that to buy and sell stocks.

Hah ok thanks but can the investment be lower than £600++how old do you have to be to invest
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3668
I'm might start investing+++++ where do you invest(sorry im a noob)
Hi, I'm Bonoahx... in case you didn't know. I have no idea how to get into this thread so I'll just say hi and join in the latest conversation.

So yeah, I thought that you couldn't invest at 15/16 because you had to sign a contract? Do you use a stocks and shares ISA or something?

How long did it take for you to learn how to invest?
Reply 3671
Original post by Bonoahx
Hi, I'm Bonoahx... in case you didn't know. I have no idea how to get into this thread so I'll just say hi and join in the latest conversation.

So yeah, I thought that you couldn't invest at 15/16 because you had to sign a contract? Do you use a stocks and shares ISA or something?

HI:hi: Welcome
Reply 3672
So what website do you use to invest?:smile:
Wooooo!!! Go investing!

Well, SNE right now is at 36.3% and I'm hoping it rises to around ~38% then I will sell, if my gut feeling changes then I'll probably sell before it reaches that.

Yeah, BBRY was pretty immense, great opportunity for some quick dough!

I've never really looked into commodities but I think I might long some gold as a safety measure for longer term stability. How did you get into investing and what type of volume are we talking here? Have any particular strategies?

My iPad is doing things again...
My dad used to trade stocks a lot! So I know a tiny tiny tiny bit (I know nothing)

Anyone here remember Rio Tinto? And one day their shares sky rocketed in value... Dad didn't sell then :redface:
Original post by Elm Tree
How long did it take for you to learn how to invest?

I played around with some simulators for a good six months before trying some real money. The thing is, you will lose money. So it's better to start off getting to grips with the markets, watching Bloomberg and CNBC etc... Really just testing out the waters by buying a few stocks in familiar companies and watching how it moves and based off of those movements you could speculate where it would go to next. It's a skill, just like with any other skill, it takes practice, practice, practice and a lot of tough skin.

My iPad is doing things again...
Reply 3676
So what website do you use to invest? ???
Do you do any Forex?
Original post by EduWiz
HI:hi: Welcome

Thank you!

I doubt my parents would agree to that, they don't really think there's anything in it from what I've heard. I may as well open up some ISAs when I'm old enough, I have my NI number but only £50 lol so it's probably not worth it.
Reply 3679
Which game should i choose (investopedia simulation)

Latest