The Student Room Group

fav alevel subject, why?

Scroll to see replies

Biology- just finding it so interesting especially the human stuff where your like 'omg I never knew that how e.g. the nervous system worked' Its like your learning and finding out more about yourself at the same time which is rather cool :tongue:

..I hate the exams though :angry:
Original post by srhc24
I did D1 for maths at the same time as D2 for f maths, D2 is much easier and slightly less tedious XD
oh wow, you're doing FP2 for AS? your maths department sounds a lot more fun than mine, my AS only involved one FP module :frown:
ah, that's annoying, I'd much rather teach myself maths than physics!

I actually find D1 okay, I taught myself pretty much the whole syllabus last week because I had avoided it and my exam is in a month or so XD Yeah, I don't think the people that do the AS in year 12 get to do FP2, but because I'd already done AS maths when I started f maths they let us do FP2 :smile: Yeah, physics is hard to teach yourself, especially when your teacher teaches you the wrong things so you have to unteach yourself them first! XD
Reply 82
Original post by Anime Lover
I actually find D1 okay, I taught myself pretty much the whole syllabus last week because I had avoided it and my exam is in a month or so XD Yeah, I don't think the people that do the AS in year 12 get to do FP2, but because I'd already done AS maths when I started f maths they let us do FP2 :smile: Yeah, physics is hard to teach yourself, especially when your teacher teaches you the wrong things so you have to unteach yourself them first! XD

oh I hated D1 with a passion, like I know how to order numbers instantly in my head I don't need a bubble sort ;D
ah yeah, there's a lot of C4 in FP2 so I don't think it would be possible if you weren't an A2 maths student :P
If I were you I'd just constantly complain to the head of subject/principal/form tutor. I hate teachers that are like that, why become a teacher if you're not gonna teach the students? XD
Reply 83
I really enjoy all my subjects to be honest apart from maths but i do it because it could be incredibly useful in the long run. English lit is great if you like the creative side and you only get one essay every two weeks so its not as relentless as something like history, but music is my fave subject, love the variety, hopefully going to study it!
Reply 84
Maths.

Requires the least work and least effort relative to my other subjects. It's the subject with the most relaxed lectures -- we listen to music, eat and drink coffee. We turn up 15mins late and then the lecturer comes in 5 minutes later too which is great!
After we learn the concepts we just chat, have paper ball fights, paper-plane flying competitions etc.
For me, it's also the most intellectually interesting subject I am studying. We often talk about philosophical implications of some mathematical laws/concepts with the lecturers and show real-life uses of what we learn.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Chemistry! Because it's awesome :wink:
Original post by srhc24
oh I hated D1 with a passion, like I know how to order numbers instantly in my head I don't need a bubble sort ;D
ah yeah, there's a lot of C4 in FP2 so I don't think it would be possible if you weren't an A2 maths student :P
If I were you I'd just constantly complain to the head of subject/principal/form tutor. I hate teachers that are like that, why become a teacher if you're not gonna teach the students? XD

Yeah it's ridiculous, stupid bubble, shuttle and shell sort! And I get all of the algorithms mixed up -_- Yeah it definitely helps that I'm doing A2 maths along AS f maths, I got 72/75 raw in FP1 with an hour or so revision the night before the exam because C3 was pretty helpful :3 Oh I've complained waaayyy too many times. I complained last year and then she refused to predict me an A* this year because of how horrible I was about her last year, but I was predicted A*s in everything else and I applied to do physics at uni so it didn't look good >.< About half of my class have called up to complain now but nothing has been done. I always catch her out when she's wrong though and it annoys her, that's enough for me :tongue:
Reply 87
Biology. Sometimes the details got a bit much but it was definitely interesting. Wish I'd done it at degree level :l
Reply 88
Psychology...just because :biggrin:
GENERAL STUDIES of course. (The most sarcastic comment you'll ever read).

(((((((:
I don't have a favourite. I love and hate different aspects of all my A Levels:

Maths - Love: When you finally understand a topic and it all 'clicks', you feel like a genius for a couple of minutes.
Hate: Trigonometry.
Chemistry - Love: Really interesting knowing what happens at such a small level.
Hate: The tedious coursework and the 'wall of text' questions on the papers which have really specific corresponding markschemes.
Physics - Love: The look of admiration on other people's faces when they find out you study it - everyone who doesn't do it seems to think it's 'so hard'. :tongue: Also, understanding what happens around you is really cool, and so is seeing the real life applications of it.
Hate: Tedious coursework.
History - Love: I have a weird fascination with Nazi-era Germany and World War Two Britain which, luckily, are the two topics my school have chosen to teach us! :biggrin:
Hate: Having to memorise all the dates, names, etc.
Biology. It's the most interesting and relevant to my career choice.

Some bits were gay though.
Original post by study beats
i dropped chemistry, that subject gave me a high fever, my was worried and i told her "mum i have to drop this subject, it gives me nightmares"

what a dodgy subject chemistry is...

physics content is alright, but the exams are absolutely awful....especially the way they mark it....Edexcel marks the physics exams as if its marking an immigration report, those scums

Im doing AQA for my sciences. The mark schemes arent that harsh. I think if u know what ur doin and uv put the hours in then aqa is easy... Having said that, i was putting in two-three hours a day in for chemistry before my unit one exam and was getting High Bs and As in mocks... I got a U in January. This time I'm failing properly. I've not opened my chemistry book since the unit 1 exam. I got a U in my ISA. I turn up to all my lessons but i dont focus and i dont do the work. Chemistry is torture.
I flopped everythin tbh but i genuinly have a good excuse for flopping physics. Threw up in the exam. Not in the actual exam room. Ran out first - then threw up :ahee:
Got a u in maths coz i just didnt bother revising for it. If i was doin a past paper and a question was too hard i just opened my bioligy book coz i know its something easy that I'll get right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Maths is probably my favourite. It's a really enjoyable subject because it actually makes you 'think' and apply logic, rather than just remember and regurgitate.
Original post by srhc24
ah, I didn't get to do M2, had to do S2 cause the other class hadn't done mechanics :frown: Is it as good as M1 is? :smile:
I think I was the only person in my class to like matrices, I'm gutted I'm not doing FP4 because apparantly that has a lot of matrices in :P
Usually I find f maths easier than just maths, but my teacher this year literally just reads out of the text book so I've found I'm actually having to learn things XD

M2 is much better :sexface: and who doesn't like Matricies :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Anime Lover
Yeah it's ridiculous, stupid bubble, shuttle and shell sort! And I get all of the algorithms mixed up -_- Yeah it definitely helps that I'm doing A2 maths along AS f maths, I got 72/75 raw in FP1 with an hour or so revision the night before the exam because C3 was pretty helpful :3 Oh I've complained waaayyy too many times. I complained last year and then she refused to predict me an A* this year because of how horrible I was about her last year, but I was predicted A*s in everything else and I applied to do physics at uni so it didn't look good >.< About half of my class have called up to complain now but nothing has been done. I always catch her out when she's wrong though and it annoys her, that's enough for me :tongue:

I can't even remember any of it, I deleted it from my memory 2 seconds after the exam :wink:
does everyone else have a problem with her? I'm surprised noone has done anything about it, but I guess if she's been there a while it would be difficult to doubt her..
hha I used to do that at school, made all the teachers hate me ;D
Reply 96
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

aw, it's too late to enter myself for M2, but i might just learn it in the summer holidays for fun, cause I'm cool like that :wink:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

This, matrices are my favourite part of FP3 (edexcel), I don't know anyone who dislikes them.
Original post by srhc24
I can't even remember any of it, I deleted it from my memory 2 seconds after the exam :wink:
does everyone else have a problem with her? I'm surprised noone has done anything about it, but I guess if she's been there a while it would be difficult to doubt her..
hha I used to do that at school, made all the teachers hate me ;D

Yeah I think I'll forget it as soon as I leave the exam hall XD Yeah our whole class and the rest of the year hates her! She's been here quite a while but for years people have been complaining about her, but apparently she might be fired :3 Haha I love getting teachers to hate me XD
Original post by Where'sPerry?
This, matrices are my favourite part of FP3 (edexcel), I don't know anyone who dislikes them.

Those 3 x 3 :sexface:, are they the same as in FP1 but just bigger? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest