The Student Room Group

C2 trig help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by upthegunners
I drew the graph but I not sure what I should be looking for that indicates a change in direction...

I guess it's because the negative time indicates the opposite direction and we only have 2 solutions, one positive and one negative?

No you sound a bit muddled. The change in direction occurs when the velocity moves from negative to positive.
Original post by Mr M
Yes if you just graph positive t. Alternatively you could integrate to find an expression for displacement and graph that.

I graphed +t and it's is just a steep line..
Original post by Mr M
No you sound a bit muddled. The change in direction occurs when the velocity moves from negative to positive.

Meh.. yea I am confused :lol: (Is this point I would be kicked out of your class Mr M? haha, jokes :tongue:)

EDIT: In my GCSE class my Maths teacher called us "stupid" as we couldn't do something that her "1st years could do" :frown::lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
I graphed +t and it's is just a steep line..

Oh blimey! You misunderstood me.

I want you to graph the quadratic v=3t2+3t18v=3t^2+3t-18 where v is on the y axis and t is on the x axis and you only graph POSITIVE values on the horizontal t axis.

How many times does the velocity change sign? This is the indicator of a change in direction.
Original post by Mr M

I want you to graph the quadratic v=3t2+3t18v=3t^2+3t-18 where v is on the y axis and t is on the x axis and you only graph POSITIVE values on the horizontal t axis.

How many times does the velocity change sign? This is the indicator of a change in direction.

Do I just use any t values?
Do I just use any t values?

0 to 4 will do.
Solve:fuuu.png

Okay so I draw my quadrant diagram like this:

frfrfr.png

thanks

If you're a visual person, draw the graph of y=cos2x, and then draw the line y=0.5 and see where it touches (might help you a little)?
Original post by Mr M

Hi Mr M :smile:

In the trig question I first posted about (from an exam paper) the question before it asked us to draw the graph of

Does this bare any significance to the next question? Have they included that question to help us with the next one?

(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Mr M :smile:

In the trig question I first posted about (from an exam paper) the question before it asked us to draw the graph of

Does this bare any significance to the next question? Have they included that question to help us with the next one?

Yes that makes the next bit a little easier. You will see that there are two periods of the curve and that there are 4 solutions and their approximate values.
Original post by Mr M
Yes that makes the next bit a little easier. You will see that there are two periods of the curve and that there are 4 solutions and their approximate values.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest